Wire markings

DennyS

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 09:41 pm
I'm in the process of running 4- #6AWG thru 1-1/4" conduit @ 100 ft run
My question is can I buy a 500 ft. Roll of same color then cut off the length needed then mark with colored tape ?
One black, one red, one white, one green
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 953 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 10:31 am
@DennyS,
Denny I'm wondering why you can't buy four 100-ft rolls of the appropriate colors

Are you asking whether your proposal might not violate statute
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 12:02 pm
Pros call re-marking same-color wires "redneck wiring". It is dangerous to have the hot and ground wires the same color, and to rely on tape (at the ends?) to tell them apart. In some jurisdictions all wire colors are specified in legal documents. NEC requires equipment grounding conductors size 6awg or smaller to be:

"identified by a continuous green color or a continuous green color with one or more yellow stripes on the insulation or covering, except where bare."

dalehileman

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 12:52 pm
@contrex,
Furthermore haphazard markings encourage the mistaken use of the "green" ground as power return, something I suspect is responsible for many instances where the a2k contributor complains of insufficient voltage under load
0 Replies

DennyS

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:11 pm
Thanks for the info.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 05:09 pm
@DennyS,
Denny, not at all
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 09:40 pm
@DennyS,
The phase conductors require no identification by code. That requirement was removed years ago, although the trade continues to use the identifications blk, red, blue (208/120 3ph4w) and B,O,Y (480/277 3ph4w) With respect to the Grounded Conductor (Neutral) Article 200.6 requires the insulation on #6 and smaller conductors to be colored (white for example) . With respect to the Grounding Conductor Article 250.119(A) requires the insulation on #6 and smaller conductors to be colored (green for example). Most wholesale houses stock #6 with white insulation and also green and will usually cut to length. You should also be able to get #6 with black insulation also cut to length. I think most of the THHN is now dual marked THHN/THWN, just make sure you get the
correct insulation.
0 Replies