The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

vikorr

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:53 pm
@mysteryman,
Do you have more than one race of black people living in the US? Is it just African-Americans you are referring to, or all black races living n the US?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:06 pm
@mysteryman,
They're convicted on murder charges. Civil Rights charges would be suprefluous.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
The blacks scream
and threaten riots.

What's their alternative? Dumb submission?
revelette

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:12 pm
@mysteryman,
It was the assumption that he made that because there were males in the past who robbed the gated community (in the case of Zimmerman), Trayvon Martin was therefore suspicious because he was walking in the rain looking at houses. (his words to that affect) The defense even justified Zimmerman profiling Trayvon Martin because of black males in the past committing burglaries in his closing argument. It was the assumption that Trayvon Martin was guilty of something for no apparent reason that is the issue related to civil right issues. If in these days of protest a black person kills a white male because he was a white man, then he too would be charged with a hate crime as well as murder. (I vaguely recall an incident in the last few days, not sure exactly)

mysteryman

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:15 pm
@revelette,
But when was the last time you heard of a black person, after being found NOT guilty, being charged with violating the civil rights of a white person they had killed?

I have never heard of that happening.
BillRM

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:16 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

Teaching their young males to obey the laws and not go around assaulting people for example who had annoy them for doing things like following them on public streets might be a good start.

An one thing for sure not to riot and harm and or kill people of all colors that had done them zero harm.

Walmart did not harm Trayvon.

Footnote the leading cause of young black males deaths are not accidents as it is in all other groups, or whites or police but other young black males.
revelette

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:17 pm
@mysteryman,
Actually, the federal civil right investigation began before Zimmerman was found not guilty. It was set aside when the State filed charges against him, but it has been ongoing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:20 pm
@mysteryman,
Not relevant; it's usually the family member who files a civil suit.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:24 pm
@BillRM,
You're going round in circles Bill.

Walmart will be insured. A rise in premiums across the nation proportional to any damage done. And your crowing will goad them.

Plenty overtime though for some I should think. Every cloud has a silver lining.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Who is behind all this in Florida?

I've no idea. I could guess cubans, since they tend to be conservative in some ways, but that would be silly of me, and I can't make that leap. I could guess white retirees. Hmmm.

Not everyone in Florida votes.
Bring out the vote!
Also, bring out political activism.
firefly

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:52 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
How come its always whites that are charged with violating a black person civil rights when they kill them?
I have never heard of a black person facing a federal civil rights charge when they kill a white person.

Could that be because more whites exhibit racial motivations when they kill blacks than blacks do when they kill whites?

Do you hear of many homosexuals facing civil rights violations for killing someone because he's straight?

Quote:
But when was the last time you heard of a black person, after being found NOT guilty, being charged with violating the civil rights of a white person they had killed?

I have never heard of that happening.

Here's one I thought of right off the bat.

Lemrick Nelson, Jr. (black) was acquitted of murder as a hate crime, in a NY State court, in the 1991 death of Yankel Rosenbaum (white orthodox Jew).

He was then tried on federal charges.

Quote:
In 1997, Nelson was convicted in federal court of violating Rosenbaum's civil rights. However, that verdict was vacated on appeal due to unfairness in the jury selection process.

A retrial was held in 2003. There were two primary issues of contention: whether Nelson's actions had been motivated by prejudice and whether Nelson's actions caused Rosenbaum's death...

On May 14, 2003, the jury found Nelson guilty of violating Rosenbaum's civil rights, but he was not found to have caused Rosenbaum's death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemrick_Nelson#Killing_of_Yankel_Rosenbaum

Nelson was sentenced to 10 years on the civil rights violation.

BillRM

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 04:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Not everyone in Florida votes.
Bring out the vote!
Also, bring out political activism.

Hold on tightly 1/3 of all adult black males can not vote in Florida due to them having some form of a felony conviction.

If Sharpton and his like care about the black underclass that kind of injustice would be what he would be addressing along with the gangs problem that had lead to a very high death rate for young black males at the hands of other young black males.

But Sharpton would not care to see such problems address as he make his living off maintaining a racial divide.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:12 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
The blacks scream
and threaten riots.
spendius wrote:
Yes, the same as the whites;
e.g., if anyone of any race follows anyone of any race
no one becomes violent about so innocuous an event.
If it were ME, that 's what I 'd do, peacefully n civilly.
No one wud be in danger of my beating his head on the street,
nor of shooting him either, in the absence of an attack, e.g., a robbery.

Just continue to do it the same way that we have always done it,
without inventing fony new offenses of following folks.

I don't think that 's asking too much.

David
OmSigDAVID

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:18 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
BillRM wrote:
Teaching their young males to obey the laws and not go around assaulting people for example who had annoy them for doing things like following them on public streets might be a good start.

An one thing for sure not to riot and harm and or kill people of all colors that had done them zero harm.

Walmart did not harm Trayvon.

Footnote the leading cause of young black males deaths are not accidents as it is in all other groups,
or whites or police but other young black males.
How many of those homicidal male blacks did Sharpton or Jesse Jackson
demand, in nationwide demonstrations, be criminally prosecuted????

I dunno, but I suspect
that the accurate answer is O.
spendius

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Why not "ofensez" Dave.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:23 pm
@spendius,
because it sounds more like an S, to me
OmSigDAVID

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:25 pm

I gotta admit that Travon gave us a lot to debate about; pass the time.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What about all the extra wasted effort with the second "f"?

You need consistency old chap. Affected fads are no good.
RABEL222

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:31 pm
@BillRM,
It seems that you and he agree on one thing anyway.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:33 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
What about all the extra wasted effort with the second "f"?

You need consistency old chap. Affected fads are no good.
Maybe in the future we will agree against use
of double letters; cud be.
0 Replies