Does "the herd" mean "the general public under the leadership of an authoritarian government"?

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 08:38 am

Context:

On the other hand, what I value in our political system is the more extensive provision that it makes for the individual in case of illness or need. The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me not the State but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such remains dull in thought and dull in feeling.
This topic brings me to that worst outcrop of the herd nature, the military system, which I abhor. That a man can take pleasure in marching in formation to the strains of a band is enough to make me despise him. He has only been given his big brain by mistake; a backbone was all he needed. This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed.

More:
http://www.einsteinandreligion.com/worldsee2.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 467 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 01:27 pm
@oristarA,
I'd say so Ori, yes
oristarA

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 08:26 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

I'd say so Ori, yes

Thanks.
But the question remains: US government is not authoritarian but too many people in the US are dull in thought and dull in feeling.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 08:31 pm
In addition, does "that worst outcrop of the herd nature" mean "that worst remarkable feature of the nature of mob mentality"?
McTag

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 04:05 am
@oristarA,
Yes, more or less. You could simplify it, and the following phrases define what he means very well.

Did you see TV news reports of the recent military parades in North Korea?
oristarA

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 08:04 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Yes, more or less. You could simplify it, and the following phrases define what he means very well.

Did you see TV news reports of the recent military parades in North Korea?

Thank you McTag.
But there is no need to mention the perennial pestilent NK government.
The question is: Even the honorable West Point also has military parades to hold. Cadets there take pleasure in marching as well.
McTag

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 10:09 am
@oristarA,

So-called "square-bashing" (practice marching) is not popular in the army. So I'm not sure there is much pleasure for anyone in it.
Certainly, there's punishment in store for those who don't do it.
0 Replies