is the diet 'Fasting' healthy?

savyrae

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 09:47 pm
I have read about fasting every where, but I just want to know how long until fasting (a period of time which no or very little foods are consumed) is unhealthy. Please help me.

Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 09:54 pm
@savyrae,
I'd go slow on fasting.

Seriously, unless a person is following a colon cleanse program, fasting does not help you dieting or losing weight. If you're working with a nurse or doctor, medical person or some dietary expert, longer term fasting should be done with extreme caution. Fasting for a day is not too risky.

Longer than that, you'd need a very good reason to be doing this fast (liver cleanse...vegetable juice fast and/or nutritional supplements), a special dietary protocol and very restricted range of activities.

Be aware that when you fast ..let's say for day ... your metabolism slows down. When it slows down, it significant lowers your chances of losing any weight. In fact, after the fast and return to normal eating, you'll put the weight right back on.
neologist

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 10:05 pm
@Ragman,
Or, fast slowly

Fasting upsets your body chemistry. Otherwise healthy folks have had critical health events from electrolyte imbalance, for example.

Best just to find a painless way to reduce caloric intake. Increase exercise.
neologist

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 10:06 pm
@neologist,
Hah.
All I saw was the first sentence of Ragman's post and thought to be clever.
0 Replies

savyrae

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:10 am
@Ragman,
Thanks! I won't be fasting at all now (: I'm sure I can just find a better diet without starving myself.
0 Replies