Cav, what do you think of this Quiche Florentine recipe?

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:22 pm
Cav, I found this unusual way of making Quiche Florentine. I would use fresh ingredients instead canned and powder. What do you think of this different twist on an old favorite? ---BBB

Quiche Florentine

6 large eggs, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cooked orzo pasta
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 can (2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 9-inch pie plate.

In a medium-size bowl, combine 1 egg, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and cheese. Stir in the orzo. Press the orzo mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate.

In a medium-size bowl, beat together the remaining eggs and garlic powder, milk and seasoning until well blended. Stir in the spinach and mushrooms. Pour the mixture into the orzo crust.

Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until puffed in the center and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 6 servings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:38 pm
It's not far off from an Italian torta, apparently also known as 'man quiche' at least according to the Queer Eye guys. I would suggest using a small, parchment-lined springform pan instead of a pie plate, just for easier access after it's cooked. Also, 1/2 cup of COOKED orzo seems a bit stingy...I might double that. Other than that, go for it. It looks sound, and of course, it will be tastier with the fresh ingredients. Wink Let me know how it comes out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 05:54 pm
Hmmm, I might make that tonight, I have some nice fresh spinach, on mushrooms I only have some dried porcini, but that's ok, methinks.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:11 pm
Cav
Cav, I also was surprised about the 1/2 cup of cooked orzo and wondered if it should have been 1/2 cup of uncooked orzo, cooked and then added to the mixture. But then you might have to increase the liquid portions. Confused

BBB
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:19 pm
BBB, orzo is just rice shaped pasta. Boil it in nicely salted water until done, drain it and run under cold water to cool off before further cooking.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:34 pm
Cav
Cav, I know what orzo is, I use it all the time. I just wondered if the recipe should have read 1/2 cup uncooked orzo, then cooked and added.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:23 pm
BBB, sounds right...

I make - I mention this as an aside - a stovetop eggplant and rice dish, out of an old Craig Claiborne paperback cookbook, that involves this and that, a certain amount of liquid, and a half cup of uncooked rice. Off the top of my head the proportions seem about the same, with the uncooked rice of course bulking up.
0 Replies