what is the number of 'everyone and his brother'

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 08:19 pm
Fill in the blank: "The pool must be making a ton of money because everyone and his brother, sister, son and daughter ___ there that day."

On the one hand it's clear that if you replace 'everyone' with a different singular noun, say, 'Millionaire Bob', then the verb is definitely 'were' according to the rule for compound nouns, and if you replace the 'and' with 'along with' then the verb is definitely 'was', but in the sentence as written, 'was' feels more right because 'everyone' very strongly demands a singular verb, but 'were' seems to be more in line with the rules of grammar as I understand them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,633 • Replies: 4
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 12:18 am
@quintopia,
Was
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 12:44 am
"Everyone and his brother" is an emphatic idiomatic form of "everyone". It does not mean that each person present was (a) male and (b) had a brother and (c) was accompanied by him. "Everyone" (each person) is singular, and thus is followed in the idiom by "his". Phrases such as "and his brother", "and his dog" "and his mother/father/kid sister" etc are intensifiers and do not affect the singular nature of "everyone".
McTag

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:59 am
@contrex,
That's right, of course.
To each his own.

This reminds me of the case of "none". It is often plural.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 08:51 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
"Everyone" (each person) is singular,

False, C.

Quote:
Syntactically, when everyone is a subject it demands singular agreement on the verb of its clause; semantically, when it is an antecedent it denotes a collectivity of human beings and thus allows plural anaphoric elements.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=89

[underlining is mine]
0 Replies