Urgent computer question.

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:23 pm
I turned my computer off before leaving for work this morning (@7AMish) and was told/prompted by the shut down process that Windows was updating (11 updates). Before I left it was on 7 out of 11).

I never have a problem doing this until now. This evening I come home to find the computer still on and stuck on the 7th out of 1q updates. Clearly it crashed while updating. Should I just shut it down manually and hope nothing is royally broken in the OS? Or do something else?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Clearly it crashed while updating. Should I just shut it down manually and hope nothing is royally broken in the OS? Or do something else?

If it crashed, the damage is already done. I doubt you can make it worse by pressing the power button long enough to shut it down and then rebooting.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:22 pm
@Thomas,
Thanks Thomas. I did shut it off manually and turn it back on. So far... ((knock on wood)) ... no detrimental symptoms have shown themselves.
Roberta

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Relieved to hear it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, that's what the software gremlins want you to believe.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:28 pm
@Thomas,
(((SHHH!))) Those gremlins are close cousins to the a2k hamsters. They read these threads on a daily basis.
0 Replies

edgarblythe
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:47 pm
When the Lord created computers he gave them free will. So you just never really know.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Shut it down. Had to do that myself this morning. No worse for wear. Just had to redo the updates again after the reboot.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 02:40 am
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 04:09 am
@izzythepush,
I heard rumors that the IT Crowd is making a very special reunion show. Surprised
izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 01:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
It would be good. A lot is down to the writing skills of Graham Linehan, Black Books and Father Ted are comedy gold. His latest, on BBC this time, Count Arthur Strong is well worth a look. It just finished a 6 part series on Tuesday.

Oh I've not heard anything about an IT crowd reunion, but I hope you're right.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 01:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
This evening I come home to find the computer still on and stuck on the 7th out of 11 updates. Clearly it crashed while updating.

I've just upgraded to a Toshiba laptop running Windows 8 - only had it for a week, but already had a problem with Windows updates - took almost two hours in total.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 01:44 pm
@vonny,
I hate when I go to bed and then am informed that Windows has to update my laptop. They tend to be long updates as well.

If they warned me earlier then I would have turned it off much earlier that night.

So I basically leave the computer on and try not let the bright screen keep me awake. I also keep worrying that it'll take too long and overheat.
vonny

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 02:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
[img]. I also keep worrying that it'll take too long and overheat. [/img]

That's my biggest fear too! Usually ends up with me losing an hour or two of sleep because I'm waiting for it to finish. Scared that if I just switch it off abruptly, I'll damage the laptop!
Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 12:11 pm
@vonny,
There's no damage that would be done by interrupting an overly long download. One way to get out of this is for you to press Ctrl, Alt, Delete..and stop the download process. The worst you will do by doing this interruption is mess up the download of that particular update. In which case, you can come back and reload the update at a different time and it should be fine.
vonny

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 02:55 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks for that, Ragman. I'm still very new to computers and have a lot to learn. I'll make a note of what you said - good to know I don't have to sit up for hours nursemaiding it!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 04:31 am
@vonny,
http://static.tapastic.com/cartoons/1b/50/44/ea/3ca1e4ea01c74ab79583a6b8f80e1b98.jpg
http://tapastic.com/episode/13563
vonny

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 02:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://www.the-site.name/images/compjoke1.gif
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 02:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://www.the-site.name/images/compjoke2.gif
0 Replies