Something new on my screen

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 05:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I am much more mellower in my old age. I prefer leave 'em laughing to spewing bile.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 07:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 04:38 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Embarrassed to say it turned out to be a spot of something stuck to the screen. But it was in the shape of a small acorn, vertical and very light amber. Much like a spot of coffee. Embarrassed

This is the type of thing computer techs just can't fix. It reminds me of the Andromeda Strain (movie) where the techs just couldn't fix the teletype machine because it was a sliver of paper blocking the bell clapper (back when machines actually had moving parts).
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 04:58 am
I worked for a company with a teletype machine. They loved communicating with it. Pretty high tech stuff, back then.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:01 am
@edgarblythe,
....and the oak gall was once used in the production of ink, which brings us in a round about way back to acorns.

What a lovely thread. I bet it put a smile on many faces around the world.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:08 am
I remember ink. It's why I own a computer, in a round about way. When my handwriting became illegible, I sought to buy a decent typewriter. Not finding one, I purchased a first computer. Love those word processors.
BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 08:58 am
@edgarblythe,
My brother in law did love typing letters to the editor,congress and so on concerning public issues and declare he did not need a computer.

My wife went ahead anyway and gave him a computer and set up a free dial up email account with Juno.

He at once send so many emails during the first day he have the system up and running that Juno block him for a short period as they fear he was using the account for span.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:06 am
@edgarblythe,
I once had someone tape a very small picture of Rick Astley over the sensor on the bottom of my mouse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:11 am
@rosborne979,
No one repairs anything these days. If something breaks down, you take it back to the store and they give you a new one to replace, or sell you another one if it's out of warranty.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No one repairs anything these days. If something breaks down, you take it back to the store and they give you a new one to replace, or sell you another one if it's out of warranty.

Are you saying Edgar could have saved himself the Windex and got a new monitor to boot? Wink
0 Replies

DoctorGotz

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 08:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
How do you know someone didn't break into your house while you were asleep and put a sophisticated tech speck on your monitor?

I hope you didn't get it on your skin Very Happy
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 08:27 pm
@DoctorGotz,
Not to worry. I used a moistened tissue.
DoctorGotz

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 08:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's a relief.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 08:36 pm
@DoctorGotz,
I didn't know what else to use. My fingernails would have ripped the skin loose.
DoctorGotz

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yucch!
panzade

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
You're a humble, good and gracious man edgar
Rockhead

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:54 pm
@panzade,
I'll second that motion...
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 12:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I prefer leave 'em laughing ...

Made me.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:25 am
Interesting thread. You discover that your perceived glitch was a glitch of a different sort and the discussion takes off and continues amid guffaws and chortles. If the problem had been just what you fist thought it was, this thread wouldn't have lasted for more than a dozen responses tops/
neologist

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:38 am
@Lustig Andrei,
That's because no one has the power to end this thread!
Try it!
I dare you!
Laughing
0 Replies