Dirt Devil Bagless Vacuum Cleaner

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 12:43 pm
Has anyone had any experience with the Dirt Devil Bagless vacuum cleaner?

Specifically, I'd like to find out where I may buy the HEPA filters that go into the canister to collect the dust. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,810 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 01:02 pm
If you do a Google search on "Dirt Devil Hepa Filters" you get back a few hundred places but you can get them at K-Mart for one...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 01:08 pm
Thanks!

The problem that I encountered was that the Company changed the item #s and as a result I 've had a terrible time finding the filters.

Since my first post, I've contacted a vacuum company and received the correct item# and just now was able to place an order online for the filters.

Thanks for your response. Still can't believe how expensive they are!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 01:31 pm
Like replacement filters on HEPA air purefiers, it's best to check prices before buying. Sometimes the filters are within 80% of the cost of a new unit - filters included.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:35 pm
I have the above Red Devil and I didn't even know it had a hepa filter
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:45 pm
I have the DirtDevil bagless Vision Canister.

A repair man told me this afternoon, that this model is no longer made.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:47 pm
Just a question -- why does a person want a bagless vacuum? I'm thinking about getting a new one and I don't understand the appeal of seeing all the dirt fly around in there -- and do you empty it every time you vacuum? I have an old stick broom with a dirt cup; I just don't get bagless for a big vacuum...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:43 am
Wy wrote:
Just a question -- why does a person want a bagless vacuum? I'm thinking about getting a new one and I don't understand the appeal of seeing all the dirt fly around in there -- and do you empty it every time you vacuum? I have an old stick broom with a dirt cup; I just don't get bagless for a big vacuum...

First of all, the Drit Duster Company was having a sale. That was a stimulus to me to buy the bagless variety. THe other factor was that I couldn't find bags for my old vaccum cleaner. Thus, I couldn't use it.

Bags are expensive.

The dust doesn't fly around, since it become entrapped in the filter folds.
I try to empty it after each use. Really depends on how much dirt is collected. Cool
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 05:00 pm
Wy wrote:

I just saw this thread, so I'll address your question now, Wy. Sorry if it's too late.

The modern "bagless" vac is typically thought of as a "cyclone" or "wind tunnel" vac.

In the USA, Fantom was the first such vacuum. The advantage of the bagless design was supposedly eliminate repeated and infinite purchases of replacement paper bags.

However, it became just a sales gimmick in order to sell the public on this perception of saving money. You see, the bagless vacs all have disposable filter cartridges (much like the air filter in your car), which may cost as much as $9 to replace. With bags costing under a buck each, you can see how the filter cart. might be beneficial to the vacuum cleaner manufacturers who also make the filter cartridges.

Enter James Dyson. Mr. Dyson created (the first?) bagless, cyclonic vac. In fact, he designed the Fantom then had some legal fight (which he later won) over patents or something, so during the legal battle he regrouped and came up with a bagless vac with no replaceable filter cartridge.

His concept was to create a vacuum with maximum efficiency. This he did by eliminating the bag and filter cartridge (which clog with dirt and restricts suction).

By using eight cyclones, the spinning air throws even the smallest dirt particle out of the air stream and drops it into the dirt bin. This sounds unbelievable, but it absolutely works!

I have two Dyson Vacs which I use almost daily (I am a professional carpet and rug cleaner) and there's a very big difference in dirt pickup with a Dyson over any other vacuum I've used, including commercial models.

Anyway, with the Dyson, you get great suction that doesn't diminish as the bin fills up. You never have to buy filters, bags, nor belts (the Dyson belt is protected by a clutch on the brush, so if you jam the brush, you don't burn up the belt).

Dyson just came out with a canister model which has 12 cyclones. This is a great vacuum also!

I know a lot about carpets, vacuums, and Dyson vacs. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Have you ever seen a glamour photo of a vacuum cleaner?
http://www.mastercleaner.com/txt_bw_Dyson_Yellow_lightened_96.jpg

General Tsao
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 05:07 pm
My cleaner really does suck up the dirt. The first time I used it, it almost sucked my jeans off my liegs!!

Each filter lasts about 6 months. If you clean the filter out each and every time, you use the vacuum, you should not have trouble.

One problem that resulted, was when the Dirt Devil people changed their method of labeling the parts.
This was a really beig headache, when I tried to order something online.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:31 pm
Sounds like a major innovation. My old Eurika just wouldn't cut it after a year or so. Then they told me there was a bag in there, somewhere
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:46 am
i'm still not crazy about dumping the dirt out of the filter. It can really be a big mess, especially when done outside with a wind blowing on you.
0 Replies