Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 06:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:

So, re the title here - some Republicans are causing a ruckus.

Of course, Ossobuco, I'm surely aware that not all Republicans prey on American citizens...just look at the civil war that's going on among the GOP as we speak. The subject of my thread came about by chance occurrence....listening to Nancy Pelosi who referred to the GOP as "ideologues" zealously advocating the cutting of food stamps for the truly needy while threatening to shut down the government before allowing millions of uninsured American citizens to obtain affordable health care....Pelosi said Republicans are preying on people. I should have put her statement in quotes so there would not have been any misunderstanding or added the modifier "some" as your post suggested.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 06:47 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Well, I should listen to myself : I probably fail to distinguish folk when I am saying fervently what I think from time to time.
I reacted because were I Republican (my mother was), I'd have reacted to the title and probably arrived here talking with hostility. But I understood you meant the politically active Republicans involved in pushing the present contretemps.

Oh, and gotcha on Pelosi quote.

Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
But I understood you meant the politically active Republicans involved in pushing the present contretemps.

To be perfectly honest, my bias is so strong against Republicans that I'm not so sure it was careless typing. On Obama's first Inauguration night, unbeknownst to him, Mitch O'Connell, Eric Cantor and other GOP members gathered together to plot against the newly installed president....they vowed to obstruct him at every turn; Minority senate leader, O'Connell said his priority was to make sure Obama serve only one term and this was said publicly.

So far the Republicans have kept their word in obstructing this president except they could not prevent his reelection....Lordy knows they sure did try. So you see my bitterness regarding the GOP is deeply ingrained. But then again, I am a Liberal with a capital "L" and that has a great influence which one see reflected in my posts.

BTW, I have a couple of family members who are Republicans but no where like Conservative GOP or God forbid the Tea Party!....They are moderate Republicans.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 08:20 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I'm left, never mind liberal, but there are other mixes in there: I get some libertarian views for sure. If I look for a while, I'll pull up some conservative in the olden days sense views. That would take me a while but there is probably some nugget there. At least enough to listen.

The main thing I am is anti bomb. Don't get me started, long story already told here. pm me if you want to know.

Adds, I've expressed many times my discomfort with our feet trodding.

I'll admit to not always being clear on that, some situations.

But re our government working - puh lease.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 08:40 pm
On cutting help to the poor?

When we spend gigantic amounts of money to war?

Really, this is absurd.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

On cutting help to the poor?

When we spend gigantic amounts of money to war?

Really, this is absurd.

wpa work would not be cutting help, it would be changing how we administer the help. this is also something that both the left and the right can both support.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 08:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's nice, if you are well bodied, maybe you, at your age now.

edit to say I liked what I've seen about wpa, always have, but that was before my birth.

I do have a fantastic fat book on state park buildings, given to me by bro in law, which - if I remember, many were developed back then.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 08:56 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

That's nice, if you are well bodied, maybe you, at your age now.

or do computer work, or work for the program
as a manager....there would be plenty for older skilled infirm people to do.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 09:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
Some people have so many troubles they can hardly cope at all, including getting to the place to ask for help. Filling the forms. It's possible the beginners feel sorry for themselves and want to use a system, but those get weeded out. They might though, be starting in trouble city.

Some of us can't hear or afford aids; some of us have trouble seeing; some have trouble thinking over the pain. Some have trouble thinking because their brains are getting confused.

Go send them to do computer work.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 10:11 pm
@ossobuco,
My difference with you is that we is us.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 10:29 pm
@ossobuco,
I have faith that we could figure out some work for you.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 10:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
There is nobody out there in charge of that kind of stuff to understand both what I can do and also facilitate it plus afford to do it.

I'd start with city planning in Albuquerque, but I don't have the wherewithall.

You are actually a pie in the sky-er.

Sort of charming.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 11:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose I should say I have creds, just not mobility.
Looks like I'll get hearing aids, which - I suppose it takes a while to deal with - may leave me more confident.

Anyway, be careful what you rail against.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 11:43 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
MiT the comment Mitch Mcconnell made wasn't after the 08 election, it was made after the 2010 elections when the GOP took the house.

You forget that Obama had a majority for the 1st two years of his 1st term. Pelosi was Speaker of the house from 2006-2010 and she made sure Obama got his way. Did you forget about the famous 1st 100 days?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 11:46 pm
@Kolyo,
Talk about putting words in my mouth. I refuted Celie's comment about the vast majority of homeless being vets. The homeless vet problem is indeed a problem but once again I was referring to the food stamp use by members of the active military.

How about you engage with some reason instead of BS that I never said and didn't imply.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 11:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
The conservatives dident support government work programs during the great depression. What makes you think they would support them now?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 12:01 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

The conservatives dident support government work programs during the great depression. What makes you think they would support them now?

because corporate america now dictates the terms, and they want the government to pay for job training and to do something about the sorry state of the labor force. there is a lot more for conservatives to love about mandatory jobs programs replacing entitlement hand outs, and dont forget that manditory work is a major peice of the program that replaced welfare, a conservative demand I think.
Kolyo

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 06:30 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Talk about putting words in my mouth. I refuted Celie's comment about the vast majority of homeless being vets.

Where did she say "majority"?

Talk about putting words into HER mouth. No wonder your marriage was failure.

How about you sew your miserable mouth shut so we no longer have to listen to your BS?
Kolyo

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 06:32 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Really, this is absurd.

What's absurd is that you consider it worth your while to engage Republican cockroaches in conversation.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 07:18 am
@Kolyo,
Really? You're going to talk about my marriage? What an asshole! I'm done with you. And yes I did send you a rude message. I will not tolerate people being disrespectful just to make a jab. It was uncalled for and impolite. I didn't deserve that.
0 Replies