xp messed up my modem

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:25 am
Luckily I've got a couple of hard disks to play around with. I installed one of my spares, installed W98 on it, and the XP upgrade. Everything seemed to work except the modem. It would "scream" and say there wasn't a dial tone. Any ideas? I don't want to put it on this disk unless I know that it won't mess anything up. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't set up W98 completely before I put on XP. I just needed the operating system because the program couldn't be loaded from DOS.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 916 • Replies: 18
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 04:22 am
Re: xp messed up my modem
If I remember right from my dialup days, there's an option where you can setup a number for calling out, like 9. Maybe you have a parameter wrong here? It's obviously communicating with the modem. What kind of modem is it? If you give the model and serial number you can often research the problem using google. If it's not incorrect dialing than it kind of sounds like a handshaking problem That being the case there are websites where we could try several different connect strings until one works.

Could be a winmodem issue too. If that's the case I can't help you because I know nothing about winmodems.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 05:26 am
Did you update the driver for the modem?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 05:53 am
The modem was set up correctly and it had the right number. But it kept saying there was no dial tone. I've just set up that disk with W98 again (I"m on it now), and this time I've completely set up the hardware, and the modem, as evidenced by the fact that I"m online making this post. Next I'll try the XP upgrade, and hope it works this time. The main reason I want XP is that I can get a lot of free support for it from where I work, especially upgrades, virus scanners etc, since most of our licences include employee support because people do send emails to and from their home accounts.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:54 am
OK, I completely set up W98, and once it was working smoothly, I set up XP Pro. Now my modem is working but I've got no sound!?!?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:58 am
And outlook express won't start
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:05 am
Ummm.. ok, maybe this is to late but... Why are you installing Win98 first? You don't need to you know.

Even with the WinXP Upgrade versions you can start with a blank hard drive. If you just boot up off of the WinXP CD and start the install it will ask you to insert the eralier version's CD into the drive.

The Windows upgrade versions just need to validate that you actually have an older version - that older version doesn't actually have to be installed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:30 am
When I tried to install it from a blank hard drive, it said it wouldn't work in DOS. But if these problems keep up I might give that a go. I've got another drive set up with 98 working fine, so starting again on this one isn't a problem.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:40 am
Hmmm.. Make your your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM when you start the XP Install. (I installed XP Pro (and Win2000 Pro) this way so I know it works. The only thing I can think of is that your system is trying to boot from the HD and then you are trying to run the XP Install from there. *shrugs*)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:42 am
I was able to install XP from the CD, I used the NTFS file system on a completely blank hard drive, and everything worked except the modem. It still says it can't find a dial tone!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:12 am
Does the modem that appears in the hardware components list match the actual model of the modem you have? (i.e. Did XP detect the correct modem?)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:36 pm
Yep. Correct modem, all the right settings and properties. Got me beat.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:46 pm
Lemme see if I'm following this right ... the modem works under Win98, but fails under XP?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:10 pm
That's correct.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:05 pm
OK ... For a guess, sounds like maybe a driver compatibility issue. Have you checked the modem vendor's website to see if there are updated or even XP-Specific drivers available? That'd be my first guess. It could be that when XP auto-detects the modem, it finds and selects the wrong driver from its built-in selection ... not alltogether an uncommon problem, particularly when upgrading older machines to XP. Might be worth checking out.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:50 am
Not an older machine. I bought it Wednesday. The drives are a few years old, but the motherboard, CPU, RAM and modem are all brand new.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:37 am
OK ... I'd still recommend you check out the modem-vendor-specific-driver-update thing. It may not be the solution, but at the very least it should be ruled out before going any further. XP hardware/software/firmware issues are still common ... even with newer stuff; I recently had to go romping through the registry on a native XP machine to figure out why it it didn't properly recognize and install a brand new external FireWire peripheral ... turned out a simple 1-character edit in an obscure registry key was all that was required.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:40 pm
OK, I'm finally connected in XP. Now the only problem is with Outlook Express. When I switch to my second identity, it goes off and stays off.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 04:33 am
Outlook express is now working.

My problems now are that it won't seem to remember my password correctly for some reason, and my CD writer won't work (as a writer).
0 Replies