Hypothetical question:

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:24 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I think all businesses should get their labor at the cheapest possible price.

You can't mean under all circumstances?

Igm...if you have something to say...you ought really to just say it.

If you are looking for someone to beg you to say it...you probably addressed the lure to the wrong person.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:28 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
Do you have any social responsibility to consider here?

Yes, because your choice will have social ramifications. Whatever you chose, or whatever becomes the major trend because it is the most popular choice, is what there will be more of.
But I don't think people consider that. I think we generally go with the cheapest option that satisfies our criteria to the point that one might say that in our modern society where almost everything is a question of money, social structure has become an epiphenomenon of economics.

Well...since I said that the recommendations indicate equality of service and proficiency...should the hypothetical homeowner choose the least expensive...or should he/she say, "We need people earning decent wages and therefore I will choose the most expensive?"

Move that into the private employment sphere: Should a company obtain equal quality workers at the lowest possible expenditure...or should they pay heed to the fact that we need more decent paying jobs and pay their workers higher wages than other firms, even if that makes their (assumed equal) products more expensive?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:30 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Don't be so bloody coy Frank you're doing exactly the same thing otherwise the title of this thread would be, Is it ethical to employ illegal immigrants when you're not exactly rich yourself?

igm

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 12:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

It's all too vague Frank... I'm not going to attempt to 'imagine' what you're getting at... for this type of exercise I deal with the facts as they are presented... and as I say... it's all too vague... and going on what you've said and not what you might mean... I would go with the cheapest... but I wouldn't under all circumstances.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 12:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I guess that's a matter of preference. If you support small local businesses, you might be willing to pay a little more. Many do that, but as I said, most probably just go with whatever is cheapest, and we generally do not perceive this to be a moral issue.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I think they should buy thier supplies from wherever they can at the cheapest possible cost...which usually means they buy them from where labor costs are cheapest.

This entire premise seems silly to me. I would gladly take any playing position on the Boston Red Sox... and I would do it for a lot less then the current players make. Yet they have never considered me. Are the Red Sox wrong for not hiring me to play on the team?

And a restaurant that advertises "We use only ingredients we obtain at the lowest possible cost" isn't going to get my business. It is not surprising that I have never seen a restaurant make this claim.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Don't be so bloody coy Frank you're doing exactly the same thing otherwise the title of this thread would be, Is it ethical to employ illegal immigrants when you're not exactly rich yourself?

The word used was "hypothetical", Izzy.

What is coy about that?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:26 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

It's all too vague Frank... I'm not going to attempt to 'imagine' what you're getting at... for this type of exercise I deal with the facts as they are presented... and as I say... it's all too vague... and going on what you've said and not what you might mean... I would go with the cheapest... but I wouldn't under all circumstances.

Fine, thank you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:29 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

I think they should buy thier supplies from wherever they can at the cheapest possible cost...which usually means they buy them from where labor costs are cheapest.

This entire premise seems silly to me. I would gladly take any playing position on the Boston Red Sox... and I would do it for a lot less then the current players make. Yet they have never considered me. Are the Red Sox wrong for not hiring me to play on the team?

But the hypothetical specifies that they are equally qualified.

Quote:

And a restaurant that advertises "We use only ingredients we obtain at the lowest possible cost" isn't going to get my business. It is not surprising that I have never seen a restaurant make this claim.

But the hypothetical specifies that they are equally qualified.

If you knew that you could get a delightful dinner at two different restaurants...with all else being the same...

...but one cost almost half less...

...you wouldn't even consider going?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:31 pm
Some people won't buy at Walmart for just this reason.

No problem.

There is no set answer.

Just a scenario set up to question and think about.

My feelings are that we may already be at a point where decent paying jobs for everyone who needs and wants one are NOT available. Machines...and other labor can be obtained at much, much, much, much less cost.

Could be trouble.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Let's say you're being less than direct. I think this is a peculiarly American problem, not to say that there aren't illegal workers over here. It's something the owner of business would be tempted by, but not someone looking to tarmac their drive.

Over here the ethical problem is, 'Through the books, or cash in hand?'

We have a lot of foreign legal workers, Poles being the most noticeable group, in Southampton at least. They've got a reputation for being cheap and reliable.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:46 pm
As others have said, in this hypothetical situation, go for the lowest bid.

The laborers have families to feed too.

If they do a really great job, tip them well, and directly.
Nothings keeping you from spending a bit more on the tail end, and still saving over the mid bid.
You can tip the laborers, and/or the boss man, up to $700, and still come in under the mid price.

Don't be greedy, but be careful, the essence of social responsibility.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Holy ****!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I'll have a spare room soon, my daughter's flying out to China on Friday.

Little commie!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 12:52 pm
Frank wrote:
Quote:

I don't quite understand this. If you are running a business, the people you employ are part of that business. Should you pay them as little as possible, so that there is more for yourself? Or should you pay them a sum that is proportionate to the work they have done and the money it earns for the business?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Frank wrote:
Quote:

I don't quite understand this. If you are running a business, the people you employ are part of that business. Should you pay them as little as possible, so that there is more for yourself? Or should you pay them a sum that is proportionate to the work they have done and the money it earns for the business?

MY GUESS: Damn near 100% of business owners and managers think that the labor they need ought to be obtained at the lowest cost possible...without regard to what is fair or "in the interests of society."

What is your guess?
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
What is your guess?

My "guess", Frank, is that Cyracuz didn't come anywhere close to what you have suggested and frankly, I find it shocking that a "top of the class" English guru, a renowned editorial writer like yourself, didn't understand that.
0 Replies