Thinking about the Jetta

RLLD

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:13 pm
I am seriously looking at the new Jetta's. So far my research has produced a positive return.

IMHO the car seems like a very good value, love the styling etc.
Anybody have opinions on the VW Jetta?? Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,694 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:57 pm
Yep: go with the TDI & a 5-speed, & enjoy your 45-50MPG.

Otherwise, not much to say.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:47 pm
Might be the best car for the money ($20-25K, right?) out there.

I posted on another thread here that it compares very well with the Lexus IS 300, which is ten grand more.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:16 pm
Excellent car for the money. It doesn't quite have the long term reliability the hondas/toyotas have, but they're built much more solid, safer, and alot more fun to drive. Definitely worth it in my book.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 06:48 am
VW TDI
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Excellent car for the money. It doesn't quite have the long term reliability the hondas/toyotas have, but they're built much more solid, safer, and alot more fun to drive. Definitely worth it in my book.

It doesn't have the long term reliability????? Sitting in my driveway is a1996 Passat TDI with 244,000 miles on it and is ready to drive to either coast. Doesn't even burn an appreciable amount of oil. No motor work.
OK, OK, it's a Passat. However, the 1986 Jetta TDI we traded in had 280,000 on it with no motor work.

And, parked in the garage, anxious for warmer weather, is a pristine, almost showroom comdition, 1995 white-on-white, VW Cabrio with 95,000 miles. (gas engine Golf)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:00 am
I saw that movie 'Return of the Jetta'. It wasn't bad, but those Ewoks were really annoying.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:47 am
It's ok billy...don't take it personal. I just pointed out they don't quite have the reputation some of the Japanese "measuring sticks" do, honda/toyota.
Not a deal breaker in my opinion, I'm a fan of German cars.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 03:58 am
On re-reading my post: I did take your remarks about longevity of cars personally didn't I? Thanks for pointing it out. I'll try to avoid that in the future.
0 Replies

imapom

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:14 pm
Took me a while to realise what you're talking about here - VW call it the Bora in Europe. Had a TDI 115 for a couple of years - 60k, 48mpg, 130mph (Germany...), reliable, good overtaking on B-roads thanks to the torque, and enough space for my needs.

I'd go for a TDI with the 150bhp engine.
0 Replies