Using comma or not before "which"

NickF

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 10:19 pm
Hi All,

If I write a sentence like this: "The latest version of Windows is 8 which is better than version 7". Should a comma precede the word "which" or not? I am quite confident that a comma is required in there (and is not optional, but compulsory), but a colleague says the sentence does not need any comma.
By the way, I am not disputing if Windows 8 is better than Windows 7, that discussion would belong to a different forum Smile

Regards,
Nick
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 907 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:30 pm
@NickF,
Correct... a comma is appropriate.

When, and if, you write "The latest version of Windows is 8 and is better than Version 7," then no insertion of comma is appropriate in that case.
NickF

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:44 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks Ragman. I also asked my colleagues and one of them answered me a comma should be used, one that she would use the comma, another one that I can use a comma if I want to, but it is not important. My colleague, who I was advising to use the comma (because I have to sign his documents) did not want to use the comma (because MS Word did not correct him!) and another colleague said that using the comma would be incorrect Smile
Probably most people would not be bothered about that (missing) comma in a technical document, but the sentence without a comma was jumping at my eyes Smile

Regards,
Nick
roger

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:54 pm
@NickF,
If we're voting, I vote with Ragman.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 02:16 pm
@NickF,
Nick you can also write "The latest version of Windows is 8, better than 7" or even "Windows 8, latest, is better than 7"
0 Replies