Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:14 am
Since developing a liver condition, I have had to rethink the way I eat, and what I eat. Although I am NOT on a restricted diet, I have come to learn, through trial and error, what foods agree with me, and what foods will floor me for the day. Some of the foods I dearly love I can only take in moderation these days, the biggie bieng dairy products. Some foods I love but don't prepare often have turned out to be very friendly to me. I am just going to list some of the dishes I have been making recently, and if there is some interest, I will codify them into recipes and post them.

Kasha with kale, artichokes and wild mushrooms
Grilled octopus and apricot salad with apricot dressing and pine nuts
Stir-fried brown rice noodles with cabbage kimchee, carrots, green beans and seared beef tenderloin
Boston lettuce, tomato, hearts of palm, marinated red onion and shrimp salad, avocado dressing

There are more to come, I am certain, but hopefully this is a good start for the thread. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,044 • Replies: 8
No top replies

the prince

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:16 am
BookMark
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:12 am
excellent path cav!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:13 am
watching and learning I have a friend with a liver condition.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:36 am
Interesting menu; the apricot salad sounds good, what does it consist of?

I know you are a Chef, however, please take caution when eating wild mushrooms as there are so many horror stories in regard to liver damage.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:44 am
The wild mushrooms would be just a few dried porcinis from the grocers, colorbook, but mushrooms of any kind in excess is indeed not great for the liver, but in moderation, it's okay. Good advice. They are fine for me, but for more severe cases, maybe not. Some chopped roasted Brazil nuts would be a good substitute for the mushrooms, in terms of flavour profile.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:30 am
Seeing as colorbook asked about the apricot salad, I'll describe it. For the leaves, baby spinach should be predominant, possibly mixed with some baby romaine, oak lettuce or red leaf lettuce.

Toast the pine nuts lightly in the oven, but keep an eye on them, they burn easily.

I like to steam the octopus first, until tender, then toss it with some olive oil and cracked pepper (octopus is high in sodium and doesn't really need salt), then grill it to get a nice crust.

Cut the apricots in half, brush the flesh side lightly with some warm honey and sear on a grill, just the flesh side, just to mark, and caramelize slightly. You can cool the grilled apricots before mixing into the salad, but the octopus is nice warm. It also can be cooled, and sliced thinly. It works both ways.

Some nice additions are thinly sliced Vidalia onion, and cherry or grape tomatoes, if they are very sweet, and a few mint leaves.

For the dressing, you need some unsweetened apricot nectar (availible at health food stores), preferably organic. Acidulate to taste with unseasoned rice vinegar, or white wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, and add extra virgin olive oil to make a vinaigrette.

Toss everything together, and voila!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:41 am
I should also add that in my research, I found that folks with liver conditions can develop distaste for previously loved foods, and develop new tastes as well. As an example, I have found myself becoming addicted to V8 lately! Shocked I hated it as a child, but all the vegetables used in the mix are liver-friendly, and high in anti-oxidants. It's also potassium-rich, and has no sugar, except for what comes from the veggies.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:04 am
Hmm, I always hated V8 too. Could be time to try it again.

I was going to ask about the octopus/apricot recipe, glad to see it posted. I had some grilled octopus at a winebar in Santa Rosa a while ago that was absolutely wonderful, and I wondered how to cook it. If I find a link to that restaurant I'll post it as it had a series of great dishes served in small portions. Not that they are all liver friendly, but who knows.
0 Replies