DC: homes seized for minor tax leins

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 07:50 am
Nobody could blame anything like this on Republicans. In fact I can't picture this happening in any sort of a place which Republicans dominate:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2013/09/08/left-with-nothing/

Quote:

On the day Bennie Coleman lost his house, the day armed U.S. marshals came to his door and ordered him off the property, he slumped in a folding chair across the street and watched the vestiges of his 76 years hauled to the curb.

Movers carted out his easy chair, his clothes, his television. Next came the things that were closest to his heart: his Marine Corps medals and photographs of his dead wife, Martha. The duplex in Northeast Washington that Coleman bought with cash two decades earlier was emptied and shuttered. By sundown, he had nowhere to go.

All because he didn’t pay a $134 property tax bill.

HOMES FOR THE TAKING:
LIENS, LOSS AND PROFITEERS — Part 1 of 3

Part 2 — As federal agents investigated a sweeping bid-rigging scheme at Maryland’s tax auctions, some of those same suspects were in the District, engaging in dozens of rounds of unusual bidding. Coming Monday.
Part 3 — District tax officials have made hundreds of mistakes in recent years by declaring property owners delinquent even after they paid their taxes, forcing them to fight for their homes. Coming Tuesday.

The retired Marine sergeant lost his house on that summer day two years ago through a tax lien sale — an obscure program run by D.C. government that enlists private investors to help the city recover unpaid taxes.

For decades, the District placed liens on properties when homeowners failed to pay their bills, then sold those liens at public auctions to mom-and-pop investors who drew a profit by charging owners interest on top of the tax debt until the money was repaid.

But under the watch of local leaders, the program has morphed into a predatory system of debt collection for well-financed, out-of-town companies that turned $500 delinquencies into $5,000 debts — then foreclosed on homes when families couldn’t pay, a Washington Post investigation found.

As the housing market soared, the investors scooped up liens in every corner of the city, then started charging homeowners thousands in legal fees and other costs that far exceeded their original tax bills, with rates for attorneys reaching $450 an hour......

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 509 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Philis

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 03:45 am
Yup, I saw this article also. How can this be acceptable and not nipped in the bud immediatly. He is a US citizen, an old man, and lives in the capital of America. This nation is getting odder & odder. Mad
gungasnake

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:53 am
@Philis,
The killer is that it happens in one of the most demoKKKrat-infested-controlled places in the land under a demoKKKrat president.

The theory goes that demoKKKrats are supposed to care about ordinary people; they clearly don't.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 08:28 am
@gungasnake,
"What's good for the Government is good for the country... and visa versa."
parados

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 08:31 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
In fact I can't picture this happening in any sort of a place which Republicans dominate:

Really? This is a story about government services being turned over to private companies. Republicans would never do that? Since when?

Quote:
the program has morphed into a predatory system of debt collection for well-financed, out-of-town companies that turned $500 delinquencies into $5,000 debts — then foreclosed on homes when families couldn’t pay, a Washington Post investigation found.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 09:53 am
@McGentrix,
I love those DC license plates which say "Taxation without Representation". I mean, those guys' idea of representation is Marion ("the bitch set me up the bomb") Barry.
0 Replies