kev

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:09 pm
Thats a coincidence Cav, why just today I cooked a pan of black beans, problem is they started off as baked beans, does anyone have a recipe for getting the burnt black stuff off a pan?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:12 pm
Kev

You're a worry!

Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:58 pm
<what to do with that dinner invitation from kev? :wink: >
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:03 pm
Toss pan....
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:53 pm
This probably won't help much but I'll tell you anyway! I went to LIDL and bought a tin of chicken curry a few years ago...got it home...put it in a pan as the one you are describing...blackened but just usable...simmered it...ate it...threw up...

Why, you are asking, is this anything to do with this topic...?

Well, when I collected my stomach together I went to clean the pan, and guess what...the black had gone and the pan was silver where the curry had been!

All I can say is my poor stomach!
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:13 pm
So you're saying use chicken curry to clean the pan?
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:35 pm
Pretty much yeah! Well only that once! I wouldn't recommend eating it so its about all its good for...
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:47 pm
I'll keep that in mind for next time. Wink
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:27 am
Yukyuk yuk! lol
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:51 am
I just heard that if the pan is oven safe, you can pop it in a self-cleaning oven and run the clean cycle. When it cools down, apparently it washes up real nice. I haven't tried it for my pot yet, but I might.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:03 pm
Cool. . . that's something to keep in mind too. I love using the Easy off, but if I can do it without chemicals.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 08:54 am
All of those problems have the same answer: put water in pan, add baking soda, bring water to boil, allow to cool. Burnt stuff should be easy to remove. If not, repeat above.

Do not put pan in oven and run on cleaning cycle: you can not even leave oven racks in while running cleaning cycle.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 05:37 pm
I believe an expired credit card is excellent for
scraping pots!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 07:11 pm
I have some over-zealous new-cookers living with me. One has burnt several of my pans. I tried scrubbing, boiling baking soda, etc. But then she came home with scotch bright sponges - they are amazing. It still takes some elbow grease, but my favorite pans are looking a lot better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:22 pm
I just burnt my dinner and the pot, my best one, which is a Le Crueset enamelled cast iron pot.

Some here know I have a very diminished sense of smell, as in close to none. (Yes, yes, I can taste food.) Usually when this happens, about once a year, the smoke alarm will clue me in, but the back of house alarm probably needs a new battery. Though I think I changed them fairly recently, time flies. I was doing some bookkeeping....

Dinner would have been garlic in a peppery olive oil with wee bit of butter and a mass of sliced crimini and oyster mushrooms, simmering in vegetable broth before I would add broken fettucine bits. I never got to the fettucine bits. The mushrooms et al are a blackened mass encrusted on enamel blackened inside and out.

I know those scrubbers work pretty well, but I wish there was some simple thing, like... dipping the pot in something magical, or like the old mayonaise trick for getting off adhesive stickies from bathtubs.

Ah, well, I'll read back on this thread and pick out some advice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:45 am
OK, the baking soda thing works....
0 Replies