Accounting for unequal sample sizes - Crosstabs Chi Square?

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 11:33 am
Hello, I am trying to account for unequal sample sizes in two different time periods in SPSS, but not sure how to go about doing that. I'm trying to crosstab Zip code of residence and enrollment in food stamps, using the same population in both time periods. However, we were not able to get a hold of everyone the second time around, so we got very few data on time period two. How can I account for this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,773 • Replies: 5
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 11:37 am
@freeradicals,
If you are using statistical software, this is pretty straightforward. One independent variable is zip code, one is time period. The dependent variable is enrollment.
freeradicals

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 01:06 pm
@engineer,
Thanks, that's actually what I did, but it appears that the unequal sample sizes aren't being accounted for (unless it's done automatically). To be more specific, I'm leaving all the cells with missing data in the analysis for the second time period. The output graphs shows the opposite of what I would expect. I had 54 cases respond to every question in time period one, but only about half of them responded in time period two (and I'm leaving all the cases in the analysis for time period two, even those that we could not reach...so all of the variables for each of these cases is blank).
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 01:16 pm
@freeradicals,
How I would do it: set up a table that looks like:

Person, Zip Code, Time Period, Food Stamps
------------------------------------------------
1, 70001, old, no
2, 70002, new, yes

You should have around 80 records, 54 old and around 26 new. There should be no blanks. Then build a model with Zip Code and Time Period as the independent variables and Food Stamps as the dependent variable. Ensure that zip is set up as a nominal value instead of a continuous variable.
freeradicals

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 02:03 pm
@engineer,
Thanks! Tried it. Regardless if I eliminate the blanks or not, I get the exact same result. So I guess leaving in the blanks for those that didn't respond in the second time period doesn't matter. But the results are still odd and opposite of what I expect.
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 02:27 pm
@freeradicals,
Sometimes a good experiment will do that to you.
0 Replies