Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:42 pm
Tomorrow marks day 1 of my 30 day water fast. I'll post here as often as I can letting you all know how it goes.

Now, I have done this 2 times before, but it's been over 8 years since I successfully completed one. The longest I'd gone in the last 8 years was 6 days w/o food.

Let's see how long I can make it this time.

Ehbeth, let's create some anecdotel evidence.

maporsche

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:44 pm
My last intake of food was at 8:00pm CST on Sunday March 8, 2009.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:14 pm
@maporsche,
Water fast? Sounds tough. Good luck! I'm watching with interest.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:55 pm
If nothing else, the price is right.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:06 pm
and why are you doing this?
NickFun

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:17 pm
I'm sure by now you could go for a nice Hot Fudge Sundae with nut's and jimmies! Mmmmmmm!
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:15 am
@NickFun,
That's cold Nickfun! So cold... like delicious ice cream served with warm apple pie...

Hey Maporsche, You still coming out to DC for that 5k or whatever? Didn't you say that would be in March?

T
K
O
chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 05:59 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Hey Maporsche, You still coming out to DC for that 5k or whatever?

I guess that depends on how much muscle mass he loses over the 30 days.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:36 am
@chai2,
A) just to do it. It's a good exercise to exert your willpower against your body's most basic need.

B) I have several pounds I'd like to lose quickly before racing season starts. This is a proven method of losing weight.

C) Save money. We're in a recession ya know.

D) for fun.
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:39 am
@Diest TKO,
It would have been next week, but I decided to cut the trip out due to economic concerns. I socked that money away into savings in case my company goes under. I'll make it out there someday, hopefully later this year if Obamas plan works.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:42 am
193.6 PBS this morning.

12 hours w/o food.

I'll take some body measurements tonight to help keep track of muscle vs fat loss.

I plan on going to the gym and lifting weights to slow down the muscle loss though.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:51 am
@maporsche,
You do realize your heart is a pretty important muscle, and long term water fasts are apt to induce ventricular arrhythmias.

Unless your insulin levels and cardiac condition are being monitored on a regular basis, you are being very foolish.

That's not simply my opinion, but a fact.

There are more productive ways to exert your willpower, lose some weight and save money.

A) just to do it. It's a good exercise to exert your willpower against your body's most basic need........sez who? You're just making this up as you go along.

Have fun if you heart goes dinky dau on you. Unfortunately VA doesn't always give you a 2nd chance.

Much as I'm sure you'd like to believe it, your heart doesn't really care about your willpower telling it beat in a regular fashion even though you're starving it.

But, do whatever the **** you want, regardless of it's stupidity.
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:02 am
@chai2,
Do you have a link about fasting and VA?
Mame

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:31 am
@maporsche,
Why are we all so lazy? Google it, for heaven's sake!
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:37 am
@Mame,
I am googling it...I can't find anything other than opinon, and most of that opinion is a copy/paste from some other source because there are 20+ webpages w/ the exact same paragraph.

I'm not lazy.
chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:09 am
@maporsche,
I'm sure you can do your own research and find the information. There's plenty of it out there, and I'm not your research assistant. That's not a cop out, I'm just not into posting links that you're going to pick apart and argue about ad nauseum

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the effects of no nutrition for a long period will royally screw up your electrolytes, insulin, cause muscle loss, which includes your heart, effect your brain and ability to think clearly and rationally (I'm not talking about the feeling of clarity people say they feel during a short term fast)
There's some evidence short term fasting is beneficial, but that's not what you're going for.

You might want to remember when you attempt not to take any nutrition into your body for a month, that your body is now 8 years older than when you tried this last time. Regardless of what kind of shape you're in, your body is older, it will be more likely to have problems, and whether you succed or fail the recovery will be more difficult, and you're not going to be doing yourself any good.

The only way to attempt such a foolhardy exercise would be under close medical supervision. That is if your doctor/nurse practioner, etc. doesn't convince you that you're playing a dangerous game with your life.

I have no more to say on this.

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:11 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I am googling it...I can't find anything other than opinon, and most of that opinion is a copy/paste from some other source because there are 20+ webpages w/ the exact same paragraph.

I'm not lazy.

sounds like someone needs to take a class in google 101, or go to the library, or call their doctor.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:21 am
@chai2,
If Jesus can do it, so can I.

I'm not worried chai. But to be prudent I'll schedule a doctors appointment for 2 weeks in.

There is a surprising LACK of evidence against this out there. It's not a matter of Google 101, there just isn't any conclusive evidence that this is unhealthy as an occasional exercise. Obviously not something you'd do every other month.

When does a short term fast become a long term fast? Is 2 weeks ok, but 3 weeks bad?

How about I take it 1 day at a time and gauge how I feel?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:49 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I'm sure you can do your own research and find the information. There's plenty of it out there, and I'm not your research assistant. That's not a cop out, I'm just not into posting links that you're going to pick apart and argue about ad nauseum

And this kind of is a cop out.

I know that there are plenty of people out there who say that this is dangerous....I just don't see any with an M.D. after their name.

If you have a link or a name in mind, tell me so I can check it out. If you don't want to argue about it, then don't. Just provide the information and leave.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:56 am
@maporsche,
In college I did a water fast for 3 days. It was with one of my residents.

I'm indifferent about the experience.

T
K
O

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Water Fast
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:48:01