rtpleyo

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:21 pm
I have a weird problem. I have an outside outlet that is on a GFI outlet that keeps on being tripped by my tragger BBQ but if I run the Tragger on extension cord on a non-GFI outlet it runs fine. Is it that I need more AMPS to the GFI outlet. It doesn't trip circuit breaker only the GFI
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 803 • Replies: 3
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:24 pm
@rtpleyo,
GFIs are very sensitive. They also wear out. It's hard to tell why that happens to you, however, since we cannot examine first hand the barbecue or the GFI.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 07:09 pm
@rtpleyo,
Or you could have a short in your BBQ but not a bad enough short to trip the breaker. If possible, try to run the BBQ using an extension on a different GFI circuit. You probably have them in the kitchen and bathrooms as well as the outside plugs. You could also try to run a similar sized load in on the GFI in question to see if any large load trips it.
0 Replies

Placid Carcass

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 05:00 pm
Is the BBQ using the the plug for heating element or to spark the fuel?
Either way there would be a difference in the current between the hot and neutral which would potentially cause the GFCI to trip. You don't usually put heating loads or motors on gfci's for this reason.
0 Replies