Man Confesses To Drunk Driving Death In Online Video

firefly

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
If he expected to keep his promise of accepting any sentencing that would fall on his head then he and his legal team wouldn't be trying all of this expected legal maneuvering.

I think a defense attorney is still ethically obligated to do the best he can for his client.

I haven't seen where Cordle is getting a lot of public support in favor of leniency because of the video. People admire him for taking responsibility for his actions, but that doesn't change what he did, or mitigate his punishment for what he did. He did a terrible thing that cost someone else his life.

Quote:
Separating an admirable confession from a terrible crime
By Leonard Pitts Jr.
September 11, 2013

Matthew Cordle does not want your admiration.

He knows some people are finding inspiration in his courage. We are told this upsets him. He thinks they're missing the point.

The point is, he killed someone.

Vincent Canzani was a 61-year-old photographer, Navy veteran and father of two daughters. In the pre-dawn hours of June 22, he was traveling on I-670 in Columbus, Ohio, when his Jeep was struck head-on by a Toyota Tundra speeding east in the westbound lanes. Mr. Canzani died at the scene.

Mr. Cordle, 22, was critically injured in the crash. As of last week, he had not been arrested. Then, without his attorney's knowledge, he recorded a video, a wrenching, professionally produced clip that makes his guilt clear as mountain air.

"I killed a man," he says. The screen is black. Somber music rises, a heavily pixilated face appears, and in an electronically altered voice, it tells the story. How he was out bar-hopping with friends. How "sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day." How drinking made him someone "people don't like being around." How he drank to excess then got behind the wheel. How Mr. Canzani paid with his life.

"Immediately following that, I consulted some high-powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced that they could get my blood test thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie. Well, I won't go down that path."

Here, he faces the camera without pixelation, speaking in his natural voice. "My name is Matthew Cordle," he says. Yes, he says, he knows this video will likely help convict him. The point is moot; he intends to plead guilty. He closes with a plea: "I beg you — and I say the word beg specifically — I'm begging you, please don't drink and drive."

Mr. Cordle's video wound up on Because I Said I Would (becauseisaidiwould.com), a website dedicated to the power of promises. He wants people to promise not to do what he did. Monday, he was arrested and indicted on charges that could put him away for up to eight-and-a-half years. And yes, that penalty would be well-deserved.

It's emblematic of our cynical times that people online have suggested the video is part of some Machiavellian plot to get a lighter sentence. It's also emblematic that you can't dismiss the speculation out of hand.

But Alex Sheen, founder of Because I Said I Would, told CNN Mr. Cordle seems sincere in his desire to accept responsibility for what he did. That opinion is persuasive. Mr. Cordle, says Mr. Sheen, is "upset that people are calling his act of confession 'courageous.'?"

You can hardly blame them, though. We see such forthright behavior so seldom. In this era, people who get in trouble parse the meaning of "is" or say "mistakes were made." They speak non-apology apologies filled with uncontrite contrition. This has become the norm.

So there is a rare, courageous integrity in seeing this very young man step up and say, I take responsibility. To acknowledge that is not to minimize the crime, nor to lionize the criminal.

He did what he did and you can never erase that or reduce it.

But there is more to the story — and to Mr. Cordle. Though we sometimes pretend you can encapsulate a given individual in a single blunt word of judgment, the truth is, humanity is more complex than that, each woman or man a vessel of traits that contradict and deny one another. It is impossible to say which one of them defines the whole person in every situation. It is also unnecessary to say. We are not limited to a single blunt word of judgment.

So we can say of Matthew Cordle, yes, we're saddened by the terrible thing he did. But we are also braced by what he did after that.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-pitts-matthew-cordle-20130911,0,1046397.story#ixzz2ecIyt7Lk

firefly

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:28 pm
Quote:
September 11, 2013
Matthew Cordle Update: Man who confessed in video to causing fatal crash is "riddled with guilt," lawyer says

(CBS) COLUMBUS, Ohio -The Ohio man who confessed in an online video to driving drunk and causing a fatal wrong-way crash is "riddled with guilt" and, despite an initial not-guilty plea, is preparing to plead guilty in the case, his lawyer tells CBS News' Crimesider.

In the three-minute video posted last week, 22-year-old Matthew Cordle admitted he caused the June 22 crash that killed Vincent Canzani, 61, of suburban Columbus. In the video, Cordle said he "made a mistake" when he got into his truck that night, "completely blacked out," and drove the wrong way into oncoming traffic.

Police in June said Canzani died at the scene after his Jeep was struck on Interstate 670.

During a Wednesday afternoon arraignment, bond was set at $255,000 for Cordle, who appeared in court in a light brown prison jumpsuit and entered a plea of not guilty. The not-guilty plea is a "technicality" that is required in order for him to be assigned to a random judge, according to his lawyer George S. Breitmayer III.

"When I get charged I'll plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I've done to Vincent and his family," Cordle says in the video. He also begs viewers not to drink and drive.

Cordle turned himself in Monday after being charged with aggravated vehicular homicide.

He is expected to enter a guilty plea before the new judge on Sept. 18. Cordle's attorneys haven't yet decided whether they will seek his release on bond.

As the media spotlight intensifies, Breitmayer says messages of support for Cordle have been "flooding" in to his office.

"I've never had a case like this in my life," says Breitmayer.

While people admitting to crimes unintentionally on social media is relatively common, the use of social media networking sites to confess to very serious crimes is somewhat new, says Lauri Stevens, a social media consultant to law enforcement.

In another high-profile case, a Florida man, Derek Medina, is accused of killing his wife and posting a photo of her body along with a confession on Facebook.

According to Stevens, the reach and breadth of social media can allow a defendant to shape their side of the story before their case ever heads to a courtroom.

"Because they have this opportunity to tell their story and do it in the way they want it told, I think we're going to see more of it," says Stevens. "They control the message, and social media allows them to do it."

Some have argued that Cordle's video may be an attempt to affect his sentence by demonstrating to the court that's he is taking responsibility for the crime.

In many jurisdictions, courts recognize early admissions of wrongdoing as a "mitigating factor" that could contribute to a lighter sentence, says David LaBahn, CEO of the Association of Prosecuting Attorneys.

LaBahn worries that the widespread support for a man who admits to causing another's death minimizes the "true victim" in the case: Canzani.

"The sadness with DUI is it's a preventable crime, and yet he chose not to prevent it," says LaBahn.

Breitmayer blasted the notion that the video is self-serving. He told Crimesider that Cordle posted the video against his legal advice, which amounts to "clear evidence" that the video is an attempt to apologize to his victim's family and urge others not to make the same mistakes.

"This had nothing to do with any legal play and any, for lack of a better word, shenanigans with the legal system," Breitmayer said. "He was riddled with guilt and wanted to make something positive come out of the tragic loss of Mr. Canzani and he's effectively doing it - he's got people talking and got the message out."...

In the video, Cordle's face initially appears blurred before the camera. Later, his face clears. He says that he's willing to accept his sentence in order to pass on his message against drinking and driving.

He faces up to eight years in prison.

"You can still be saved," he says. "Your victims can still be saved."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57602484-504083/matthew-cordle-update-man-who-confessed-in-video-to-causing-fatal-crash-is-riddled-with-guilt-lawyer-says/
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:48 am
@firefly,
Quote:
I haven't seen where Cordle is getting a lot of public support in favor of leniency because of the video. People admire him for taking responsibility for his actions, but that doesn't change what he did, or mitigate his punishment for what he did. He did a terrible thing that cost someone else his life.

Threads like this from people who admire him is proof enough that he's doing far better in his personal PR media war then some nobody drunk driver who didn't take the time and resources to make a well polished video. When the smoke clears (weeks or months from now) I bet we're going to find out there is a stronger connection between him and the producers of the obscure website that "allegedly" solely created and distributed the video in the first place.
firefly

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
When the smoke clears (weeks or months from now) I bet we're going to find out there is a stronger connection between him and the producers of the obscure website that "allegedly" solely created and distributed the video in the first place.

You could be right.

It's an interesting Web site though.
http://becauseisaidiwould.com/

The founder of that Web site appeared on the Steve Harvey Show--to explain the sort of thing he does. He seems sincere.

This was posted on the Facebook page for the Because I Said I Would Web site.
Quote:
Because I said I would.

Yesterday.

The news is reporting that Matthew Cordle has pleaded “Not Guilty.” This is factually accurate; I was in the courtroom when it happened. You may be wondering about because I said I would position’s on this matter. I mean, he decided to go DIRECTLY against his promise, right? Wrong. Because I said I would still supports Matthew and the reason WILL surprise you…

When Matthew’s lawyers told me that he was going to plead “Not Guilty,” outrage over took me in a way that I cannot even express in words. They assured me that this “Not Guilty” plea was just a formality and they had to do it. I did not believe them for a second. I assumed that Matt came to some realization and feared the sentencing he faced. It seemed obvious that these lawyers were just trying to do some damage control because they needed me on their side.

But the fact is, I know almost nothing about the law. Before shaming Matt for being a liar, I wanted to make certain that I understood the situation. I called the Assistant County Prosecutor that is working Matt’s case, Keith McGrath. This guy’s job is to put Matt away for the MAXIMUM sentence. I asked him to explain to me this so-called legal procedure that forced Matt to plead “Not Guilty” today. The answer was odd but insanely relieving. In the State of Ohio there are rules that prevent people from “judge shopping”; this means that you can’t just wait for the week your favorite or most lenient judge “happens” to be working. Since Franklin County has 17 judges that handle felonies, you need to have random judge assignment to make sure people don’t game the system. Matt pleaded “Not Guilty” today because he needed to get a random judge to maintain the integrity of his sentencing. Mr. McGrath told me on the phone that “It’s just how our court system works, you have to plead ‘Not Guilty’ to get that random judge, then plead guilty.” He said “…Matt has no choice on how the court process works.” I asked Mr. McGrath if Matt is still on the course to take full responsibility for his actions, he said “Yes.”

Some may ask “Well then why did the judge blow up in court the other day?” From what I hear, Matt’s attorneys may have messed up and didn’t clearly understand the rules above until it was too late. I think the judge was annoyed that everybody’s time was wasted. She probably would have taken the case, but the selection process could have been questioned it the future.

Matt received a randomly assigned judge today and he will plead GUILTY on September 18th. At this very moment, Matt has the ability and the means to get out on bail. Instead, he is sitting in jail and taking responsibility because he said he would. Matt, I know you can’t read this but I am so sorry for doubting you. Don’t give up the ship.
https://www.facebook.com/BecauseISaidIWould

The founder of Because I Said I Would also made a YouTube video explaining the Not Guilty plea by Cordle.

Previously, this comment was posted by them on that same Facebook page.
Quote:
Because I said I would.
September 3.

On August 9th, I received a message through the Because I said I would. facebook page from a stranger asking for my help. We receive thousands of messages each month about people's promises, but this particular message was unfortunately unique. I understand the controversial nature of this video. I made the decision to help because I believe everyone should hear what this man has to say…
https://www.facebook.com/BecauseISaidIWould

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 01:14 pm
Quote:
Man who confessed to drunk driving in viral video gets 6 1/2 years
By Kisa Mlela Santiago, HLNtv.com
October 23, 2013

(CNN) -- The Ohio man who confessed in a viral video that he killed a man while driving drunk was sentenced Wednesday to six-and-a-half years in prison and a lifetime suspension of his driver's license.

Dressed in a green prison uniform, 22-year-old Matthew Cordle addressed the Columbus, Ohio, courtroom before Judge David Fais handed down his sentence.

"Whatever my sentence may be, the true punishment is living," Cordle said.

He was also ordered to pay court costs and a $1,075 fine.

Cordle pleaded guilty in September to aggravated vehicular homicide and operating a vehicle while impaired. He made headlines when he posted a YouTube video on September 3 confessing to driving while drunk and killing 61-year old Vincent Canzani on June 22. Several days after the video appeared online, Cordle surrendered to authorities and was charged for his involvement in the wrong-way crash.

Cordle told a judge at a September hearing that he did not remember the night of June 22 because he "blacked out" from drinking too much. He also told the judge that he had not had any alcohol since the night of the accident, and that he had attended a two-week alcohol rehabilitation program.

Wednesday morning, Cordle's confession video was played in the courtroom. Fais said he felt it would be beneficial for the video to be viewed because it was about "more than Mr. Cordle." He said it was about society and the "epidemic" of drugs and alcohol problems he sees in his courtroom.

After the video was viewed, the judge read two letters aloud. The first was from the victim's ex-wife, Cheryl Canzani Oates. In her letter, Oates said her former husband would not want to see two lives lost as a result of this incident. She said she didn't believe Canzani would want to see Cordle receive the maximum sentence and that she believes Cordle was "sincere in admitting he was sorry" that he took another man's life.

"Nothing will bring Vincent back," Oates said in the letter. "I know what pain Matthew feels. The pain will stay with him until his death."

The second letter was from Herald Dennis, Jr., who survived what's called the nation's worst drunken driving crash in the spring of 1988 in Carrollton, Kentucky. Dennis said he lost several friends and suffered third-degree burns on his body "as a result of one man's decision to drive drunk." In his letter, Dennis said he has waited 25 years for a "simple acknowledgment or remorse" from the man who caused his accident. Dennis said Cordle showed "courage to surrender and take responsibility for his actions and show contrition to the family of his victim."

Rising to speak on behalf of her father was the victim's daughter, Angela Canzani. Addressing the video, she said, "I've heard about a message. The message we don't want to hear is that if you hit and kill someone -- and admit to it -- you get away with it."

"My father got a death sentence. Eight-and-a-half years is nothing," she told the judge, referring to the maximum sentence Cordle could have received. "After eight-and-a-half years, Matthew Cordle will have his life back -- my father is never coming back."

Cordle was the last to speak at the hearing. He offered another apology to the victim's family.

"It should have been me instead of an innocent man. I vow that I'll do everything I can to prevent it from happening again and his memory from fading."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/justice/ohio-dui-confession-sentencing/

0 Replies