Need help locating an artist for credit

ezayca

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 05:09 pm
The sunset painting at the bottom of page http://ezay.ca/studies.php was inspired by the work of an artist we are trying to find to give proper credit. Can you help? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,236 • Replies: 12
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 05:49 pm
@ezayca,
It was probably inspired by Frederick Edmund Church from one of his many "Niagara" paintings.
Or else it could be van Gogh from Starry Night or the crows in the grain field.
Maybe even RockwellKent who dod some good versions of Northern skies over the Arctic.
ezayca

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 06:28 pm
@farmerman,
Definitely not Frederick Edmund Church from one of his many "Niagara" paintings, the original that inspired the EZay study had no water and no trees in the dark mountainous background. It cannot be Van Gogh's Starry Night or Crows in a Wheat Field because the original was a sunset. As for Rockwell Kent, his sunsets are not flaming red. Thanks for the suggestions, they are all very beautiful.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 07:17 pm
@ezayca,
When you use "INFLUENCE" , you really mean "COPY". So why not say it? Ive extracted some of the features of each of those artists that your artist has attempted (possibly) to draw from. NOW, unless you are the artist , how do you know who influenced the artists work?
The work looks like that of a semi competent hobbyist so maybe, if you know the artist, why not ask him or her?
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 07:19 pm
@farmerman,
PS, bfore you say what Rockwell Kent DID NOT paint, Id suggest you get a catalogue or two and look at some of his works of the Arctic skies or Monhegan Island sunsets
PPS. Heres a sunset that was in the Niagara Frontier, by Church. You can see the sunset style could stand as influence to your artists painting (without admitting that you copied something) If this is for credit,Id think your instructor would like to see some of your creative skills in going past the picture you used as an influence.
    http://www.artinthepicture.com/artists/Frederic_Church/sunset.jpg
ezayca

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 07:34 pm
@farmerman,
Not strictly a copy, but a study. The original was very similar though. I asked the artist to inspire herself from the original. She painted the study at my request. That was decades ago. I do not remember who painted the original. We are trying to find that original artist to give the credit that is justly due irrespective of the merits of the original work. You must admit the sunset is striking.
0 Replies

ezayca

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 07:45 pm
@farmerman,
I did indeed view a Google image search for Rockwell Kent before replying to the post and found nothing that matched my recollection of the original. The same holds true for Church's Niagara. There was no water and no trees in the original, if memory serves. Of course, the "original" may itself have been inspired by the works you suggest. Our intent is to attribute proper credit and let the chips fall where they may.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 12:54 pm
The question asks whose work INSPIRED that painting.

Subject matter is not important. The style, technique and colors are the important influences.

Looks van Gogh to me.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 01:11 pm
@PUNKEY,
And I was looking around at paintings on some website today (maybe an old SF Chronicle article I saved - yes, that was it - with people's favorite art, and a painting that turned up on there made me think, slightly, of the one you posted, esayca. Some traits, the streaking of the sky, may be used by many in a sky streaking mood. I'll have to go chase the link since it was back in June. I just use it to say that this could be a long chase unless you start to remember something about the situation.

Can you remember if the original was famous or just some magazine photo? An art magazine?

ezayca

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 02:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Very good question. The study may have been inspired by a photo in a French art magazine http://www.magazinart.com/mag/start.php . I called them, they have no digital archives, only back issues of the paper magazine. They are not willing to manually scan going back several decades. And again, memory being what it is, I am not 100% certain it is that particular magazine and no other.

I have posted this call for help on several forum sites. I am getting by far the most intelligent, probing commentary from this site. Keep up the good work.

Thanks.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 03:39 pm
@ezayca,
I did an etching once based on a photo from a French magazine - I suppose I should photo that so I could link it.

I have to take it off the wall to see who I attributed it to..

Anyway, don't most of us play to learn?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 04:31 pm
@ossobuco,
a lot of those California impressionists were more into foreground and far grounds than they were in skies. Most of the Eastern ARtists were into skies and reflections onto the grounds.

I remember in a series of illustration classes our instructor gave us each a famous illustration and we were to dissect the illustration and develop 4 motifs each inspired by something in the illustration he gave us. I remember mine was an Aldro Hibbard Calendar art and , because it was impressionistic in nature, I suffered to drag out the 4 motifs. I did OK though. Aced the assignment and had all my works stolen
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 04:36 pm
@farmerman,
There's a story true.

I don't know what to say, this all is my interest.

0 Replies