Star Wars in Philosophy.

Olivier5

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 02:59 pm
@Logicus,
Don't be too impatient. I eat young apprentices for breakfast.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 03:00 pm
@Cipherius,
I bet you they lose in the end.
Logicus

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 03:53 pm
@Olivier5,
That is the way of the Sith. One master to embody the power and one to crave it. An endless cycle.
Cipherius

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 04:02 pm
@Olivier5,
That was the point of all of those Star Wars books, and their movies, mo one ever, "truly" won. It's an endless cycle of light and dark, then light again, and dark. You get my point.
Logicus

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 04:07 pm
@Cipherius,
That was a very accurate statement of Star Wars.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 05:20 am
@Logicus,
Rule no 1 of serial novels: the vilain never dies, or the series would stop and the editor be very angry.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 05:23 am
@Logicus,
Quote:
That is the way of the Sith. One master to embody the power and one to crave it. An endless cycle.

Tsk tsk tsk... There's no solidarity between the bad guys, they keep trying to cheat one another. Sad really.
Logicus

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 10:22 am
@Olivier5,
It is. But it makes an interesting story. Perhaps you should read it not necessarily for educational purposes, but for entertainment. It is a rather good book, if you can past the genocide thing.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 01:05 pm
@Logicus,
I will take your advice under consideration.
Logicus

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 01:22 pm
@Olivier5,
I do hope so.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:37 am
@Logicus,
Logicus wrote:
Darth Zannah: “Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It’s about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual.”

Sounds more like Ayn Rand to me than Nietzsche.
Logicus

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:01 am
@joefromchicago,
I have never heard of Ayn Rand before. Maybe I should find out who this person is.
Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:02 am
Oh yeah . . . you could study Ayn Rand's "philosophy," the underlying tenet of which is to think for yourself.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:09 am
@Logicus,
Stay in school. Ayn Rand is an icon for some. (I'm not one of them.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:20 am
@Logicus,
Logicus wrote:
It is. But it makes an interesting story. Perhaps you should read it not necessarily for educational purposes, but for entertainment. It is a rather good book, if you can past the genocide thing.
Yeah! That genocide thing. How distasteful.
Logicus

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 01:06 pm
@neologist,
Yes, very.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:33 am
@Logicus,
Enough genocides on this planet already, without looking for them on other planets, IMO.
oralloy

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
This Sith BS recalls to mind Leopold and Loeb.

Used to be some awesome rock concerts at the remnants of their former mansion, back in the 1980s.
0 Replies

Logicus

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 01:17 pm
@Olivier5,
Well, that's true.
0 Replies

PhilipOSopher

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 07:14 am
@Logicus,
The extract you quoted raises a couple of interesting points for me, Logicus. DB and the Sith Code remind me very strongly of Nietzsche's ideas regarding herd morality and good and evil being unhelpful made-up constructs with the will to power (similar to DZ referring to the 'will' to the dark side being maximising your own power/potential?) - these two Sith lords here I think woud be eager subscribers to Nietzsche's ideas regarding morality.
But I think I've also spotted something interesting here.
DZ asserts that evil is a nonsensical concept, yet seems to exist in a universe governed by cosmic dualism - there is a light and dark side of the force which battle against each other for supremacy, and the universe is this battleground. Yet DZ seems to deny that this evil exists as the dark side as an objective force (or am I reading too much into this???)
Phil (www.philosophersblogofideas.blog.com)
0 Replies