Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:51 am
@Leadfoot,
Whether Jesus was a real person or not or the real son of God or not it certainly it is besides the point. To claim the all western thinking has had no influence from the New Testament account of Jesus is just silliness on steroids. Typical of stubborn idiots. So whatever X Jesus we got he has undoubtedly had a major impression in our culture.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 11:13 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Thank you.

Reality must be acknowledged...
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 01:12 pm
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
So whatever X Jesus we got he has undoubtedly had a major impression in our culture.

So had the Greek mythology and culture.

Doesn't Lisbon's name derive from Olissipo, the Greek name of Ulysses?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:40 pm
Oh yeah, I see buildings for The Church of Zeus going up everywhere..
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 05:07 pm
I think a lot of religious or atheistic disputes are all ideologically driven. Ideology, perfection and control seem to be the main factors. For example, one may not agree with someone else's IDEALS which to them are not PERFECT, therefore they do not want to be CONTROLLED by this someone. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much logic you apply to your own ideal when you are explaining it to someone else. They will either agree or not according to their own experiences which has shaped their own ideology. It's kind of like watching a movie where religious and atheistic people are saying "hey listen to me I've got the best way of thinking, let me control you" I guess we will all choose whatever ideology we think is relative to us...
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 05:52 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
They will either agree or not according to their own experiences which has shaped their own ideology.
Anyone who can not think beyond their own experience is kind of wasting their time contemplating questions like this; don't you think?
Amoh5

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 06:11 pm
@Leadfoot,
Only if they deem it ideal, perfect and relative to them...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:16 pm
@Leadfoot,
No, it doesn't change the impact of the story on people. It does not in any way authorize your silly references to an invisible spirit. You have attempted throughout to suggest that there was something there, other than the delusions which people cherish, but you've supplied no evidence for your claim of an invisible spirit.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:20 pm
By the way, it doesn't matter whether or not you boy Jeebus actually existed, and i've pointed that out for years online. What matters is that people believe it. So your typically specious reasoning with reference to whether or not people claim he existed is just that--specious.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
But I do know what you mean. If one does not have the skill to think beyond their own experiences or think outside of the square, then why would they want to paticipate in philosphical discussions? I get your point and agree...
0 Replies

manden

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:45 am
What the TRUE God and father of the mankind - of course N O T God of
any of the manmade religions ( all ) - wants from us ( to our best ) :
we must l e a r n ( till now we are NOT able ) to live in real harmony ( loving ,
responsible , sharing ) with him and his creation - all human beings and the
nature ! ! !
We are very far from and and till now the mankind could NOT recognize the
EXISTENCE of its true God and father , because of its ENORMOUS EGOISM
AND MEGALOMANIA , and the mankind does not really notice that , the
people think they are rather good , BUT THEY ARE N O T ! ! !
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:11 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
"No, it doesn't change the impact of the story on people. It does not in any way authorize your silly references to an invisible spirit. You have attempted throughout to suggest that there was something there, other than the delusions which people cherish, but you've supplied no evidence for your claim of an invisible spirit."

Now that we have established that there has been considerable impact on individual lives thousands of years after the fact (or story if you prefer) I again have to point out the implausibility of just a story causing it. Without some interaction with that invisible spirit the story and its influence would have faded away after a few generations at best, especially with the enlightenment offered by modern science.

At this point I should add that the effects are not limited to just those linked to the 'Jesus story'. The entire population of earth is affected by the presence of that invisible spirit in one way or another. How you react to it can be affected by the culture you grow up in, family traditions, religious influences, etc. but most of all, by your personal reaction to that influence.

The problem is, you may attribute or attach that influence to a religion, a cult, the drugs you were taking, the one you fell in love with, the UFO you may have seen, etc. but the point is that all those other things could be quickly dismissed if it were not for that sensed spirit. Another possible outcome is, when the thing you attached that spiritual influence to fails you, you may toss both of them out.

An even worse outcome is that you tie the real influence of that invisible spirit to something unworthy of it and hang onto it. That is the origin of things like ISIS, Boco harem, doomsday cults, UFO and New Age cults and many modern religions. That's the only way I can logically explain why many totally whack belief systems survive. Even though people cannot give voice to what it is or present hard evidence of it, they sense the undeniable presence of that spirit and make a bad choice of what to attribute it to.

The other alternative is to assume that large numbers of people are inherently prone to self destructive myths and delusion. That of course is what Dawkins, others and perhaps you believe but that is not very compatible with evolution. Hard to see how such tendencies would have survival advantages instead of disadvantages.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 02:39 pm
@Leadfoot,
Sorry Set is a pissing asshole champ without a proper point but Zeus is still well known no matter how unlikely his existence is...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 06:08 pm
@timur,
I am glad we agree yes indeed Greek mythology is important for the western world but then that's trivially true isn't it ?
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 05:34 am
@Leadfoot,
It is strange for people living in Christian countries to say that Lord Jesus is insignificant. Most European and English speaking countries are Christian ones. If they stop having Christian holidays like Easter and Christmas. Then they are no longer Christian countries. I'm sure the Christian spirit has had an affect on the western world. Most people in the west were of Christian families once upon a time...
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 06:57 am
@Amoh5,
Whether it was his physical presence here or the spirit he said he would send when he left, I doubt there are any countries left unaffected. Even in N. Korea where bringing in a bible can be a capital offense, there are those who follow him.
Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 07:20 am
@Leadfoot,
There is no "there" there. Your appeal to implausibility is meaningless. But then, just about all of what passes for reasoning on your part is meaningless.

This is why i mentioned the Yellow Emperor and Gilgamesh. Both date from almost five thousand years ago. The Gilgamesh epic was sufficiently important culturally that several aspects of it were included in the "bible" of the Hebrews, such as the flood story and the talking snake. To this day, people swallow that old claptrap hook, line and sinker. The Yellow Emperor's influence was even greater. I understand that for the culturally ignorant, this cannot readily be seen because of the blinders they wear as a result of their obsession with their own superstitious fairy tales. He is credited with the invention of coined money, of wooden houses, carts, boats, bows and arrows, and his wife is said to have invented silk and taught the women to "farm" silk worms to make the fabric. It doesn't matter whether or not it is true, just as the Jeebus stories are effective whether or not they are true (and a great deal of the claptrap in the bible is not only not based in any records, but is flatly contradicted by reliable evidence). Many people attribute Daoism to him, and although they certainly don't number as the Christians do (after all, the Daoists didn't try to conquer the world the way the Jeebus freaks have done), that religion is alive and well today.

But no, you just make a feeble plea, once again for your invisible spirit, and then take that imaginary ball and run with it. Your crap is meaningless.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Mon 29 Feb, 2016 06:41 am
@Leadfoot,
Like I said to Fil, I'd rather give my allegiance to something good (to Lord Jesus from God that is) rather than give my allegiance to something bad, even if people do think its a fairy-tale, I don't care what goes on in their heads. All I know is, if you believe in good things good things will happen, if you believe in bad things bad things will definitely happen. I know I want good things to happen in my life, not all the negative doom and gloom rubbish...
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 29 Feb, 2016 07:38 am
@Amoh5,
I'm just glad I've been given enough reason to believe the spirit. With that certainty it does not bother me that some take such glee in spreading their doom and gloom. It's getting more apparent all the time why they do though..
Amoh5

Reply Mon 29 Feb, 2016 08:00 am
@Leadfoot,
Like I always say to people, if atheism, theism or whatever works for you or makes you a better human being, then that's awesome, because that is the objective. I never say that I'm perfect either, (only Lord Jesus and God are perfect in my opinion) or above any other human being. I just thank God for the blessings that I do have, and strive to be well, do well and be happy...