Is this sentence correct?

Mactosh

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:17 am
(1) I think, this is correct: "My name is Daniel, I'm from Switzerland and currently work for a swiss private bank."

(2) My brother thinks, it should say: "My name is Daniel, I'm from Switzerland and currently working for a swiss private bank."

(3) As an alternative he mentioned: "My name is Daniel, I'm from Switzerland and currently I work for a swiss private bank."

I had option (3) in mind when I wrote the text but decided to go for the first one in order to reduce the number of "I"s in the sentence.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 556 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:20 am
All three sentences are fine. Your first sentence is OK. Your point about omitting the second 'I' in the third sentence is a good one. You should note that adjectives of nationality (e.g. Swiss) begin with a capital letter in English. Also there should be no comma here: "I think, this is correct: "

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:41 pm
@Mactosh,
I don't like (2). Particularly the use of "working". It would look better if you added another "am": "...and currently am working for..."
contrex

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 03:44 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I don't like (2). Particularly the use of "working". It would look better if you added another "am": "...and currently am working for..."

I don;t agree. You can use one am, or is, or are, and subsequent ones can be implied.

My name is Daniel, I'm from Switzerland, Protestant, single, male, vegetarian, an opera lover, and currently working for a Swiss private bank.
McTag

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 03:47 pm
@contrex,
That's the beauty of this: you don't have to agree.

I recognised the grammatic sense of what you have just said, before I posted. The grammar is ok. But I think it looks wrong to me because in the phrase "I'm from Switzerland" the "I am" is rather taken up with location: Switzerland.
That's why, in the sentence supplied, it seems better (to me) with a second "am".
0 Replies