service upgrade from 200amp panel to 250 or 300 amp panel

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:24 pm
i have 4 ott copper cable running from street fed meter disconnect to panel can i increase the amperage higher without changing the cable i have a couple doubled up breakers and im selling the house. the inspection is due and this is the only thing holding me up... chris
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,896 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 07:13 pm
@chris sabin,
Could use a bit more information. Not sure about your utility company metering, I think by your statement that you have a meter located at the street. If you have a 200 amp service from the utility now, they have a 200 amp meter base. If you want to increase your service size you will have to work with the utility to have the metering upgraded. Above 200 amps in my area requires
a 320 amp meter socket and the utility uses a K-base meter, for residential up to 400 amps. Any larger and we get into CT compartments and remote metering. I don't know if I read your question correctly. I am not familiar with your "double up breakers" unless you mean you have a panel with two main breakers. I guess the bottom line is, check with your utility company to see if they can provide you with the larger service metering.
0 Replies

Related Topics

Main Breaker Tripped 2x - Question by decadent
240 Why - Question by lenchase
electrical showers - Question by grains93
6000W cooktop circuit - Question by 1hairycanary
Tempory power supply - Question by 51 nelson
How does a transformer work? - Question by SuzaneK
  1. Forums
  2. » service upgrade from 200amp panel to 250 or 300 amp panel
Copyright © 2023 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/09/2023 at 03:07:31