gollum

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 07:37 pm
I read that in recent years budget cuts have led to raising of thresholds for jury trials because they are more expensive.

I thought the Constitution guaranteed the right to a trial by jury. What gives whomever the right to restrict that constitutional right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,491 • Replies: 3
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 08:12 pm
@gollum,
LOL the system had been rigged for generations so that only about five percents of people charge with a crime get a jury trial.

From the very high cost of mounting a real defend [three or so millions in the case of Zimmerman] and then the overcharging to made the risk guilt or innocent to demand a trial too high for most people and if possible not granting bail so someone is looking at a year or more in any case behind bars.

To sum up the right for a jury trial is in over 9 out to ten times a sad joke.
gollum

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 02:48 pm
@BillRM,
The other 95% plead guilty or plead not guilty but ask for a judge trial?

I think the cost of a real defense could be high with a judge trial also. I guess the jury trial would be more expensive.

I wonder of those who plead not guilty and demand a trial, how many demand a judge trial and how many a jury trial.

As to granting of bail, I think it is the same whether judge trial or jury trial.
BillRM

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 08:22 pm
@gollum,
Quote:
The other 95% plead guilty or plead not guilty but ask for a judge trial?

Plead deals...............

If any larger percents of those charge with a crime would demand a trial by jury of judge the whole so call justice system would collapse.
0 Replies