• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,009 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 07:33 pm
@CarlosEvc,
Why don't you tell us your preferences first? And then tell us why.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 07:36 pm
@CarlosEvc,
All kinds of art.

Drawing (comics, portraits, etc...);
paintings (abstract, oils, water paints to some degree, etc...);
animated films (high brow, foreign language, anime, etc...);
short films (site installations, experimental to some degree, etc...);
sculpture (abstract, figurative, etc...);
mixed media (see Robert Rauschenberg, Jasper Johns, etc...)
architecture

Classic art and archaelogical based art
Medieval art
Renaissance
Romantic
Impressionism
modern
postmodern
contemporary
etc....

Who's your favorite artist if you have any?
Any favorite contemporary artist?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 07:39 pm
@CarlosEvc,
Don't even start.
0 Replies

CarlosEvc

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 07:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
well i enjoy the classic's; famous artist's like monet, etc.
i'm more into comics, anime, manga. its like my calling, the way the characters are drawn through outlining and careful sketching. its wonderful.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 07:47 pm
@CarlosEvc,
Hi, Carlos. I would take me hours to explain the art I like. I probably sounded snotty on my last post and I apologize.
Anyway, keep talking..
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 09:18 pm
@CarlosEvc,
The problem with mediums such as anime and manga and some others is that it can't really be classified as "art" in the classical sense of the word. I agree that the effects can often be striking, but don't forget that they're all computer-generated. There is hardly any "artistic" effort that has gone into the creation of the finished product. Nobody picked up a pencil and made a sketch. That requires genuine talent. What the "artist" did was to sit down at his/her keyboard and create a pleasing melange. Nice work but I don't call that sort of button-pushing creative effort "art."
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 09:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Anime and the like are a computer graphic display...call it more of a type of programming...not true art. I know this might sound disappointing and elitist to some young ears. While I can appreciate anime and other types of graphical displays, it is not quite in the same category as art that's generated from a person without the help of a computer or computer program/s guiding the process. IMHO there should be a human hand unaided that's involved before I can hold it at the same level of respect.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 09:34 pm
@Ragman,
Totally agree with you, Rags. I have nothing against anime as a form of visual enjoyment. But it ain't what we call "art."

(BTW, Tom Wolfe once wrote an article on this very subject, back when the computer-generated "art" was sill something new. I'll see if I can dig up a link or reference.)
0 Replies