Baking Yams

Gala

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 05:41 pm
Whats the best temperature to set the oven to bake yams?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,412 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 12:54 am
350 degrees for about 1 hr. should do it.

Then again, it depends on what kind of yams you are baking.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 11:27 am
Thanks, Misti. I used to have a toaster over that told the baking times of things like that. I'd make a failure housewife!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 03:11 pm
I am taking yams to Christmas dinner I know how to cook them and the variations of ways to cook them. Any suggestions or receipes that would be best for a mixed group?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 04:05 pm
JD~ I make them like mashed potatoes. Just boil them in there skins until they are tender. Then using a towel to protect your hands scoop the hot flesh out of the skins. Mash with lots of cold butter and add a small amount of milk if you need it. They taste better than regular mashed potates IMHO.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 08:26 pm
Gala, you are most welcome. You can also cook them in the microwave very easily. You can also bake them, mash them (as Swimpy stated) and do most anything with them. I often bake one in the microwave when I don't feel like fussing, they are really good!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 08:29 pm
Thanks for the suggestions.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:34 am
Misti, I'm baking some right now. 350 degrees as you said.

For those of you who like olive oil, I have been using it on (instead of butter) squash and mashed potatos for awhile. Sometimes a bit of pureed garlic steps up the flavor. It's not traditional holiday fare, but it's pretty tasty to me.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:52 pm
Sounds awesome Gala, I must try that!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 10:24 am
Misti, let me know what you think. My feeling about olive oil is that you can never overdo it. The yams came out perfect at 350. Thanks again.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 10:44 am
Gala, glad to hear it, bon appetit!

I ran out of butter one time and I put olive oil on my baked potato, it was fantastic.

It's probably better for you than butter, huh?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 11:29 am
Gala, the idea of olive oil instead of butter sounds great I think I will give it a try.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 11:58 am
Hmmmm, how about a little roasted garlic mashed with that olive oil and yam? would that work? i've only had yams a few times, so i don't know that much about them. they seem a bit sweeter than regular taters - so the roasted garlic seems like a nice match.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 11:58 am
Joanne and Misti, as long as you like olive oil it will taste good on anything you normally put butter on. I put it on toast, and yes it is healthier then animal fats, like butter. No cholesterol, and great for your complexion. If possible, use the cold pressed extra-virgin. In recent years, it's become very mainstream and affordable, so you can get high quality for a good price. I prefer Italian, but Greek and Spanish oils are good to.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 11:33 pm
Gala, I think I'm coming to your house for dinner:)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 08:44 pm
Thanks Misti, I'm off to bake some Yams right now.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 11:53 pm
Way to go Craven, bon appetit!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 01:37 pm
ehbeth, sorry I didn't see your post until now. If you like garlic and yams and olive oil then you will probably like the combination. See what you think. I like yams, but I prefer squash. In the Midwest, for some reason squash is hard to come by, so I've resorted to yams, which I like, but don't love. They are a bit on the sweet side for me, but they have alot of nutrients, etc.
0 Replies