Star Wars in Philosophy.

monicat

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:33 pm
@Logicus,
There is a scene in Star Wars where Yoda tells Luke, We are not this crude matter, we are Luminous Beings.
I agree.
I have been to Heaven and I know its real.
I didnt have a near death experience either.
I was dead.
Or I should say my body was dead. What I had I call a Death Of Body experience.
DOB.
Also known as Date Of Birth.
They now mean one and the same to me.
I know witjout a doubt that is not all there is.
We ARE Luminous Beings!
0 Replies

zeromein

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 12:30 pm
@neologist,
So, the parallel is that: Might makes right?
0 Replies

zeromein

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 12:39 pm
@Logicus,
It is my view that the gist of the Star Wars movies is that both internally to the individual and among the group, there is a tension between good and bad, between darkness and light. We all have the capability to do evil to each other, to be inhumane to one another, if we allow ourselves to be ruled by our instincts.

The virtuous one is self aware and recognizes the emergent feelings of anger/hatred and exercises self control, so as to continue to let the light shine and over power the darkness. It is through this self awareness, discipline, and control that the individual can achieve virtue.

The force is a metaphor for this tension, between good and evil (in my mind, I think of a yin-yang symbol as I type this). Ultimately, those who succumb to their own emotions and do not use reason and judgment to control their instincts will fall to the dark side. Those who are self aware, and exercise reason and judgment to control their actions (mitigating 'id' or instinct) will prevail; the path to freedom is virtue.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 06:48 pm
SW is full of philosophy. The prequels maybe more than anything else. TFA also has lots to say (Kylo Ren alone is true substance).

The prequels can be interpreted as the meaning of repression; the elegant backdrop and graceful appearance of everything is an allegory of societal repression, forcing people to not express themselves.

TFA is very much about spirituality, and emotional release.

0 Replies

sve

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 02:03 am
@Logicus,
Personally I velieve that Yoda represents a quite life philosphy. I may be wrong, but I've read that this character was created based on Jesus and Buddha and enlightened people. I find it fascinating although I suppose Star Wars don't represent the most sophisticated form of philosophy.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 2 May, 2019 01:22 pm
@Logicus,
...defeat is a lie...victory is an illusion...death is certain...

speaking on star wars...

0 Replies

xrickandmorty

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2020 09:41 am
@Logicus,
Equality is by definition a lie because anybody that is not the same is not by definition equal; what are the odds of everybody being equal. As for the second part, breaking the chains could mean having enough power to not need to care about subjective social status and laws instituted by a culturally brainwashed society. For the third part, I can logically prove evil does not mean what you think it means; Evil is another word for something that x people don't like. SO subjectively, it is "real stuff"
0 Replies

xrickandmorty

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2020 09:58 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Isn't that statement based off cultural conditioning you talked about earlier when you haven't proved your opinions just stating something you "believe" is objective. Also, sources of correct or incorrect philosophy don't matter, just the philosophy itself.

This applies to the "real word", there are those who have power and those who don't. Those who have power condition those who don't to adopt x religious or moral values, though logically I argue all morals are just types of ethics. Those who have enough power to not care, don't have to care about societies laws based off something that I can prove to be subjective "morals" and or what the powerful decide.

the history of humanity is just a series of darwinistic events which I can prove if you want.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 10:29 am
@xrickandmorty,
People do like to prove themselves right almost all the time...I am now getting a little bit older and trying very hard every day to prove myself wrong as much as I can.
xrickandmorty

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2020 10:04 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I try to determine what is logical, not using any predetermined opinions
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2020 12:54 pm
@xrickandmorty,
I play Devil's advocate with myself as far as I can remember. I find it useful even in no go tabu scenarios. For a bonus, I get to understand how other people's brain "reasoning" works.
0 Replies