Looking for good British recipes

Christy

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:17 am
I'm interested in finding recipes for good, authentic English food. I've mastered shepherd's pie and made my first treacle tart yesterday, but I'd love to find more recipes. Also, I've heard that measurements in English recipes don't translate to quite the same amounts in the U.S. - an English teaspoon, for example, isn't quite the same as an American teaspoon. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,145 • Replies: 31
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:24 am
The differences in measure between the English and the American are rather negligible if you are cooking in small amounts. This link might be helpful for you to find more recipes:

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/europe/british/
0 Replies

Christy

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:55 am
Re: Looking for good British recipes
Christy wrote:
I'm interested in finding recipes for good, authentic English food. I've mastered shepherd's pie and made my first treacle tart yesterday, but I'd love to find more recipes. Also, I've heard that measurements in English recipes don't translate to quite the same amounts in the U.S. - an English teaspoon, for example, isn't quite the same as an American teaspoon. Does anyone know if this is true?[/"A positive statement! Ringing affirmative! I'm a writer!" George Peppard in [i]Breakfast at Tiffany's[/i]]
0 Replies

Christy

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:55 am
Re: Looking for good British recipes
I'm interested in finding recipes for good, authentic English food. I've mastered shepherd's pie and made my first treacle tart yesterday, but I'd love to find more recipes. Also, I've heard that measurements in English recipes don't translate to quite the same amounts in the U.S. - an English teaspoon, for example, isn't quite the same as an American teaspoon. Does anyone know if this is true?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:01 am
What's up with the multiple posts Christy?
0 Replies

Christy

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:12 am
I didn't mean to do that. I was just messing around with the 'quote' button. Now I can't figure out what in the world I did.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:14 am
Heh heh...so, are you only interested in traditional English fare, or would some more 'gourmet' recipes be helpful as well?
0 Replies

Christy

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:16 am
Sure - anything would be great.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:21 am
Give me some time (working today) and I'll see what I can dig up. I'm a chef, so I'll search ine earnest for the best stuff. I know there are other Brits here who could also offer up some recipes. This topic should really be in Food and Drink.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:45 pm
O.K. Christy,

This is a Yorkshire dish that goes way, way back to when we used to fight with sticks and other various innanimate objects, I think it was about 1957, but be warned it is humongously fattening.

Ingredients.

Potatoes, sliced about 1/8 inch thick. It doesen't matter which potatoes they are, you know, the ones you make mash, or roasted, or boiled, or chips with.

Cabbage. I use Savoy but any cabbage will do, chop and blanch for 5 minutes and drain.

Cheese, preferably a good strong cheddar, grated.

Bacon, ordinary bacon, (not smoked) cut into about ½" strips

Method.

Lighly grease a pyrex dish, layer the bottom of dish with potato slices
then bacon strips (same thickness as potato)
then chopped cabbage (inch thick, press well down)
then grated cheese (same thickness as potato)

REPEAT PROCESS (finish with cheese on top to get a bit brown and crusty)

cook in oven till you can feel that top layer of potato is cooked, if neccessary transfer dish to under a grill to brown off cheese on top.

When cooked leave to stand for ten minutes on worktop, run a knife around the inside of dish to loosen contents and tip out onto a serving dish, dont worry if it doesn't come out in a "pie shape" it wont taste any different.

Calories per portion- trust me you dont want to know.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:05 pm
Well, at boarding school we were served "toad in
the hole".....I don't think you would want the
recipe!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:49 am
shepaints wrote:
Well, at boarding school we were served "toad in
the hole

With onion gravy?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:27 am
If you go on the BBC website, they have a Food & Drink section which will give you recipes and other information besides.

www.bbc.co.uk

Just checked it: looks good! It's found on

BBCwebsite....Lifestyle....Food
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:23 am
No Walter, but gravy would have been a most
welcome addition! The dish was bland, stodgy, horrible!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:06 am
shepaints wrote:
welcome addition!

Try some English gravy Shocked
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 09:32 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
shepaints wrote:
welcome addition!

Walter's had some bad experiences with English gravy, one notably in Derbyshire which I witnessed; indeed was partly responsible for. I never should have ordered the Yorkshire puddings.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 01:36 pm
McTag wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
shepaints wrote:
welcome addition!

Walter's had some bad experiences with English gravy, one notably in Derbyshire which I witnessed; indeed was partly responsible for. I never should have ordered the Yorkshire puddings.

The Yorckshire puddings were excellent!

And perhaps the gravy, too.
But unfortunately, they served the puddings with last days dishwater ... and tried to teach them swimming in it :wink:
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 02:31 pm
For true happiness make marmelade.....only with Seville oranges....but don't on any account try to
eat a Seville orange raw!
0 Replies

Ed Toner

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:11 pm
Though not actually British, it is a favorite in NI.

Colcannon
(Serves 4)

2 medium potatoes, scrubbed
1 cup kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
2/3 cup low-fat soymilk
3 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
salt and pepper to taste

Cut potatoes into large chunks. Add to a medium saucepan with enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat cook until tender when pierced with a fork—about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, add about one inch of water to a medium saucepan. Insert steamer basket, bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Add kale, cover, and steam for about 4 minutes. Remove kale and place in a mixing bowl. Once potatoes are cooked, peel and add to kale. In a small skillet, heat the soymilk and scallions, and simmer 5 minutes. Add to potatoes and kale and mash together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

PS Cabbage is also used.

Boxty (Potato Cakes)
Serves 6

1/2 lb Raw potato
1/2 lb Mashed potato
1/2 lb Plain flour
Milk
1 Egg
Salt and pepper

Grate the raw potatoes and mix them with the
cooked mashed potatoes. Add salt, pepper and flour.
Beat the egg and add to mixture with just enough milk to make a batter that will drop from a spoon. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle or frying pan. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with a tart apple sauce, or as part of an Breakfast Fry, with fried bacon, fried sausage, fried eggs, fried black pudding, fried bread, fried soda bread, etc.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 05:36 am
Checking in.

I'm sure I can come up with a decent Toad in the Hole receipe...I'll think about what else is traditionally English/British.

KP
0 Replies