Artist didn't exist but sells big??? Any help appreciated.

TDE

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 04:24 pm
Supposedly a James or Jason Frexas, Freixas, Friexas, Frexias, or Fraxeis was an artist who sold a good deal of work to the John Winsch Publishing Co. in the early 1900's which was in turn published as postcards in German printing houses. Winsch in turn marketed these miniature pieces of art in the USA. Halloween postcards by this artist sell for a $100 to $500. His work is recognizable and distinguishable from other artists, particularly his children. BUT I CAN'T FIND ANY REFERENCE THAT THIS ARTIST EVER LIVED OR EXISTED OTHER THAN STATEMENTS OF ART AND POSTCARD SELLERS THAT OFFER NO VARIFICATION THAT THIS ARTIST HAS ANY EXISTANCE, BIOGRAPHY, OR BASIS IN REALITY. Any help in gaining information on this particular artist would be greatly appreciated.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,192 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:22 pm
There are a lot of google images for work by Jason Freixas https://www.google.com/search?q=jason+freixas,+artist,+about&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48293060,d.cGE&biw=1600&bih=717&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=V9PIUcacPIbBigKt2IG4Bg

It looks like he was a commercial artist -- the equivalent might be someone who draws cards for Hallmark -- so I'm not surprised you're not finding an artist biography on him.

I'm sure they're collectable in the same way that many vintage cards are collectable.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:30 pm
The cards are most likely collectable because of who they were published by:

Quote:

John O. Winsch 1910-1915
Stapleton, NY

A very important publisher of artist signed and holiday cards. They are especially known for their Halloween and Thanksgiving cards. Winsch used European artists to work directly with his German printer. (most likely Obpacher Bros.). Samuel L. Schmucker was one of their better known artists who created the Winsch Girl. Fred Kolb, Katherine Eilliot, Charles Levi, and James Frexas also created cards for them. They produced almost 4,000 different designs, many of which were issued in sets. Though most of their cards were manufactured in Germany, some were printed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Many of their cards do not carry the firms name, though they all have a similar graphic design on their backs. Other publishers however took advantage of this and began using a similar back hoping to mislead customers and capitalize on the higher prices that Winsch cards fetched. Winsch was the co-manager of the Art Lithographic Publishing Company in 1915, but his exact tenure is uncertain. He seems to have resumed publishing postcards under his own name sometime after the end of World War One until about 1925.
0 Replies

croak48

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 02:47 pm
@TDE,
I read somewhere well before access to the internet that Jason Freixas (that name and spelling) was Canadian-American. Postcard publication began with 1909 "Winsch" postcards (before the 1910-15 design copyright cards and the only American artist with the Winschback postcards before 1910), with the 1910-15 "Winsch" copyright postcards, and with the c.1920-c.1925 "Winsch" postcards without copyright imprints. During the WWI hiatus in Winsch publication 1916-c.1919, Freixas postcards were issued by Gottschalk-Dreyfus-&Davis, Fairman (Pink of Perfection), and Gibson. There's a set or two of Stecher postcards during the 1910-15 years that appear to be Freixas (quite different style from the 1909-1915 Winsch Freixas images) and a set or 2 1909 Whitney that might or might not be Freixas (rather doubtful). There are a few German-market Freixas postcards, images same as Winsch postcards but different design presentation, with GOM logo (Gebrueder Obpacher, Muenchen). Obpacher Brothers, Munich, was the actual publisher of the U.S. Winsch postcards. John Winsch was only manager of Obpacher's U.S. operations. Person name copyright imprints with most American postcard groups indicate only managers or operatives of the publishing company. As with much publication history, there are few details known, much unknown, much misinterpretation or misunderstanding. For example, 1907-1909 Winsch postcards are almost all images from Victorian UK artists (mostly unidentified or uncertain identification except several Helena Maguire animal images and one identifiable Harriett M. Bennett image, with several more probable). and considerable UK artist presence with 1910-15 Winsch postcards. Some of the Maguire and Bennett images occur with Obpacher German-market postcards and with its French market postcards (no publisher imprint) and UK market postcards distributed by Wildt & Kray. Some of the UK artist Winsch images date back to 1890s UK greeting card original publication. Moreover, some of the UK artist Winsch images occur with earlier U.S. publication--early 1900s greeting booklets with imprint "Art Lithographic Publishing Co., New York...printed in Munich...Lithographic Artistic Company, London." ALPCo and LAC were the Obpacher corporate U.S. & UK corporate names corresponding to Obpacher's German corporate name Lithographische Artistische Anstalt (not sure about spelling--operating from memory).

Obpacher dates back at least to 1882 in UK and American-market art publication. Obpacher's key part in the histoory of international art publication is difficult to trace because of the lack of publisher imprints with most of its products--true also of W. Hagelberg, Berlin, Albrecht and Meister, Berlin, and our own International Art Publishing Co., New York. That there has been little or no awareness of four of the six key international art publishing operations (the other two, Tuck and Nister, imprinted product consistently and their publication history is fairly clear, with exception of some of their Euro associate publisher products) is an indication of the general lack of information and understanding in art publication history.

The same lack of identification, specific information, and understanding prevails regarding artist publication history. The bulk of postcard images are unidentified artists and specific information about identified artists is mostly unavailable or unknown or mistaken. For example, when I accidentally discovered Harriett M. Bennett 5 or 6 years ago through a Winsch postcard image I was trying to make out as from Frances Brundage, I had no idea what the artist's name was and it took a year to find related images in 1887 Nister children books with the illustrator's name stated--and then no one I consulted knew of this artist by name--except Sarah Steier, who knew her book illustration work, and a collector in Australia who had identified her postcard publication before I did. Subsequent searching found extensive publication 1882-early 1920s, including the first international art publication 1885, that places Bennett in the narrow circle of the 5 key artists in art publication as measured by amount, extent, and years in international art publication...yet not on the radar of collectors. Another example is Ellen Clapsaddle, whose 1907-1920s signed postcard publication is well known and places her as the largest artist presence in American publication, but unknown to most collectors is her extensive unsigned U.S. ephemera publication 1899-1907. Nor are collectors aware of the extent of her Euro (and UK) publication 1899-1929 that made her the largest single artist presence in Euro postcards. While her international publication has no imprint from the Wolf-International Art Publishing Co., all that publication was from Wolf-IAPCo associate publishers or distributors. Thus, IAPCo was, as its name states, international--in fact the largest international art publishing operation in the 1900s--ranking with Hagelberg, Obpacher, Tuck, and Nister (plus perhaps A&MB) as the key publishers in international art publication history as measured by amount, extent, and years. Many other international publishers but by comparison small scale and short time. In regard to mistaken knowledge, Clapsaddle's personal history has been twisted by a garbled account by a later generation of the Wolf family about how she was stranded in Germany at the outbreak of WWI and was hysterical when rescued by Peter Wolf, so traumatized that she never did any art afterwards. Not true. Much artwork afterwards. Moreover, she was in Germany alone specifically on company publishing business. Moreover, she returned to Germany after the war on company business and was not only company artist but investor in company operations in German postcards in the 1920s. The record shows she was not of character to be hysterical or traumatized. Specifics regarding her 3 business stays in Germany, early, 1910s, and 1920s will be detailed in an upcoming Clapsaddle book on Clapsaddle by Judith Toll-Booher.

It may seem I know much otherwise unknown about artists and publishers, but I assure you I know very little--and what I have found has been entirely accidental and lucky coincidence in trying to trace Brundage side publication--not exactly research but searching. ha.

Returning to the subject of Freixas, besides postcards there are a few 1910s Freixas diecut Winsch valentines and many 1920s miniature booklet and diecut Winsch valentines (no publisher imprints), plus many large diecut 1920s valentines of less fine printing from an undetermined publisher. Only a few of the Winsch, Gibson, and Fairman postcards are signed--signed only "Freixas," no first name or initial.

I hope these observations will be helpful and reassure you that you are not alone in frustration with lack of available specific information about artists. Specific information simply isn't available in most cases. I have seen various different spelling of Freixas, for example, by noted dealers...Frexis, Frexias, etc. I myself have at times misspelled the name as Frexias. ha.

Regards, Jon Hatfield

timur

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 03:16 pm
If someone is interested, they talk about Jason Freixas here:

George und Dorothy Miller: Picture Postcards in the United States 1893-1918, publisher: Clarson N. Potter Inc., New York 1976, pages 229 bis 230.
0 Replies

TDE

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 06:08 am
@croak48,
Thanks for your time in sharing. I am determined to see if I can't find some tangible evidence of Freixas's existence. I agree with your data where I am familiar with it. I was not aware any work with Stetcher. I do see his work showing up anywhere I find Sam Schmucker's work showing up. So far I've not been able to substantiate that he was a real person. By that I infer another artist may have created Jason Freixas as a means to sell more of their art in a different style to the same publisher. I am given to understand this was not an altogether alien practice, though I would be hard pressed to give specific examples.
Perhaps you could share some insight with me if you possess any information as to the actual size and art media of the works that were submitted by the various artists to the post card publishers for consideration. I would imagine there was some sort of standard. I have purchased several standard sized framed prints that are also post cards, so I'm given to think that the works were perhaps of a size suitable for framing. I just have never seen any information on how the actual procurement process worked with individual publishers.

Enjoyed all the information you have shared. Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner, but life outside my historical interests required my fullest attention. Hope this finds you well. Would like to continue the conversation. Tom
0 Replies