Montreal/Quebec City: 24 hrs. to decide!

Eva

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:29 pm
Hubby and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary, and we just got vacation time approved for Aug. 1-6. We've decided to take a 6-day trip to either Montreal or Quebec City or both. I visited QC as a teenager, Hubby has never been to either. We need to make reservations tomorrow, so I need some quick input.

Which city (or both) would you choose, and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 7,922 • Replies: 67

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:32 pm
@Eva,
No opinion based on fact from me, just glad for you.

However, I've always wanted to go to Montreal, including now, apparently, for the bagels.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:35 pm
@Eva,
Montreal ... because it's closer (to me).

Also, I know nothing about QC either and I know a few people who have been to Montreal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:42 pm
@Eva,
Eva, I'm sure George has an opinion or two on this, he knows Montreal pretty well as one of his children went to university there. (I think, never trust me re the details).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:58 pm
@Eva,
I used to live in Boston and visited Montreal many times. I loved Montreal ...pretty city... but it can be an expensive city for entertainment. If you speak English only I would advise Montreal over Quebec city. Very fashionably dressed people...Called the Paris of North America.

Quebec is very enjoyable, too but VERY strong French-speaking public. A few decades ago they had some major political issue about signs being in French. You should get advice that is more current from people that have been there this century. LOL
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:00 pm
The city of Québec has preserved a good deal of the old city (the "upper town" as the English called it), so it might be pleasant in a touristy sort of way. Montréal, of course, has smoked meat--which makes it even more difficult to choose.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:02 pm
@Eva,
Oh, and I'm strong re just one city for that time.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:03 pm
@Setanta,
Old city.......culture.........mmmmm....smoked meat.

Just lurking, after I've raided the fridge.
Ragman

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:05 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Pulling out a frosty chilled mug and pouring a nice Belgian beer (Leffe, Blonde an Abbey Ale)
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:07 pm
@Ragman,
I lurve Leffe. One of my favourites on a hot day.

I've chosen Quebec, purely for Jimmy Wolfe.
Ragman

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:09 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I thought I was the only one who knew of this ale. Seeing that where I live is west coast of FL, I might be right about here. Lordy, you got some decent tasty buds! How do I know this ? 'Cuz I do! LOL
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:12 pm
@Ragman,
You and I ought to hit Bruges one day. An endless supply of Moules Frites whilst sitting in the sun, and easily a hundred different beers to chose, all with their own different, tailor made glass.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:17 pm
@Eva,
Last time I was up that way (2007 or 2008, don't remember which now), I did both but spent more time in Montreal, as I usually do. Quebec, la cite, is well worth visiting but it's largely a tourist-y attraction whereas Montreal is a real, vibrant livable city. I had a rental car, so zipping back and forth wasn't that major a problem.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:49 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Coincidentally, in downtown Sarasota FL across from the large cinema was a great Belgian restaurant that went belly up last year that had the name Bruges. I had exactly what you mentioned there before a movie last year with someone whose name I forgot.

I know you meant the real Bruges.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:02 pm
Thanks for all the replies! Touristy is OK, we're looking for a more laid back, take-it-easy sort of destination. Not real big on nightlife, we've done our share of that in years past. Pleasant diversions during the day, good food, culture...that's more our style.
Ragman

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:03 pm
@Eva,
do you speak French?
Eva

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:09 pm
@Ragman,
No. But I can fake a decent accent! Smile

Do you really think it will be a problem? I had very little difficulty in Paris ten years ago.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:20 pm
@Eva,
In Montreal it shouldn't be a problem at all. In Quebec, the only place you might face a problem is asking for directions from a person on the street (but not always). Those who deal with tourists on a regular basis all speak at least some English. I did have a problem asking directions in a roadside service station just outside Quebec City. The young woman at the counter knew maybe two or three words of English. But between my abysmal high school French and her understanding of ;left' and 'right' and 'motel', we got along okay.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:25 pm
@Eva,
Quebec City.

Not even a choice (IMNSHO).
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:28 pm
@ehBeth,
oh

why?

because it it too romantic for words