dcodom

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 10:11 am
Here is the environment...

Location 1 - Power meter/Main Breaker Panel

From Location 1 I am running power to another location 100 feet away on a 60 amp circuit with 6 awg THHN wire.

No power ran to anything else.

Location 2 - 60 amp Breaker Panel

No power issues in this location.

From Location 2 I am running power to another location 120 feet away on a 60 amp circuit with 6 awg THHN wire.

2 florescent lights running here.

Location 3 - 100 amp Breaker Panel (Mainly for future plans) - 15-30amp breakers

Only have one outlet wired. Nothing else.

Situation:
I plugged in two separate lights and both cause voltage to drop to 83 volts AC.

I have checked voltage with nothing plugged in and I get a reading of 120v on each hot, 240v checked on both hots. It also read out 60 hz. So it looks to be all hooked up correctly.

I am at a loss on what is wrong.

HELP!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 11:34 am
@dcodom,
You need a licensed electrician. Somewhere there could be a short or a partial ground but why guess at it? Seeing you tried it yourself and failed, logically it would be the next step.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 11:38 am
@dcodom,
Maybe Dco you have a high resistance return. That is, for instance, your black or cold wire doesn't return to the power source but to an "earth" or "partial" ground--per Rag above--such as used for outlet and switch boxes
engineer

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:00 pm
@dcodom,
Where are you checking power when you plug in the lights?
dcodom

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 06:05 am
@engineer,
At the panel and at the outlet.
0 Replies

dcodom

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 06:06 am
@engineer,
I knew there was a problem when the lights worked but were very dim
0 Replies

dcodom

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 06:52 am
@dalehileman,
When the power company hooked up the power I was not able to get 120v using their neutral line coming in. So they, after testing said that they did not know why it was not working and said to use my grounding block for the neutral and ground, and charged me $$$ for checking the panel. This is working fine in the two buildings which are all using the same neutral/ground. On the third building I thought I could save money on the third (neutral/ground) wire and do the same as I did at the 1st panel. I have both hots coming in and using a grounding rod like I did in the first building. I have never had a neutral from the power company not working correctly.

In regards to Rag's comment:
I would assume that the person that came to my house from the electric company is a licensed electrician, and that if he said to hook it up a particular way that it would be the right way. So if now I would have hired another "licensed" electrician he would have charged me to tell me that there is an issue and that the electric company would need to fix, and the battle would begin between what two electrician's are telling me.

This is why I use forums. We come here to get help and information, and to learn more, which dalehileman is giving, and is much appreciated. I did not come here to have Rag tell me to hire an electrician. If I get in too deep I know that I need to hire an electrician. I have done many electrical jobs in the past and never had any issues both residential and commercial. I generally do not hook up the "main" panel with the mains coming from the electric company, I generally only deal with anything after the "main" connection.

Ultimately my message to Rag is... If you want to comment and help someone, help them by educating them, otherwise say nothing at all. We do not come here to get the canned " Hire a "Professional" " phrase. This is why we come to the forums.

Dalehileman... I greatly appreciate your information and I think it is leading me to what I need to do in order to resolve the issue. Ultimately I can just run the neutral/ground wire from the second building where everything is working, which should solve the issue.
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 07:04 am
@dcodom,
My question back to you is why didn't post ALL of that background info in the first place? You never stated you consulted an electrician. Had you done so initially, I wouldn't have answered the way I did. No need to ruffle any feathers over the matter.

When you look around this site for a short history of similar such questions, you'd see the majority who NEVER contacted an electrician in the first place for an in-depth issue such as this one. Many people are trying to save a buck (generally understandable trait) but risk safety and/or sanity.
0 Replies