Lighting for Vaulted Ceiling

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 04:53 pm
Our family room has a vaulted ceiling that is 8' at sides and 10' at apex. I currently have eyeball lights on the side slopes that produce unattractive glare into the eyes and am looking to replace them with something that illuminates well but without glare. Sloped ceilings present a difficult challenge in that the light bulbs are more likely to shine light in one's eyes. I want to either take out the present cans and replace them with a less glaring 6" can (such as a sloped ceiling can with a light that shines straight down and has a "haze"-colored cone), or I could get some kind of LED converter that fits in the existing 6" can. What would make sense to me is to place a frosted glass shower cover over a can light to reduce the glare, but I'm told this would look like several shower lights in a family room.
Does anyone have experience in lighting for sloped ceilings, and can you offer me some advice about how to reduce glare in this location?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,006 • Replies: 1
Topic Closed
No top replies

bahtah

Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:22 am
@phenie53,
I typically used sloped ceiling cans with recessed stepped baffle trims. This allows the lamps to be recessed and projects the light down from the fixture. Depending on the ceiling (white painted or darker wood finish) I used white or black baffle trims.
0 Replies