farm craft

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 02:21 am
And he told her of a whole world, or rather of several intermingled worlds, set apart in this sleepy hollow in the hills, of beast lore and wood lore and farm craft, at times touching almost the border of witchcraft—passing lightly here, not with the probing eagerness of those who know nothing, but with the averted glance of those who fear to see too much.

What does "farm craft" mean here and what's the subject of the phrase" passing lightly here"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 432 • Replies: 1
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 02:48 am
Ah. Saki, who wrote sort of modern fairy tales, stories of the supernatural, of magic, of fantasy, "tales of wonder". Probably farm craft would be not agriculatural science, but rather the magic needed to make crops grow, the spirits who need to be propitiated to bring just enough rain, who could curse your crops or bless them, the inner spirits of animals, their supernatural guardians, the rituals you have to go thrugh to insure a bountiful crop or fat animals--things like that i.e. fantasy. "Passing lightly over that" probably means just hinting at these kinds of things, because it can be dangerous or disturbing to look deeply at them. (This is all fantasy, remember, Saki did not generally deal with cold, hard reality).
0 Replies