Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 10:25 pm
I am not receiving any power to two outlets located in two separate bathrooms. In addition, I am not receiving any power to an outside outlet. They are not GFI outlets but I suspect that because of their location they must be wired into a GFI somewhere. The two bathrooms are on the second floor but located on the same side of the house where the outside outlet is located. Any suggestions on where I might begin my search to locate where the surce of power was interupted?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,404 • Replies: 14
No top replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:30 pm
@mickeyrory,
Have you checked in the garage for a GFI outlet?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 08:18 am
@mickeyrory,
I agree it is likely a GFI outlet. The best place to look is the kitchen, followed by the bathrooms, then the garage. Anywhere you have an outlet close to a sink is a likely spot. (The garage has one because of outside outlets that could be exposed to rain.)
mickeyrory

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 09:04 pm
@engineer,
o.k., thanks. I will begin checking my GFI's beginning with the closest to the problem. I did find an open ground on one of them while trying to match my breakers with what they are feeding. Do you think that would cause such a problem. All wires are attached correctly to that gfi so could an open ground be on anything that is connected to that particular gfi? Also, would that cause an interruption in power?
engineer

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 09:06 pm
@mickeyrory,
If you have a short to ground on a GFI circuit, the GFI will trip and shut the entire circuit down. When you reset the GFI, it will trip again until you fix the ground.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 11:16 am
@mickeyrory,
I hope not being interminable Mick but some "modern" CB's look like they're on when they're really off
mickeyrory

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 09:18 pm
@dalehileman,
I have since found a breaker that is defective but won't know if it services those particular outlets until I replace it. So I have a breaker and a GFI to deal with. Hopefully it will take care of the problem.
engineer

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 06:35 am
@mickeyrory,
The GFI may be fine once you fix the breaker. You can find breaker repair videos on Youtube.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 10:37 am
@engineer,
Or as I stated above, the breaker might really be okay. Flip it off hard and quick as you can, then back on
mickeyrory

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 08:47 am
@dalehileman,
flipped it off and it will not return to the ON position; that's how I realized it was faulty. Sorry for not saying thanks for the info, I've been on vacation for the last week. Just getting back to the electrical problem.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 10:14 am
@mickeyrory,
Quote:
flipped it off and it will not return to the ON position
It seems the modern breaker is a paradoxical conundrum tumbling downhill. Often such a breaker can't be turned back on Mick while its insides are still hot. So before you toss it be sure after it's cooled down that it still won't turn on
engineer

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 11:43 am
@dalehileman,
Your standard 20 amp house breaker costs around $4. I'd replace it without worrying if I can be saved. I'd be more hassle to use it again and then find out it was bad.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 01:51 pm
@engineer,
Alas alack Eng, I just can't seem to do anything right
mickeyrory

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 03:09 pm
@dalehileman,
In checking my GFI's I found two loose neutral wires on one; attached they securely and my three switches that were working are back in service. Thanks for the help.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 04:53 pm
@mickeyrory,
Not at all Mick, such that it was
0 Replies