I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

igm

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't believe anyone could be certain about what you mean by this sentence.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Can you mention one item the Buddha taught about "the true nature of REALITY" that you know cannot be an illusion or a guess?

I asked you to explain your term, 'illusion' are you saying it means 'guess'? Why you would ignore what I've just said in my last post and not answer my request for clarification is impolite, I can't see what else it could be. I even tried to go for its most likely meaning.

igm wrote:

Your first point is ambiguous... it could just mean, is it possible to tell if Buddha could have been correct or incorrect about the true nature of reality. The answer would be, I don't know that is what I'm trying to find out but so far he hasn't been proven wrong... to me in my investigations. Is that what you mean? If not in what sense are you using the term, 'illusion'?

neologist

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:41 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
neologist wrote:
Could you explain how honoring ancestors differs from ancestor worship?
That's easy... no. The Buddha never taught that you can help to end suffering by honoring your ancestors... as far as I'm aware... I can't imagine how that would fit into his teachings or why.
Then why is it considered acceptable?
igm

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:45 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

igm wrote:
neologist wrote:
That's easy... no. The Buddha never taught that you can help to end suffering by honoring your ancestors... as far as I'm aware... I can't imagine how that would fit into his teachings or why.

I don't know, neo. See my OP, I am willing to talk about the Buddha's teachings and how I personally understand them. As far as I'm aware the Buddha did not teach about those things... as I've already explained in my last post to you.

So, unfortunately neo, I can't help you.

Frank Apisa

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 02:00 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

I don't believe anyone could be certain about what you mean by this sentence.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Can you mention one item the Buddha taught about "the true nature of REALITY" that you know cannot be an illusion or a guess?

I asked you to explain your term, 'illusion' are you saying it means 'guess'? Why you would ignore what I've just said in my last post and not answer my request for clarification is impolite, I can't see what else it could be. I even tried to go for its most likely meaning.

igm wrote:

Your first point is ambiguous... it could just mean, is it possible to tell if Buddha could have been correct or incorrect about the true nature of reality. The answer would be, I don't know that is what I'm trying to find out but so far he hasn't been proven wrong... to me in my investigations. Is that what you mean? If not in what sense are you using the term, 'illusion'?

I asked you that question a long time ago...and you still have not answered it. You beaten around the bush.

Name something the Buddha taught was part of "the true nature of REALITY"...and let us see if it is that reasonable, observable...absolutely not illusionary thing you seem to be suggesting it is.

So...name something.
igm

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 02:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Name something the Buddha taught was part of "the true nature of REALITY"...and let us see if it is that reasonable, observable...absolutely not illusionary thing you seem to be suggesting it is.

So...name something.

I've already answered this kind of question, 2 pages back! What do you guess is wrong with this answer?

igm wrote:

The Buddha says that the true nature of reality is:
Not existent.
Not nonexistent.
Not both existent and nonexistent.
Not something alternative to existent, nonexistent or both existent and nonexistent.

Also, what has this to do with the Buddha’s core assertion that, ‘He can show what suffering is and show how to put a complete end to it, if people want to follow his teachings and they follow them correctly and for long enough?

Frank Apisa

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:00 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

So...name something.

I've already answered this kind of question, 2 pages back! What do you guess is wrong with this answer?

igm wrote:

Not existent.
Not nonexistent.
Not something alternative to existent, nonexistent or both existent and nonexistent.

Also, what has this to do with the Buddha’s core assertion that, ‘He can show what suffering is and show how to put a complete end to it, if people want to follow his teachings and they follow them correctly and for long enough?

I did respond to that.

But all that does is to describe what logic dictates that REALITY has to be.

Aliens on other planets could be described that same way...and you know it.

Name something specific that the Buddha taught was part of "the true nature of REALITY"...and let us see if it is reasonable and observable...rather than possibly illusionary.

C'mon...do it.

Or...(and this is a fine, reasonable response)...simply acknowledge that you cannot.
igm

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

igm wrote:

Not existent.
Not nonexistent.

Name something specific that the Buddha taught was part of "the true nature of REALITY"...and let us see if it is reasonable and observable...rather than possibly illusionary.

C'mon...do it.

Or...(and this is a fine, reasonable response)...simply acknowledge that you cannot.

Those are the teachings in a nutshell... the true nature of reality is explained as I have quoted. I can't give you a positive attribute for the very reason explained in that quote above.

If you don't understand why I can't say anything else about the true nature of reality it's because you don't understand the full consequences and ramifications of that quote. Unless of course you'd like to explain?

I've already said, first things first but you want to jump to, 'the true nature of reality', as I explained in several previous posts... when you've understood one part of the teaching it will naturally lead on to the next.

In other words, all phenomena have no independently existing characteristics.

The fundamental teachings of the Buddha are always couched in negative terms because e.g. you could describe golf but that wouldn't 'be' golf... only golf itself is golf, the description can never actually be it... obviously.

vikorr

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:34 pm
I would offer a couple of observations on the posts since my previous post :

- In Science, there are theories, and laws. Theories aren't proven. In other words, there is not hard evidence for them. But even theories can be treated very seriously, and doing so has lead to almost all the major scientific advancements (ie. most discoveries started off as theories)

- psychology is starting to sound more and more related to Eastern Mysticism. Psychology of course, attempts to base itself on science.

I'm not saying everything in Buddhism is right. This is merely a comment both on the previous posts, and on the relative value of things.
Frank Apisa

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:46 pm
@igm,
Quote:
I've already said, first things first but you want to jump to, 'the true nature of reality', as I explained in several previous posts... when you've understood one part of the teaching it will naturally lead on to the next.

In other words, all phenomena have no independently existing characteristics.

The fundamental teachings of the Buddha are always couched in negative terms because e.g. you could describe golf but that wouldn't 'be' golf... only golf itself is golf, the description can never actually be it... obviously.

I see. Sorta like a Catholic telling you that if you finally “learn” that Jesus was reincarnated…then stuff like the trinity; the assumption of Mary bodily into Heaven; and transubstantiation become a snap.

Igm…think about what you are saying.

igm

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
How you've come to that conclusion... I guess I'll never know; but you'll need to give reasons, in order to convince anyone who isn't just swayed by (in my opinion) empty baseless rhetoric on your part.

maxdancona

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 04:09 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:

- In Science, there are theories, and laws. Theories aren't proven. In other words, there is not hard evidence for them. But even theories can be treated very seriously, and doing so has lead to almost all the major scientific advancements (i.e. most discoveries started off as theories)

The difference I am making between Science and Buddhism (or any other religion) is that we trust science to provide tangible benefits to anyone (whether they understand the science or not). We travel on airplanes and depend on CAT scans and X-rays. You have a reason to trust in these things; it is undeniable to airplanes get us places efficiently and that CAT scans save lives.

Science gives us smart phones and laser surgery. Religion gives us dharma wheels, kosher laws and snake handling.
Frank Apisa

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 04:49 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

How you've come to that conclusion... I guess I'll never know; but you'll need to give reasons, in order to convince anyone who isn't just swayed by (in my opinion) empty baseless rhetoric on your part.

Lemme give you a hand figuring it out, igm.

In posting

http://able2know.org/topic/220485-8#post-5420007

You wrote: “…but the reason that it is less likely that it is illusionary are the teachings of the Buddha on the true nature of reality for example.”

In the next post, I asked:

”What did the Buddha teach about the true nature of REALITY that you know cannot possibly be illusionary?”

You didn’t answer it…instead you asked a bunch of questions designed to deflect the question.

But I answered your questions…and asked my question again.

To date, you have not truly answered that question.

The mush you served up instead was:

Not existent.
Not nonexistent.

Garbage.

But, I guess in your mind it beats simply acknowledging that NOTHING the Buddha taught about the true nature of REALITY cannot possibly be illusionary…including the garbage you posted here. All of that can be illusionary…just as all of what we refer to as “the real physical world” could be an illusion.

You bit off considerably more than you could chew here, igm. I congratulate you on the attempt, but by now I suspect there are Buddhists in this forum who feel you would help more….by not helping!
neologist

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 06:58 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
neologist wrote:
igm wrote:
neologist wrote:
I don't know, neo. See my OP, I am willing to talk about the Buddha's teachings and how I personally understand them. As far as I'm aware the Buddha did not teach about those things... as I've already explained in my last post to you.

So, unfortunately neo, I can't help you.
The honoring of ancestors is widely practiced by Buddhists. Is this part of Buddhism or not?
vikorr

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 01:41 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The difference I am making between Science and Buddhism (or any other religion) is that we trust science to provide tangible benefits to anyone (whether they understand the science or not). We travel on airplanes and depend on CAT scans and X-rays. You have a reason to trust in these things; it is undeniable to airplanes get us places efficiently and that CAT scans save lives.

Science gives us smart phones and laser surgery. Religion gives us dharma wheels, kosher laws and snake handling.
I'm aware of the physical benefits of science...however, it's more apples with apples to compare religion (which is mostly of the mind) to science of the mind (ie psychology, neuroscience etc).

Certainly in terms of tangible benefits, religions tend to provide :
- a place of belonging / a social group
- support personnel for problems
- community aid
- education facilities
- hospital facilities
- health programs
- wonderful architecture
- a place where public singing is accepted
etc

Is there a reason you chose beads/wheels rather than any of the above examples?

...in any event, in the end, religion is mostly concerned with the mind. Hence comparison with science would probably be most appropriate with it's psychology/neuroscience branches.
0 Replies

igm

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 02:58 am
@neologist,
The Buddha never taught this... as I've already said, neo.
igm

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 03:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
More rhetoric, Frank and now you've added the need to patronize me. There are many thousands of pages of philosophy explaining those four lines on the true nature of reality. You are aware of none of them but you attempt to refute them all with rhetoric and not one reasoned argument.

Buddhism is about: There is suffering. Suffering has a root cause. If you remove the root cause then that puts a complete end to suffering. There is a path with eight parts to it, that if followed correctly removes the root cause and puts a complete end to suffering.

Buddhism is not like other religions because it doesn't believe in things such as the unfindable... creator god, soul, heaven and hell. It doesn't believe in original sin. It can live happily alongside science and is not in conflict with it.

Buddhism is basically a teaching on cause and effect i.e. when certain causes and conditions are present there will be an effect... nothing very religious about that.

igm

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 03:48 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Not existent.
Not nonexistent.

This is a very tiny example of Buddhist philosophy and how (in this one tiny example) those four lines are used:

"If a creator is the cause of creating something other,
Is [the effect] existent? Non-existent? Or both? Or neither?
If existent, why a producer. If non-existent, what is created?
If both, or neither, what could create it?"

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:43 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

More rhetoric, Frank and now you've added the need to patronize me. There are many thousands of pages of philosophy explaining those four lines on the true nature of reality. You are aware of none of them but you attempt to refute them all with rhetoric and not one reasoned argument.

Buddhism is about: There is suffering. Suffering has a root cause. If you remove the root cause then that puts a complete end to suffering. There is a path with eight parts to it, that if followed correctly removes the root cause and puts a complete end to suffering.

Buddhism is not like other religions because it doesn't believe in things such as the unfindable... creator god, soul, heaven and hell. It doesn't believe in original sin. It can live happily alongside science and is not in conflict with it.

Buddhism is basically a teaching on cause and effect i.e. when certain causes and conditions are present there will be an effect... nothing very religious about that.

You are as close-minded as a Buddhist as some Christians are close-minded on Christianity.

It is a religion...it is about "beliefs"...as you affirm in your title.

You do Buddhism no particular favor by doing what you are doing here...but I doubt you can see that.

You suggest that Buddhism is essentially about discovering the root cause(s) of suffering and removing it...thus eliminating suffering.

So the Buddhist nations ought to be the ones with the least suffering.

How ya doing with that, igm?
izzythepush

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:50 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I may be wrong, but I don't think they show Keeping Up With The Kardashians in Bhutan. That's a major source of suffering removed in one fell swoop.
Frank Apisa

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:52 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I may be wrong, but I don't think they show Keeping Up With The Kardashians in Bhutan. That's a major source of suffering removed in one fell swoop.

Ouch! You do have a point there, Izzy. And they also do not show Real Housewives of New Jersey.