Tips for conserving gas.

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:45 pm
Since the oil companies are all trying to screw us I thought I'd look for tips on using less gas that don't involve riding the bus or walking to work.

The secret is all in your driving habits. For example, did you know you actually save gas by using the cruise control? It's the constant slowing down and excelorating that uses up the gas. Since the cruise control maintains an even speed you aren't waisting gas.

The following link actually shows how much gas is waisted when you drive over 60 mph: I thought it was interesting.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

I've never been one for driving slow, but I'll stay under 60 if it'll save me 15 cents a gallon at the pump. That's the most convincing incentive I've heard to date. Safety, who cares... Money talks!

Also, don't drive with excessive junk in the trunk or in the bed of your pickup. If you don't need it for the trip than take it out.

Time to get an oil change and a lube job! A car that is well maintained consumes less fuel.

Combine your trips. Instead of running to the store a couple times a day, save it all up for one trip at the end of the week.

There's more, but there's a few things you can do to fight the prices at the pump.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,109 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:57 pm
I disagree with the cruise control. Sure, if you live in the San Joaquin Valley, it's better. But where I live (eastern Kansas) there's lots of little hills, and it would be accelerate, coast, accelerate, coast, accelerate, coast. . . Wouldn't work out here.

And no, not all of Kansas is flat. Western kansas, yes. But when you hit about Manhattan or Topeka, it starts to get hilly.

I've also got a fuel economy gage on my dash, and I use that to find out what my best speed is. Usually it's around 74 mph, depending on the winds. . .
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:58 pm
Make sure your tires have enough air in them.

Change spark plugs regularly. Even if they look OK.

BUY A SMALLER CAR!!! If you don't NEED an F150, don't buy one!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:02 am
Turner_727 wrote:
I disagree with the cruise control. Sure, if you live in the San Joaquin Valley, it's better. But where I live (eastern Kansas) there's lots of little hills, and it would be accelerate, coast, accelerate, coast, accelerate, coast. . . Wouldn't work out here.

I see your point. When my truck accelerates on the cruise control it really seems to floor it. But in the flatter lands it can help you save.

Keeping the tires inflated is a big one! I forgot about that one.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:22 am
Manhattan, Kansas, Turner? My family was in Onaga since before the Civil War.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:23 am
Lots of good tips here. Stop and go traffic is a killer on gas mileage so why not try to drive (if it's feasible, of course) when you figure the way will be clearer? If you can do your errands any time during the day, and you know 8 - 10 AM and 4 - 6 PM are high traffic times, why not save gas (and your own sanity) by running your errands between 2 and 3:30?

Oh, and here's one that wasn't yet mentioned: car pool! I know a lot of people don't like the concept, but really it will save a lot of $$ and you'll get to know your coworkers or neighbors a bit. And that's not necessarily an awful thing, yanno.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:55 pm
If I run 60 around here, I'll get run over unless the weather is really bad. At 70-75, I have many cars sailing past me.

I get 18-19 with my truck & 20-22 with my Caprice...I'm happy with that.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:12 pm
I played with the computer in my Z3 quite a bit and found that the biggest gas guzzler is unnecessary acceleration. If you have a powerful automobile, you can save a lot of fuel by accelerating from stoplights at a reasonable measured pace (not too fast, not too slow). In that car, my driving habits could affect the efficiency from 13 mpg to about 22 mpg. Pretty significant when you consider the travel time is barely dented. Ah, but it is so much more fun to beat on it!
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:25 pm
roger wrote:
Manhattan, Kansas, Turner? My family was in Onaga since before the Civil War.

Well, maybe. I don't go out that way much. I live in Lawrence now, and if Lawrence isn't anything, it wouldn't be flat. I think.

We had friends in Wichita move up, and they were surprised at how big some of the hills are. And to us, they're not really big. Just there.

Never heard of Onaga. Where is it?
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:44 am
I may start doing this now that the weather is warming up a bit (hopefully). Ride my bicycle for shorter trips (less than 5 miles).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:55 am
NeoGuin wrote:
I may start doing this now that the weather is warming up a bit (hopefully). Ride my bicycle for shorter trips (less than 5 miles).

Bike, walk, jog, skate, etc. Very Happy

Join car pools?
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:28 am
Miller:

Alas it's not even 50 degrees where I live at the moment and they're forecasting snow--in APRIL!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:31 am
NeoGuin wrote:
Miller:

Alas it's not even 50 degrees where I live at the moment and they're forecasting snow--in APRIL!

50F?

Sounds like great walking weather! Drunk
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:12 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I played with the computer in my Z3 quite a bit and found that the biggest gas guzzler is unnecessary acceleration. If you have a powerful automobile, you can save a lot of fuel by accelerating from stoplights at a reasonable measured pace (not too fast, not too slow). In that car, my driving habits could affect the efficiency from 13 mpg to about 22 mpg. Pretty significant when you consider the travel time is barely dented. Ah, but it is so much more fun to beat on it!

Only 22MPG from that roller skate?! Damn..I get just under that in my 3800lb Caprice with a big V6 & no overdrive, & my wife gets BETTER mileage in her Cherokee with full-time 4WD & no OD.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:45 am
Avoid beans. That conserves a lot of gas.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:54 am
cavfancier wrote:
Avoid beans. That conserves a lot of gas.

No way!

Eat beans and then collect the gas in plastic sacks held over liquid nitrogen. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:55 am
Be sure to keep your bare skin away from the liquid nitrogen, as you could get stuck on the nitrogen and thus, ruin the total experiment.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:56 am
I can only assume that the embarrassed emoticon means you have actually tried this expirement Miller. Laughing
0 Replies