tsolo

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:56 pm
I'm estimating a loss of 21 volt on my incomming power line even though I'll be using 250mcm wire. Can I use a buck and boost transformer at the house to get the voltage up again?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,085 • Replies: 9
Topic Closed
No top replies

dalehileman

Tue 20 Aug, 2013 01:36 pm
@tsolo,
I'm no electrician Tso so don't know whether that wire size is adequate but what's your 21-v estimate based upon and why can't you use bigger wire
Placid Carcass

Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:16 pm
@dalehileman,
LOl 250 mcm for a residential service, that is overkill, by a large margin. Standard homes generally dont have bigger than 4/0.
dalehileman

Wed 21 Aug, 2013 10:08 am
@Placid Carcass,
Then why do you suppose Tso expects such a voltage drop
0 Replies

onechaos

Wed 21 Aug, 2013 09:30 pm
@dalehileman,
Also not an electrician here but I'd guess he has a long run (very long for that kind of drop, or he's miscalculated the drop?) from the nearest transformer to his house, a rural setting maybe? I don't think 250MCM is that much bigger than 4/0, it is the next size up but as noted is not residential standard. I think he's asking about a step-up transformer and expect that is what he may need, unless he can get the power company to tap the transformer feed higher to compensate. Just a diy hobbiest's thoughts though.
onechaos

Wed 21 Aug, 2013 09:57 pm
@onechaos,
P. S. Got curious and taking a break from work, quick calculation for that kind of voltage drop... I'm guessing a service run of about 2 miles from the transformer?
0 Replies

bahtah

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 11:54 pm
@tsolo,
Tsolo, what is your load, what is the voltage and distance from the source? If you have a large plot of land with a home located a long distance from where your service panel will be located there are some options (buck-boost is not one) but more information would help.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sat 24 Aug, 2013 01:00 pm
@tsolo,
You can boost using stepup but if the problem is a long, high-resistance lead-in you will still have a lot of voltage fluctuation dependent on changing load
0 Replies

gensetservices

Tue 3 Sep, 2013 02:19 am
@tsolo,
I guess boost transformer would be of mighty help. Good luck
0 Replies

Placid Carcass

Thu 5 Sep, 2013 10:04 pm
@tsolo,
I would say a transformer should not considered as a first solution. There is a reason why you are getting voltage drop and it would be best to discover why before comitting to anything.

First off at which point on the connection did you take your measurement? Lugs in panels? At the top of your mast (if you have an overhead service)? What phase is showing the voltage drop? did you test both phases to ground than phase to phase? What were the results of that?

With that information, a good picture of the problem could start to be formed.
0 Replies