home/road uniforms

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:27 pm
they did it in the NHL in the late 60's -- now they're doing it again!...
they do something even worse in the NFL...
now the NBA & MLB appear to be catching on...

why can't the home team, as a rule, where their light uniforms?

when i tune in a celtic game, say, and their wearing green, my brain automatically processes that info to mean its a road game for them.
but then my eyes scroll to the scoreboard and i see BOS at the bottom: its a celtic home game! what's wrong with this (TV) picture??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,263 • Replies: 5
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:53 am
Region Philbis: As far as I know, the NFL has always had the home team in the dark jerseys. Traditionally, however, the other major team sports have had the home team in the white jerseys.

I don't know when this changed: I think the NHL only started allowing teams to play in their road jerseys at home some time in the last decade or so. That hasn't bothered me too much: the Blackhawks red jerseys are much better looking than their home whites.

On the other hand, it irks me when a baseball team has a dark-colored jersey as its home uniform. I always associate those with batting practice jerseys, so it seems weird when the players take the field wearing them.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:14 am
i believe the rule in the NFL is the home team decides which uni they wanna wear, often gaining a psychological edge on the opponent -- i.e. i think most home teams force the cowboys to wear the blue...

the NHL did the dark@home version in the late 60's, and revived it again either last season or this...

at least in MLB the home team wears the white pants with the black tops.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:34 am
In baseball, this constitutes heresy. I never thought i'd live to see the day . . .
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:35 am
baseball-wise, i've traced it back to those funky pittsburgh pirates of the 70's:
Quote:
The Pirates abandoned the concept of home/road uniforms. They adopted three sets of uniforms (pin stripes, black, gold) that could be mixed-and-matched into 9 different combinations. The undershirt and socks could be black or gold depending on the color combination. The gold crown cap became a lighter shade of yellow. I suspect that the "old gold" didn't quite match the 1977 mix-em/match-em gold uniforms and was made more yellow to match the bumble bee uniform shade. That would mean the "old gold" pillbox cap only lasted 1 season (1976, although I haven't seen this detailed anywhere, it is obvious that there were two shades of gold caps in our history). A black pillbox cap with gold P and gold stripes was also added to the collection.

the oakland A's might've started the trend of multiple uni's.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 01:41 pm
They did have funky, old-timey-type hats, but the whole thing was ruined by the conspicuous use of polyester. Anyway, that's my opinion.
0 Replies