Man Confesses To Drunk Driving Death In Online Video

firefly

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:34 pm
Quote:
September 6, 2013
Matthew Cordle, Ohio man, confesses in online video to driving drunk, causing deadly crash
By Stephanie Slifer

(CBS/AP) COLUMBUS, Ohio - "I killed a man," Matthew Cordle, a 22-year-old Ohio man, said in a video posted online this week.

Cordle says he's to blame for a wrong-way car crash that killed another man and says he's willing to take "full responsibility," although he hasn't been charged yet.

"My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22nd, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani," he says somberly in the 3 1/2 minute video posted on at least two websites Tuesday. "This video will act as my confession."

Cordle describes what led to the accident in which he killed the 61-year-old Canzani, of suburban Columbus, three months ago and says he "made a mistake" when he decided to drive his truck home after "drinking really heavily."

The video begins with Cordle's face blurred as he describes how he has struggled with depression and was simply trying to have a good time with friends going "from bar to bar" the night of the accident. He then describes how he ended up driving into oncoming traffic on a highway.

Cordle's face becomes clear as he reveals his name and confesses to killing Canzani.

"When I get charged I'll plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I've done to Vincent and his family," Cordle says.

He says that he understands that by releasing the video he's giving prosecutors "everything they need to put me away for a very long time."

Cordle says in the video that although he may have been able to "get off" or "get a reduced sentence," he didn't want to "dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened."

Franklin County prosecutor Ron O'Brien on Thursday said Cordle was a suspect in the deadly crash but hadn't been charged. O'Brien said he saw the video on Wednesday and downloaded a copy onto a CD as evidence. He said he'll ask a grand jury to indict Cordle for aggravated vehicular homicide with an alcohol specification, a charge that carries a maximum of eight years in prison upon conviction.

O'Brien said Cordle's blood sample from the night of the crash tested positive for alcohol and negative for drugs.

The prosecutor told CBS affiliate WBNS he's never seen someone confess to a crime on video before charges were even filed and called the video "compelling."

Cordle's lawyer, George Breitmayer III, said the video "is a strong testament" to Cordle's character. He said Cordle intends to cooperate with prosecutors.

Police in June said Canzani, of Gahanna, Ohio, died at the scene after his Jeep was struck on Interstate 670.

Cordle ends the video confession by "begging" viewers to not drink and drive.

"I can't bring Mr. Canzani back, and I can't erase what I've done, but you can still be saved. Your victims can still be saved. So, please," Cordle says before a message appears on the darkened screen: "Make the promise to never drink and drive."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57601687-504083/matthew-cordle-ohio-man-confesses-in-online-video-to-driving-drunk-causing-deadly-crash/

You can watch the video at the above link.

What do you think about someone making and posting this sort of video?

Is it an effective message?

Should this sort of confession figure into how this person is charged and punished?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,029 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:52 pm
@firefly,
I read this today.

I think if anything could have an impact, a true emotional heart felt video would. How much an impact - who knows.

As far as if it should be taken into consideration - I don't think so. I think the judge needs to consider what is said in court alone. As much as it does seem to show true remorse and accountability for his actions, I think the judge should determine based solely on what is presented in the courtroom. That doesn't mean he shouldn't necessarily take into account this man confessing, or taking ownership - just he needs to do so via the court system.
firefly

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 01:16 am
@Linkat,
It is a stunning confession.

And it is so rare to see someone taking full responsibility for a crime that he hasn't even been charged with yet. It does seem to be a heartfelt message to help prevent drunk driving. I hope it does have that intended impact, it's a powerful statement.

This is going to court. The D.A. will present the case to a grand jury and this video will now be part of the evidence. It's hard to tell how this video might affect any eventual sentence. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 07:10 am
@firefly,
I wonder if he will commit suicide.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 08:04 am
@firefly,
I'm taking the cynical approach on one. Clearly I don't trust the motive behind his actual confession. According to the news reporter, the police already had him as a suspect in this death. It's not a stretch to think he knew that fact. And that the video he made and published online is a strategic tactic to gain some emotional favor to his side.

The video is far too polished to be on the whim and done under the influence of great guilt. I think its a public appeal to get an open public movement to help bring leniency in the final and inevitable sentencing.

Is he an evil person? I don't think so. But are his motives for making this video solely for the sake of the greater good of the public? I really doubt it. Also I doubt this will actually stop and morally/ethically force a person on the verge of drinking and driving to reconsider getting into a car and dangerously driving under the influence to wherever they intend to drive to ... be it home or to another bar, etc....
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 08:11 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

And it is so rare to see someone taking full responsibility for a crime that he hasn't even been charged with yet. It does seem to be a heartfelt message to help prevent drunk driving. I hope it does have that intended impact, it's a powerful statement.

Where have you been this summer? Hiding out in a cabin in the northern woods of Maine and on the Canadian border but without cell phone service, internet, TV signal, and newspaper?

True the other example of online confessions popping up this summer have been more boast then Public Service Announcement-esque, but the trend has it tsunami proportions at least in the media's eyes. Murderers have posted their victim's body on their Facebook page, a guy driving recklessly posts his video on how he circumvents the entire island of Manhattan in less then 24 minutes, etc.... This guy is basically taking a gentler and more heartfelt riff on these online revelations.
firefly

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 10:36 am
@tsarstepan,
The other admissions of crimes that have been posted on the social media, or boasted about on the social media, are very different in nature than this one.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/09/tech/social-media/crime-social-media-psychology/index.html

This video goes beyond a public confession. He takes full responsibility, says he will enter a guilty plea, and that he will accept his punishment--which could be up to 8 years in jail--before he has even been formally charged with the crime. Doing something like this is pretty unheard of.

And it's not just a confession, it's a public service message to urge people not to drink and drive--and that does seem to be its main purpose.

I don't feel cynical about this video. I think the remorse and guilt this man feels seems genuine. I think his message about drunk driving is sincere and heartfelt.
Quote:
The video is far too polished to be on the whim and done under the influence of great guilt. I think its a public appeal to get an open public movement to help bring leniency in the final and inevitable sentencing.

He didn't make this video on his own.
Quote:
Cordle’s video first surfaced on the website becauseisaidiwould.com, which is described as “a social movement dedicated to bettering humanity through the power of a promise.”

The website’s founder, Alex Sheen, a Cleveland-area resident who grew up in Powell, said Cordle reached out to him through his website’s Facebook page to make the video. Sheen said he shot the video on Tuesday in Cordle’s home.

“He feels very, very guilty for what he has done and he is just struggling with this,” Sheen said. “He wants to take responsibility for this. I can sympathize with him wanting to help people.”
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/public/2013/09/05/man-uses-youtube-to-admit-to-drunk-driving-killing.html

So the polished nature of the final video may have a lot to do with the Web site that shot it and packaged it. It's not a video this man shot on his own with his Web cam, it's obviously more professionally done, and I don't think that detracts from its sincerity.

This man will be throwing himself on the mercy of the court, but there are limits to how much leniency he might get as a result of this video. He was driving drunk, he recklessly drove the wrong way down a street, and he killed someone--and he's admitting what he did. I would imagine his sentence will depend on the level of his BAC and the specifics of the accident, but I can't see this man getting off lightly because of this video, so I really don't see the video as being all that self-serving. His lawyer did not know he would be making this video. The prosecutor has already said, after viewing the video, that he expects the sentence will be toward the high end of the range.

I'm just not skeptical or cynical in this case, particularly because he made the video public even before he was charged--and he knew he would be charged and that he was handing the prosecutor a gift with this video. I think this was a brave and admirable move to try to make amends, in some way, for what he had done. I found the video very powerful and compelling.
Quote:
Cordle ends the three-minute-plus video with a plea. “I will take that (prison) sentence for just one reason, and that reason is so I can pass this message on to you.

“I beg you, and I say the word beg specifically, I’m begging you, please don’t drink and drive. Don’t make the same excuses that I did. Don’t say it’s only a few miles or you’ve only had a few beers ...

“I can’t bring Mr. Canzani back, and I can’t erase what I have done, but you can still be saved. Your victims still can be saved. So, please ...”

I hope that at least some people will be affected by Cordle's message, and that they will heed his advice.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 11:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

It's hard not to remember the thread we had about that other DUI manslaughter case that did end with the driver's suicide.

I think that making this video is helping this man to be able to live with his guilt and remorse. He's willing to accept his punishment because he feels he owes that to his victim. And, in trying to discourage people from drinking and driving, by using his own example, he's trying to do something positive to help save other lives, and perhaps he can draw strength from that.

I certainly hope he doesn't commit suicide. No matter how long a sentence he receives, he's still a young man who will have a, hopefully, long life ahead of him when he gets out. And he'll be able to live that life feeling he has paid his debt to society and to his victim.
Linkat

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I'm taking the cynical approach on one. Clearly I don't trust the motive behind his actual confession.

That is exactly why I thought it should not come into play in the courtroom. It does seem genuine and heartfelt, but one never knows. I think if he is really genuine, then he shouldn't want it part of evidence although I don't know if he personally has a choice in it.
firefly

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 04:51 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
. I think if he is really genuine, then he shouldn't want it part of evidence although I don't know if he personally has a choice in it.

The D.A. already made a DVD of the video--it will be evidence, against him, it's an admission of guilt.

This video even takes away a good deal of his attorney's ability to plea bargain on his behalf, because the confession makes it even easier to get a conviction, on all charges, the prosecution has no motivation to offer a more lenient sentence in a plea deal. And Cordle has announced he's going to plead guilty--he's not going to fight the charges--so he's likely to get sentenced near the maximum end of the range which goes up to 8 years in prison.

I think this man is doing a sincere mea culpa. He's giving up his right to fight the criminal charges in exchange for being able to use himself as the contrite example in a drunk driving public service message. He's accepting full responsibility for what he did. I find that pretty powerful.

We get conditioned to be cynical and skeptical. But sometimes people do the right thing for all the right reasons. This may be one of those times.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:34 am
@firefly,
DAVID wrote:
firefly wrote:
It's hard not to remember the thread we had about that other DUI manslaughter case that did end with the driver's suicide.

I think that making this video is helping this man to be able to live with his guilt and remorse. He's willing to accept his punishment because he feels he owes that to his victim. And, in trying to discourage people from drinking and driving, by using his own example, he's trying to do something positive to help save other lives, and perhaps he can draw strength from that.

I certainly hope he doesn't commit suicide. No matter how long a sentence he receives, he's still a young man who will have a,
hopefully, long life ahead of him when he gets out.
No matter how long he lives,
his life (and his mind) might well be fully ruined by his prison sentence.
After he enters the prison, it remains an open question whether
he will commit suicide; he 'd not be the first to do it.

When (if) he gets out, he might well be worse off than he was inside.

firefly wrote:
And

he'll be able to live that life feeling
he has paid his debt to society and to his victim
Even a talented and fully accredited psychiatrist, senior in his profession,
cannot competently prognose what this particular fellow will FEEL in the future.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:37 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Quote:
I'm taking the cynical approach on one. Clearly I don't trust the motive behind his actual confession.

That is exactly why I thought it should not come into play in the courtroom.
It does seem genuine and heartfelt, but one never knows.
I think if he is really genuine, then he shouldn't want it part of evidence
although I don't know if he personally has a choice in it.
Presumably, he plans to plead guilty; no trial.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 12:26 pm
Quote:
Lance Rinker.
Is Matthew Cordle the Hero or the Villain?
09/09/2013

On June 22, 2013 61-year old Vincent Canzani was hit and killed by a drunk driver. No one was ever formally charged with the hit-and-run which led to Canzani's death, but that's all about to change. His name is Matthew Cordle and he admitted to being the man who hit and killed Canzani that night in a profoundly unique video he posted online.

This video consists of Cordle declaring "My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani. This video will act as my confession".

But that's not all Cordle has to say.

"By making this video, I know exactly what it means. I'm giving prosecutors everything they need to put me away for a very long time. But I'm willing to take that sentence, for just one reason, so I can pass this message on to you. I beg you... I'm begging you, please don't drink and drive."

What's so unique about this video is that Cordle's message, and confession, comes off as sincere and genuine. Although he is confessing to a crime he is also delivering an intensely powerful message based on his recent experience drinking and driving. Even though Cordle killed another human being he has received an outpouring of support from those who watched his video.

Many of the comments left on the YouTube video are from users commending him for being honest, brave, and showing remorse for a horrible tragedy he was the cause of. With the sheer volume of support Cordle has received even though he's the reason why another human being is dead makes me ask the question;

Is Matthew Cordle the hero or the villain?

Two things are certain with this video confession, which makes you wonder which one of the two he is.

Number one is that Cordle unquestionably drove under the influence of alcohol, which resulted in the death of Vincent Canzani.

The second certainty is that Cordle made a video confession taking responsibility for his actions, delivering a heartfelt message about not drinking and driving, and looking quite remorseful all throughout.

With the amount and type of support received since his determined confession reports and further comments tend to share a general idea or sentiment. That sentiment is that Cordle is courageous, a generally good person, and is deserving of sympathy and others could learn a thing or two from his honesty.

While it's easy to condemn a person for being responsible for why something terrible happened, one could say it's difficult to praise the manner in which that person responds to that situation. That seems to be what is happening here.

But isn't Cordle still the bad guy in all of this? Isn't he the villain here? Someone that shouldn't be receiving praise because of the fact he killed someone by driving drunk?

That's the unusual thing when it comes to a situation such as this.

Yes, Cordle broke the law and killed someone as a result.

But Cordle is using his experience in a way that could possibly prevent someone else from doing what he did and possibly save a life, or more, in the process. He also seemed generally sorry for his actions the pain he has caused the family and friends of the man he killed. His remorse, his wanting to take responsibility for his actions and accept the consequences are what make us want to like him.

We know that what he did is horrible and he deserves to be punished, but how he is handling this life changing experience makes us want to like him in a sense. It seems almost noble, he seems like a person worth welcoming back into society once punishment has been passed onto him.

In this story Cordle is the hero and the villain, which isn't all that uncommon in the grand scheme of things. People are inherently good but we are only human and we make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes are the ones that are the most damaging but it's how we respond to these life altering events in our lives that is able to define and reflect who we are deep down most often.

Hopefully Matthew's message is heard around the world to help prevent a senseless tragedy such as this from impacting the lives of others. In the meantime it's up to us, as spectators, to allow the justice system to do what it sets out to do and attempt to properly pass judgment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lance-rinker/is-matthew-cordle-the-her_b_3883295.html

Cordle was indicted by a grand jury today on Aggravated Vehicular Homicide and operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. He will be arraigned this week and he faces up to 8 1/2 years in prison.

Cordle made an honorable decision to confess and take responsibility, but I don't feel that should make him a hero in any way, nor do I feel it should affect his sentence. He's still responsible for driving drunk and for killing someone while doing that. But the manner in which he's dealing with his situation is admirable. I hope he'll be able to handle his punishment in a similarly admirable way.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 12:17 pm
Quote:
YouTube Drunk Driving Confessor Leaves Judge 'Incensed' With Not Guilty Plea
By LINSEY DAVIS
Sept. 11, 2013

An Ohio judge was visibly angry when the man who posted an emotional video confession online, admitting to killing a man in a June drunk driving accident, blindsided the court by pleading not guilty.

"I'm sorry you all came. I'm sorry you all came for this whole big thing," Judge Julie Lynch told the court on Tuesday. "There's no reason to be arraigned here."

Lynch was presiding over the Columbus, Ohio, court for the arraignment of 22-year-old Matthew Cordle, who was indicted this week for one count of aggravated vehicular homicide for causing the death of Vincent Canzani, 61, on June 22, and one count of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Cordle turned himself in to police on Monday.

Cordle made headlines after his video confession to killing Canzani went viral last week. In the video he said he'd take full responsibility and plead guilty. But Judge Lynch told ABC News that Cordle's lawyers decided that Cordle would plead not guilty at the last minute.

"Everything was going to be guilty," she said of the court date. "I'm somewhat incensed by somebody who isn't forthright with the court."

So why would Cordle plead not guilty despite his assertions? His attorneys told ABC News that it's a common maneuver to get the legal ball rolling, and that they planned on changing the plea to guilty. Cordle, who was not arraigned Tuesday after he entered the not guilty plea, is due in court today.

"I was blindsided by the fact that we didn't go through with an arraignment, because the prosecutors that I spoke with, they knew our plan was to enter the not guilty plea," attorney George Breitmayer III told ABC News.

Judge Lynch said that Cordle's attorneys are trying to game the system. Under Ohio law, entering a guilty plea locks in the judge -- in this case Lynch. She said that she believes Cordle's team got spooked after she told them she didn't know how she'd sentence Cordle, who faces anywhere from 2 to 8 and a half years in prison.

ABC News Chief Legal Affairs Anchor Dan Abrams said that these factors can all make a difference in sentencing.

"It seems pretty clear he's going to plead guilty," Abrams said. "Once you commit to pleading guilty, there are only one a few questions left: What's going to be the sentence? And who determines that? The judge -- and which judge you get -- can make a big difference."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/youtube-drunk-driving-confessor-leaves-judge-incensed-guilty/story?id=20223748
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 12:31 pm
@firefly,
Further proof he's looking to use his video to broker a better deal with the DA by appealing to better nature of the prosecution. I'll bet he's trying to avoid any jail time when he created his PR marketed video to appeal to the public in order to get public sympathy.
firefly

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 01:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
How were they appealing to the better nature of the prosecution by suddenly deciding to enter a not guilty plea at the arraignment?

I think they were trying to get the case before another judge, other than the one on the bench at the arraignment. It's going to be a judge who decides on the sentence.

Cordle can't avoid jail time--he killed someone while driving drunk, and he's already admitted to it.

This is weird legal maneuvering.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 01:09 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
This is weird legal maneuvering.

I believe this is far more common than you expect.

That's how plea deals are forged. You don't immediately plead guilty and then try and negotiate with the DA for a better sentence. That's like selling a brand new Corvette for a $1, signing over all the legal paperwork, and then asking for more money.

The defendant pleads not guilty and his lawyer tries to convince the DA that the defendant will eventually plead guilty if the DA promises to create a better sentencing deal and will help the defendant's lawyer convince the judge (the one who actually creates the endgame sentence despite a deal being made between the DA and the def's lawer).

Quote:
Cordle can't avoid jail time--he killed someone while driving drunk, and he's already admitted to it.

Where in the law are you getting this?! I find it hard to believe that this type of crime has mandatory sentencing. That only happens in drug cases.

Just because he killed someone, doesn't mean he's guaranteed jail time. True its VERY likely he'll get jail time. Heck, if he's smart, he can maneuver "jail time [already] served" and probation as he final sentencing. I bet he's aiming for that as his final and best case sentencing.
firefly

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 01:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Just because he killed someone, doesn't mean he's guaranteed jail time. True its VERY likely he'll get jail time. Heck, if he's smart, he can maneuver "jail time [already] served" and probation as he final sentencing. I bet he's aiming for that as his final and best case sentencing.

He hasn't served any time, so he's not going to get time served.

The defense already gave up their leverage to plea bargain with that video. They could use it, however, to ask for some leniency from the judge.

This does seem to be a legal maneuver to get a different judge for the arraignment. Whichever judge presides over the arraignment is the one who will wind up sentencing him.
Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio man who confessed in an online video to causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking will plead guilty in the case next week.

The man, Matthew Cordle, entered a preliminary plea of not guilty Wednesday in a procedural move allowing a judge to be appointed to accept a guilty plea.

Attorneys for Cordle say he will plead guilty Sept. 18 to aggravated vehicular homicide to make good on his pledge to accept responsibility for the crash. His attorneys say they will decide later whether to seek Cordle's release on bond before sentencing to allow him to spread his anti-drunk-driving message...

A judge didn't allow Matthew Cordle to go ahead with a plea Tuesday, saying his lawyers didn't follow court procedures for first appearances. Franklin County Judge Julie Lynch also alleged the attorneys balked at coming before her because she wouldn't promise a specific sentence, something they deny.

Lynch has set a combined $255,000 bond.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/11/matthew-cordle-hearing_n_3905534.html

I really don't understand this sort of legal maneuvering. Everything about this case is rather unusual. But their aim seems to be to get a different judge.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 01:31 pm
Quote:
Judge postpones arraignment for man who confessed to killing on YouTube
By Randy Ludlow
The Columbus Dispatch
September 10, 2013

Matthew Cordle, whose video confession to killing a man in a drunken-driving crash generated international attention, never expected this.

He never expected the dramatic video, produced by the founder of an obscure website, to go viral and generate millions of hits and debate about his motives.

He never expected the crush of cameras and reporters that swamped him and his lawyers as a deputy sheriff cuffed him and took him to jail yesterday.

He always expected one thing, however, and still does — to keep the promise in his video to plead guilty and accept “full responsibility” for killing a man.

Watch the YouTube confession here

Cordle, 22, was indicted yesterday by a Franklin County grand jury. He is accused of driving the wrong way while drunk and causing the death of Vincent Canzani, 61, of Gahanna, in a crash on I-670 near 3rd Street on June 22.

His lawyers said the Powell man was “at peace with his decision” as he surrendered on charges of aggravated vehicular homicide and driving while intoxicated. Cordle faces 2 to 8 1/2 years in prison.

Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien said Cordle is not “a professional actor” and was sincere in hopes that his video confession would keep others from drinking and driving. Still, O’Brien said he will seek the maximum sentence.

Cordle’s lawyers said he is prepared for such a sentence, but that they still pray the depth of his public remorse sways a judge to impose a shorter sentence.

“A heavy-handed sentence could send the wrong message that accepting responsibility is the wrong thing to do,” said Martin Midian, a Columbus lawyer who represents Cordle.

Cordle has no felony record and no prior DUI arrests. His blood-alcohol level was measured at 0.19 percent following the crash, more than twice the 0.08 percent level at which a motorist is presumed drunk in Ohio.

He was scheduled to be arraigned today in Franklin County Common Pleas Court, but Judge Julie Lynch postponed the hearing until Wednesday.

Lynch said she was told that Cordle was prepared to enter a guilty plea and, when he did not, postponed his arraignment.

She said prosecutors were seeking a maximum prison sentence, while Cordle's defense lawyers wanted "half," or about four years. Lynch said she was willing to impose less than a maximum sentence if Cordle was truly remorseful.

Cordle's failure to plead guilty "calls into question the validity of being so forthcoming in his YouTube video" about his plans to plead guilty, the judge said.

However, Cordle's lawyers said yesterday, and repeated today, that their plan was to plead not guilty before Lynch, so the case would be assigned a trial judge at random, and then quickly enter a guilty plea before that judge.

His lawyers said he still intends to plead guilty and is expected to learn his sentence about a month after entering the plea.

Cordle’s attorneys yesterday said the video was no plea for leniency.

“He wanted to own up to the promises he made in the video,” said George Breitmayer III, who also represents Cordle. “He didn’t do this for any other purpose but to raise awareness about drunken driving and get some closure for the victim’s family.”

Absent his video, Cordle’s attorneys said his case would have generated little more than brief coverage in The Dispatch and on local TV news. No one, including Cordle, expected the explosion of attention, they said.

In his online confession, Cordle admitted to “blackout” drinking and then driving the wrong way on I-670, striking Canzani’s vehicle. He said he would not dishonor Canzani’s memory by doing anything other than pleading guilty.

He begged viewers of the video to learn from his mistake and not drink and drive. The video confession, posted online last Tuesday, was featured on major websites and national TV news broadcasts.

Alex Sheen, a Cleveland-area man and founder of becauseisaidiwould.com, produced the video after Cordle reached out to him in a bid to warn others not to drink and drive.

The YouTube version of Cordle’s confession — “I killed a man” — had 1.25 million views as of yesterday.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/public/2013/09/09/cordle-drunken-driving-indictment.html
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 01:52 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
He never expected the dramatic video, produced by the founder of an obscure website, to go viral and generate millions of hits and debate about his motives.

He never expected the crush of cameras and reporters that swamped him and his lawyers as a deputy sheriff cuffed him and took him to jail yesterday.

He always expected one thing, however, and still does — to keep the promise in his video to plead guilty and accept “full responsibility” for killing a man.

I believe this plainly is just BAD journalism at its worst. Even if Cordle said that he "never expected" anything and these lines are paraphrasing of Cordle's direct quotes then the journalist shouldn't swallow everything he hears from Cordle's mouth as unmitigated truth.

I suspect he created this video because he expected dramatic video, produced by the founder of an obscure website, to go viral and generate millions of hits and debate about his motives. He fully expected the crush of cameras and reporters that swamped him and his lawyers as a deputy sheriff cuffed him and took him to jail yesterday. Create a media circus and get some fans around the world to rally support for him if things turn sour media and judicial wise. Finally he expected not to have to keep his promise made in the video regarding the acceptance of the maximum sentence allowed by the law. If he expected to keep his promise of accepting any sentencing that would fall on his head then he and his legal team wouldn't be trying all of this expected legal maneuvering.