consolidating data

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 03:12 am
I need some basic data consolidation.
we are looking for mention of certain terms within reports
For each sample(a different one in each row), we have placed a number 1 in the column corresponding to that term
We need to know how often each possible pair of terms occur in the same sample (ie how often their is a number 1 in column A and Column B, then Column A and Column C and so on to include all possible pairings).
the data is in an excel worksheet
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 374 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:11 am
@Daniel12345,
If I had to do this job, I would export the spreadsheet in Excel-tab format, read it with a programming language that has dictionaries, add a key corresponding to this pair, and keep updating the value corresponding to each key as the count for this pair increases. Programming languages that would do well for this kind of task include Python, Perl, Ruby, and Visual Basic. (With Visual Basic, you probably wouldn't even have to do the Excel-tab export.) Take your pick, and good luck!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 05:38 am
@Daniel12345,
You've already quantified the values into a binomial event (present=1, absent=null or 0). If you don't want to invest in an analysis program you can add a series of columns in your spreadsheet that calculates the sum of the two columns of interest. Then sum the results of those columns. How many columns are you dealing with? If it's more than a dozen then you'll quickly run into a issue with the number of all possible combinations. If it's a large spreadsheet you'll need to write a program or use an analysis tool.
0 Replies