too little, or too much intelligence?

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:08 pm
I've been thinking that we humans, as a whole, have just enough intelligence to destroy ourselves... in other words, just enough rope to hang ourselves.

Just seems like the problems in the world keep cycling, instead of improving.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,089 • Replies: 24
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:40 pm
Oh I disagree intensely. We can destroy ourselves with far greater efficiency and volume than ever before in history. Im confident that well be able, in the future , to destroy ourselves in even greater intensity than we can presently imagine.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:43 pm
I should destroy you all for your impudence. But seriously...yes, I believe that the world does tend to repeat it's history, albeit in different clothes. However, we haven't destroyed ourselves yet, so that gives me hope.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:01 pm
What's the obcession with humanity being self-destructive. Are you naturally inclined to search for ways to kill yourself? No? Then the rest of us probably aren't either.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:27 pm
You know it's a new milleneum when...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:36 pm
Its just a measure of our civilizations accomplishments, something to take pride in. Could we, as dominant species, in the 1300s kill millions in one swoop? No, of course not. Think about these advances in 700 years
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:42 pm
I say just invent the transporter already. It would make my shopping so much easier.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:59 pm
farmerman wrote:
Its just a measure of our civilizations accomplishments, something to take pride in. Could we, as dominant species, in the 1300s kill millions in one swoop? No, of course not. Think about these advances in 700 years

Pretty much proportional with population growth since then isn't it? Gotta find some way to keep the species in check. Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:08 pm
Thank god for plagues, illness and natural disasters. That will keep the world and it's population in check for a very long time.
0 Replies

jonny

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 02:11 am
Don't forget war cavfancier- it helps too.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 02:49 am
Wasn't it death, war, famine, and pestilience?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 04:32 am
L.R.R.Hood- As evolved as humans are, I believe that the veneer of civilization is very thin. Scratch the surface, and many of us behave no differently than our primitive ancestors. At this late date humans are still killing and maiming over mates, territory, and beliefs. How different is this behavior from that of early man?

The attack at Falujah is a glaring example of the behavior of savages, although there are plenty of horrible examples in sophisticated, metropolitan areas. (Check out any bar fight on any Saturday night.)

IMO, I think that the problem is that technology, and the ability to kill more efficiently, is progressing at warp speed. On the other hand, Mother Nature, and the evolution of the species, is moving along at the same snail's pace as it always has.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:01 am
rufio wrote:
What's the obcession with humanity being self-destructive. Are you naturally inclined to search for ways to kill yourself? No? Then the rest of us probably aren't either.....

I was talking about the human race as a whole Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:50 am
rufio wrote:
Wasn't it death, war, famine, and pestilience?

I can barely ride one horse, let alone four. I wish they would stop calling me about the job already.

Jonny, you must be interning for joefromchicago. You both have the irksome habit of putting everyone's screen names in bold. I assure you, I'm not that important. Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:21 am
As Dr Zayus said to Taylor as Taylor rode off to find his destiny.
"There are some things in the forbidden zone that you should not know"

My question is
"Where did Dr zayus get a PHD?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:40 am
I think it was an A-PEHD farmerman.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:16 am
Well, I think we most assuredly have enough *stupidity* to kill ourselves, but pray we have enough intelligence to avoid it.

Your question also brought to mind Tom Stoppard:

"Eternity's a terrible thought. I mean, where's it all going to end?"

Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:18 am
Joeblow, another Tarana native. Welcome to the clan!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:46 am
Thanks cavfancier...hope we don't all blow ourselves up too soon...I just got here!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:51 am
Joeblow- I never thought that the world would emerge in one piece in the 1960s. I was certain that we would all be blown up to smithereens. We survived, and most of us will survive these times..................I hope! Sad
0 Replies