Installing a bath fan

johnbro

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:06 pm
We just installed a bath fan. We've got romex running from the power source, a junction box where three other wires join, down to a switch. From here we've got a second wire running to the fan fixture. When we power up the main breaker, the fan comes on an seems to have no issues running for a long period of time. When we turn the fan off, a fuse, in another part of the house blows and the whole up-stairs is without power.

Any ideas why the fan would power up fine, but blow a fuse when we switch the fan off?

Thanks for any thoughts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 612 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:14 pm
@johnbro,
From what you indicated this circuit is clearly miswired. If I were you, I'd call an electrician as you're in over your head. Perhaps safety is at stake here?

Also you have fuses...not circuit breakers? How is it that over the last 45 yrs in US (as an example), circuit breakers have been replaced due to codes the require builders to use circuit breakers but you're using fuses?
Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:32 pm
@Ragman,
bad ground somewhere. or a short to ground?
0 Replies

Placid Carcass

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:54 am
@Ragman,
lol I wont get into that fuse/breaker issue, but I will say that fuses are entirely more reliable and safe compared to breakers. Anyways the problem seems to be faulty wiring. Probably you have to separate power sources connected to the switch that only come into contact with each other when the switch is in the off position. I would look into that, or call an electrician. Shouldn't take him more than an hour.
0 Replies