neologist

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 12:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Doesn't apply here, Frank.
As far as that is concerned, we are in agreement.
Eternal punishment is a baseless threat used to control the masses.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 01:03 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I question your reading ability, Romeo. There is to be a resurrection, of course.
For the righteous.
And the unrighteous, so they will have their chance.

But what of the wicked, who have had their chance? Adam? Eve?

Some of those unrighteous who are resurrected will refuse to accept divine authority. These are the ones mentioned in Isaiah 1:20
Quote:
for one will die as a mere boy, although a hundred years of age; and as for the sinner, although a hundred years of age he will have evil called down upon him
This is what the second death is all about (Revelation 1:11)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 01:07 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: Eternal punishment is a baseless threat used to control the masses.

That's what JW's say, which confirms my view that JW's are sons and daughters of Satan..Smile
I can just imagine Satan wanting everybody to drop their guard by saying- "Relax, there's no hell, you've nothing to worry about!"

Jesus has got JW's and other satanic cults figgered out pretty good- “You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires..there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies"- (John 8:42-44)

Hey Neo I thought you were a muscleman, but it looks like Satan is tougher than you, but you can beat him once and for all by getting out of the JW's!

Satan-"Okay Silverback, show us what you got!"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/arm-wrestling_zps7b0471b6.jpg~original
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 01:52 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You realize, of course, the word translated 'hell' in the Hebrew scriptures is 'sheol' and means, not a place of consciousness, but the common grave of mankind, where, as Solomon wisely noted
Quote:
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun. (Proverbs 9:5,6)

Don't stop there, neo. The word "hell" is also used to translate the Koine Greek words Ἅιδης "Hāidēs" or "Hades," whose primary meaning is "the abode of the dead," and Τάρταρος "Tartaros" or "Tartarus," "the place of punishment in the netherworld" which appears as the verb ταρταρόω "cast to Tartaros."
worldtraveler24

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 03:19 pm
Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts with us.

I take it that you guys don't believe in eternal punishment and that hell is no more than the grave. Well the real issue I have with that thought process is that Jesus talked about hell several times. Was he just trying to scare the masses?

Take the first scripture Matt 5:22--why would Jesus say hell fire if he were talking about death only? Is there fire in the grave?

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Why would Jesus say that it would be better to pluck out your eye if it offend you than to be cast into hell?? Cast into hell? Cast into the grave?

If hell is the grave for the body then why would there be any reason to have Jesus as the savior? Your misunderstood perspective would eliminate the need for a savior. A savior from what?

Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

I will not go through all of these scriptures but how can you justify your position when Jesus spoke contrary to your belief?

It sounds wonderful to do whatever you want and have NO FEAR of hell. Sure why not? Does that not sound like "Thou shalt NOT surely die".

WAKE UP PEOPLE

Mat 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mat 11:23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Mat 18:9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

Mark 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mark 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mark 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

Luke 10:15 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell.

Luke 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 03:27 pm
Wonder if Romeo still wants to know why Christians might be afraid of dying???
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 03:31 pm
@InfraBlue,
Sorry I didn't cover the NT. Traveler's post was so long I forgot what county I was in. The word 'gehenna' is also translated 'hell' in some bibles. It refers to the valley of Hinnom, a garbage dump outside the walls of Jerusalem where sulfurous fires burned constantly to consume trash that included dead animals as well as the bodies of criminals.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 03:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
There is a saying.......there are no atheists in a fox hole.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 04:06 pm
@Enaj,
Enaj wrote:

There is a saying.......there are no atheists in a fox hole.

Yes...and it is laughed at by atheists.

What is your point?
Enaj

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 04:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You are surely fixated on "blindly guessing"as a reply, it seems; I think we all got your point long before this, Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 04:08 pm
@Enaj,
Enaj wrote:

You are surely fixated on "blindly guessing"as a reply, it seems; I think we all got your point long before this, Frank.

I have no idea of what you were trying to say here, Enaj. Whatever you were trying...you did not succeed.

Why not give it another go?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 04:09 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Wonder if Romeo still wants to know why Christians might be afraid of dying???

Sorry mate, have I missed an earlier post where you tried to explain it?
Like i've said, I've never known any Christian who's scared of dying, and when my own number comes up i'll simply think-
"Dead at last, and about time, i've had a good innings"..Smile
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 04:19 pm
Quote:
Enaj said: There is a saying.......there are no atheists in a fox hole.

Right, and stretcher-bearers in WW1 who went to collect the bodies from no mans land said they often died in shellholes clutching their bibles.

In the film 'Gravity', astronaut Sandra Bullock lost her faith years before when her young daughter died after tripping and hitting her head in a schoolyard accident.
So when she's stranded in space (her 'foxhole') she thinks about praying but says "I don't know how".
Nevertheless she can sense God is with her and after she safely splashes down, she mumbles a 'Thank you'..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Grav2_zps259c693e.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Grav1_zps31d9e15f.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/gravity-2_zps206c1270.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Grav3_zps5cf27a7d.jpg~original
Enaj

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 05:45 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
"All in the graves shall come out, to resurrection or damnation" (John 5:28/29)

All those that believe in a fiery hell of torment should consider this verse above where Jesus said "All in the graves....." all dead are in their grave, not a fiery hell of suffering and torment. Hel means to cover over such as helmet.

All dead ones are in the graves.
Also, no family, friends, priest, ministers, or church members have ever at a funeral declared that the deceased went to or is going to hell.

Romeo, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out what is obvious in the verse you posted.
Enaj

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 05:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You do not understand what it means and want it explained to you?
Enaj

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 05:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Wow, you're finally posting without saying "blindly guessing" I can hardly believe it.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 06:01 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Ahhh, someone who know what it means. Very Happy

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 06:03 pm
@Enaj,
Enaj wrote:

You do not understand what it means and want it explained to you?

Yeah. Can you get someone to do it?
Enaj

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 06:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Do you need first someone to explain to you what a fox hole is? for starters? Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 02:47 am
@Enaj,
Enaj wrote:

Do you need first someone to explain to you what a fox hole is? for starters? Smile

No. I know what a foxhole is. I also know it is not written as two words.