If you had to pick one all-time favorite movie...

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:38 pm
@Thomas,
I watched every episode of the "Battlestar Galactica" series (all whatever seasons) with daughter M when she spent some time with us earlier in the year. Plenty of shoot-em-up dem robots in that.
JPB

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, I just think he's terrible. I'm not alone.

That's kind of how I feel about Jim Carrey. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I've just never liked any movie I've ever seen him in.
JPB

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I didn't walk out, and I really like Jacqueline Bisset and Robert Shaw, but that was not a good movie!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

guilty pleasure: Wallstreet.
watch over and over: Good Will Hunting, Blade Runner, Total Recall.
0 Replies

ossobuco

@ehBeth,
The only film I didn't walk out of since I was with my husband and didn't want to sit in the lobby for hours so I slid down in my seat and tried to think of other matters - Fellini's Satyricon. There must have been others I felt as unpleasantly bored with, but that one comes first.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:44 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

What did he whisper to her??? I got's to know?

Ha!

I actually googled that at one point and there's no knowing for sure.
JPB

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:47 pm
@hamburgboy,
Yes!

loved that one.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I guess I'm the first to answer with a animated film as well as a nonEnglish language AKA Foreign film with Hayao Myazaki's Spirited Away.

I watched that with my daughters. Very poignant.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:54 pm
@JPB,
There's an idea for a thread, What did he whisper in her ear?, suggestions.
I'd guess he said ''Hmmm, what shampoo are you using?''

As for Jim & Adam, every dog has its day....

The Truman Show - Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

50 First Dates - Spanglish
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
We took the girls to all the 'Lord of the Rings' movies on three consecutive New Years Eves. An 8:00 start got us out at 11:40(ish) which gave us time to jump in the car, get home in time for a toast, and send everyone to bed.

Not too far into 'The Two Towers' (the second one) an older couple stood up, walked out, and left no doubt whatsoever that they wouldn't be back for episode three. I've never seen anyone make a display of leaving a movie before (not that you said you've done that) but it was very memorable.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
I hope so, just hope it doesn't take as long to happen as it did with Blade Runner.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 06:11 pm
@JPB,
If you can handle Galactica, you can handle Blade Runner.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 06:38 pm
@JPB,
Well, the first Chris Reeves Superman movie, I didn't really make a fuss. I just asked my wife if she wanted to stay or go. (I was aggravated that Lex Luther was playing like a refugee from the Batman TV series after I payed good money for tickets). We merely strolled out.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 06:42 pm
Went to a matinee at a bargain cinema...believe I plunked down $2.00 to watch The Waterboy with Adam Sandler.

It was so grating that I strolled out like edgar did

Man , those people must have been going"What a cheapskate"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 06:48 pm
You walked out on an Adam Sandler movie? What ever possessed you to go in the first place?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:11 pm
It's not fair to have to pick just one. Minute I hear the words "favorite movie" at least a half dozen trailers start playing in my head all at once. And you know what? Almost all of them (a couple of exceptions) are b&w. High Noon. Finest Western ever made, imo. Citizen Kane. The Third Man. Graham Greene's screenplay alone is worth the price of admission. (Trivia: did you know that the line line about the Italians and the Swiss and the cuckoo clock was not written by Greene? Welles came up with it on the set and Greene heartily approved of its insertion. Greene himself tells this in his introduction to his novelization of the screenplay which represents a substantial departure from the filmed version. Greene had an all-English cast in mind but rewrote the script to accommodate Joseph Cotten.) Casablanca. Maybe that's the one. Treasure of Sierra Madre, perhaps the second greatest Western ever filmed (if you can consider it a Western). It's the first adult movie I remember ever seeing as a seven-year-old. (My folks couldn't get a baby-sitter and took me with them. The Maltese Falcon. I could go on and on and maybe, in time, I'd run across a Technicolor jobbie.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I like all of those, Andrew.
JPB

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 08:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too, edgar, and I think I've only seen each of them once.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 08:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Like all of those, of course.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 08:18 pm
I guess there's been many "favorites" when it comes to movies, but the first time I saw The Sound of Music's opening scene, it sent shivers through my body it was so beautiful. When Psycho came out, I was living in Chicago, and went to see it with a friend. I got so scared, I had to walk out into the lobby for awhile. I saw Tuskegee Airmen recently, and really enjoyed that movie about the black pilots during WWII. Been watching a lot of oldies-goodies before I hit the snooze land - even Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour. Even watched one of Charlie Chaplin's earliest movie.