from Justice Scalia ?

David
oralloy

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 04:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Care to reveal how u differ
from Justice Scalia ?

He focuses exclusively on civilian self defense.

That part of the right is certainly important, but I would like it better if he also addressed:

a) the right of militia members to keep military weapons at home, and

b) the requirement that the government have an armed militia for people to join if they so desire.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:41 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Care to reveal how u differ
from Justice Scalia ?

He focuses exclusively on civilian self defense.

That part of the right is certainly important, but I would like it better if he also addressed:

a) the right of militia members to keep military weapons at home, and

b) the requirement that the government have an armed militia for people to join if they so desire.
U know that Mr. Heller only
litigated his right to keep pistols in his apartment.
That was a strategic decision, based upon the observed
incrementalist history of the labor movement. Anything else comes later.

David
Advocate

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 04:45 pm
The right to bear arms rests only with the militia.

The original colonies were afraid that the new federal government would seize the weapons of their militiamen. Thus, the founding fathers made the second amendment, which guaranteed that the guns would not be seized.

It is quite clear that the second amendment doesn't give everyone the right to bear arms. The conservative majority on the court is wrong once again.
BillRM

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 04:49 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
It is quite clear that the second amendment doesn't give everyone the right to bear arms. The conservative majority on the court is wrong once again.

It wonderful to have such a constitutional expert on this website.

footnote it was not formal militiamen for the most part that attacked the Brits on their return to Boston after Concord but just everyone who could get there with a firearms of any type.
Advocate

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:08 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

It wonderful to have such a constitutional expert on this website.

footnote it was not formal militiamen for the most part that attacked the Brits on their return to Boston after Concord but just everyone who could get there with a firearms of any type.

That doesn't contradict my statements.
BillRM

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:24 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:

That task I will leave up to the founding fathers.....

John Adams:

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense."

Patrick Henry:

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."

Noah Webster, 1787:

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."

Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters from the Federal Farmer, 1788:

"Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

George Washington's address to the second session of the First U.S. Congress:

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour."

oralloy

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:27 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

That argument is logically untenable.

Before you can logically argue that any right is limited only to militiamen, you first need to have militiamen.

There are other issues with it too, but let's start here.
Advocate

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:43 pm
@oralloy,
Try reading the second amendment. Maybe you can tell us where it is wrong.

Are you saying there were no militiamen when the amendment was made?
oralloy

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 06:11 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
Try reading the second amendment.

I already know it by heart.

Advocate wrote:
Maybe you can tell us where it is wrong.

Probably not.

Advocate wrote:

No. I am saying there are no militiamen today.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:13 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Advocate wrote:

Advocate wrote:

Probably not.

Advocate wrote:

It is obvious that Article I Section 8 contemplates militiamen of selected militia,
i.e., government-financed n equipped militia,
as distinct from well-regulated militia, private militia,
mentioned in 2A as being the beneficiary of a citizen's right to KABA.
It is possible that there might exist private militia in America.

Arguably, the mutineers aboard United Airlines Flight 93 on 9/11/1
had organized themselves into a de facto well-regulated militia
(i.e., non-government militia) before thay took the plane back from the Moslems.

Arguably, the merchants who armed themselves in defense from
the L.A. race riots were also de facto well-regulated militia,
as were the Mormon militia of the 18OOs, the critical factor being
that government have no hand in controlling those militia,
whose primary function was to prevent government from running away
with the country as was later done in Russia & Germany.
MontereyJack

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 09:27 am
Absolute historical rubbish, David. Militias were always government-organized and controlled, David, from when they were first developed in England under the Tudors. In fact, there are instances during the Revolution of peopple petitiioning local and colonial govenrments to form militias and being turned down.
Government defined the equipment they should have and the training they were required to participate in. That's what "well-regulated" means.
Baldimo

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 09:34 am
@MontereyJack,
Sorry the Supreme Court seems to disagree with you. No need for a well regulated anything.

Do you accept the SCOTUS ruling on the ACA (tax, fine)? If so then you have to accept the ruling on the 2nd Amendment. They were made by the same "Conservative" court.
Advocate

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:41 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Advocate wrote:

Advocate wrote:

Probably not.

Advocate wrote:

So what? They come and go.
Advocate

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:46 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

That task I will leave up to the founding fathers.....

John Adams:

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense."

Patrick Henry:

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."

Noah Webster, 1787:

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."

Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters from the Federal Farmer, 1788:

"Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

George Washington's address to the second session of the First U.S. Congress:

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour."

I guess you realize that such individual statements didn't make it into the constitution. In fact, the founding fathers purposely kept no minutes of the constitutional convention, because many of them were coming and going. Such individual statements that you show do not help in interpreting the second amendment.
0 Replies

Advocate

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:48 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Advocate wrote:

That argument is logically untenable.

Before you can logically argue that any right is limited only to militiamen, you first need to have militiamen.

There are other issues with it too, but let's start here.

The amendment doesn't cover nonmilitiamen. It merely says that militiamen have the right to bear arms.
Advocate

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

oralloy wrote:

Advocate wrote:

Advocate wrote:

Probably not.

Advocate wrote:

It is obvious that Article I Section 8 contemplates militiamen of selected militia,
i.e., government-financed n equipped militia,
as distinct from well-regulated militia, private militia,
mentioned in 2A as being the beneficiary of a citizen's right to KABA.
It is possible that there might exist private militia in America.

Arguably, the mutineers aboard United Airlines Flight 93 on 9/11/1
had organized themselves into a de facto well-regulated militia
(i.e., non-government militia) before thay took the plane back from the Moslems.

Arguably, the merchants who armed themselves in defense from
the L.A. race riots were also de facto well-regulated militia,
as were the Mormon militia of the 18OOs, the critical factor being
that government have no hand in controlling those militia,
whose primary function was to prevent government from running away
with the country as was later done in Russia & Germany.

There is no conceivable valid argument that terrorists can constitute a militia.
Advocate

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:53 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Advocate wrote:

Advocate wrote:

Probably not.

Advocate wrote:

It is of no moment whether or not there are militiamen today.
Advocate

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 11:13 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Sorry the Supreme Court seems to disagree with you. No need for a well regulated anything.

Do you accept the SCOTUS ruling on the ACA (tax, fine)? If so then you have to accept the ruling on the 2nd Amendment. They were made by the same "Conservative" court.

While we have to accept the decisions of the court, we don't have to agree with them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 06:36 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Government defined the equipment they should have and the training they were required to participate in. That's what "well-regulated" means.

Wrong again.

"Well regulated" meant that the militia in question had trained to the degree that they could fight as a single coherent unit, as opposed to fighting as a bunch of unorganized individuals.
0 Replies