Flemish painting identification

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 06:41 am
Four Times of the Day, Midday
Unkown artist, oil on oak.
Paintings size: 74,6 x 56,7 cm.

I have found an interesting painting that I would like to know more about. It is an very nicely preserved oil painting (74,6 x 56,7 cm) on two panels of oak tree, painted probably around 16-17th century in Southern Netherlands (would like to hear Your thoughts on that). The frame is a later one, probably from 19th century, fitted for the painting. There have been also some restoration works done then: couple small marks have been fixed, backside has been grinded thinner and a high-quality supporting structure has been fitted.

On the painting one can see a carpenter, his assistant, a lace-maker and person (female?) holding a fish. On the top right-hand corner there is also a figure (Apollo? Mercury?).

The painting is probably made after a print (198 x 146 mm), by Jan Saenredam after Hendrick Goltzius drawing, which depicts the same scene. It is called “Midday” from the series of “Four Times of the Day”.

I was wondering if someone can help with any additional information (school, artist, anything else...)?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wtkn14r1zj8bn6s/dwnu0b0I5X

Thank You! Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 0
No top replies