Paula Dean Fired By Food Network Over Racial Slur

Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:13 pm
@firefly,
Apropos of nothing, they deep-fat fry Twinkies. Wonder what that tastes like (b'sides greasy).
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:20 pm
@Ragman,
I had em in MAINE AT THE Skowhegan State Fair. They were covered in a sweet batter and that was quickly fried in deep fat. They were really vile and that inside crème was like eating Pahoehoe.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:34 pm
@Ragman,
Talking about Twinkies, I think I read recently that they're going to start making them again. Children's lunch boxes are filled with them.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:58 pm
http://foodnetworkhumor.com/wp-content/uploads//paula-deen-illustration.jpg
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 10:15 pm
http://joronomo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/paula-deen-recipe-for-disaster.png
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:22 am
Quote:
Much of this licensed merchandise is made overseas in countries like China, Hong Kong and Thailand. In fact, suppliers have imported 330 tractor-trailer loads of Paula Deen products in the last six years, according to Panjiva, a firm that tracks global shipments of goods coming to ports in the United States.
One key supplier is Meyer Corp., a cookware distributor based in Vallejo, Calif., that holds a license for Paula Deen kitchenware and tableware. Meyer is the No. 1 importer of Paula Deen-branded merchandise, and has imported 75 tractor-trailer loads of her goods since July 2007, according to Panjiva.
Michaels Stores Procurement Co. Inc. (a subsidiary of crafts retailer Michaels Stores) and MVP Group International, which makes the Paula Deen candle collection, are other top importers of Paula Deen merchandise.
One silver lining for suppliers is that some had already been cutting back on Paula Deen goods.
In fact, imports of Paula Deen products have been steadily declining since 2010, with the volume of last year's imports less than a third of their 2008 peak, according to Panjiva.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/02/news/companies/paula-deen-suppliers/?iid=s_mpm&hpt=us_bn5

the real reason companies have been so fast to cut Deen is that her brand was dying, and now they can invoke a morality clause in the contract and get away free. her shows were losing audience rapidly her she crap has been selling poorly, with the money drying up it was time to ditch the bitch. the story line that she blew up her life by saying nigger will however be the one believed, because it is the more appealing story, it is the one that people want to believe.
BillRM

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:05 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
he real reason companies have been so fast to cut Deen is that her brand was dying, and now they can invoke a morality clause in the contract and get away free. her shows were losing audience rapidly her she crap has been selling poorly, with the money drying up it was time to ditch the bitch. the story line that she blew up her life by saying nigger will however be the one believed, because it is the more appealing story, it is the one that people want to believe.

Perhaps however the "story" of how she have been mistreated in the eyes of her customers had renew the demands for her goods driving her book for example to number one position at Amazon.
farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 08:19 am
@BillRM,
still at it eh boys
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 10:28 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

still at it eh boys

this IS a developing story, however if you are bored you can always fire up the tractor and go plow something.
farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 11:23 am
@hawkeye10,
I have, You guys are seemingly rehowing the same rows several times so , rather thann the nature of a "Developing story" Youre becoming rote.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 08:08 am
Quote:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/paula-deen-blackmail-suspect-arrested-250-000-extortion-attempt-article-1.1391342

Man tries to blackmail Paula Deen in $250,000 extortion plot

Thomas George Paculis was picked up by the FBI after attempting to extort the beleaguered celebrity chef by exposing ‘'true and damning' statements she had allegedly made.

By Margaret Eby AND Daniel Beekman / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Friday, July 5, 2013, 5:13 PM

Updated: Saturday, July 6, 2013, 1:30 AM

Print
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 10:43 am
Quote:
Paula Deen, agent part ways after racial slur fallout
July 5, 2013

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Paula Deen announced Thursday that she has cut business ties with the agent who helped make her a Food Network star and launch a media and merchandising empire that has largely crumbled in the wake of her admission that she used racial slurs in the past.

Deen had worked with New York agent Barry Weiner for more than a decade. She has said he was instrumental in getting her show Paula's Home Cooking on the Food Network in 2002. She gave no reason for her parting with Weiner in a prepared statement.

"Paula Deen has separated from her agent," Deen's spokeswoman, Elana Weiss, said in an email Thursday. "She and her family thank him for the tireless effort and dedication over the many years."

Deen's breakup with one of her key partners comes after a turbulent two weeks that have left the celebrity chef's network of business deals in shambles. It all started within days of the public disclosure of a legal deposition in which Deen admitted under oath to having used the N-word.

The Food Network passed on renewing Deen's contract and yanked her shows off the air. Smithfield Foods, the pork producer that paid Deen as a celebrity endorser, dropped her soon after. Retailers including Wal-Mart and Target said they'll no longer sell Deen's products and publisher Ballantine scuttled plans for her upcoming cookbook even though it was the No. 1 seller on Amazon. Even the diabetes drug company that made the much-criticized deal to hire Deen as a paid spokeswoman dumped her.

Weiner worked to turn Deen into a comfort-food queen since she was little more than a Savannah restaurant owner and self-publisher of cookbooks who earned raves for her fried chicken.

In her book Paula Deen: It Ain't All About the Cookin,' Deen recalled meeting Weiner through TV producer Gordon Elliott, who was convinced they could turn her into a star.

"Barry and Gordon felt like there was a show somewhere inside this Paula character that could be very successful," Deen wrote. "They probably courted Food Network for two years trying to push me at them."

Deen also noted in her book: "Barry is affectionately known in my family as Barry Cuda. Perfect name for an agent."

Deen's business deals began falling apart after she was questioned under oath in May as part of a civil lawsuit filed last year by Lisa Jackson, a former manager of Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House, which Deen co-owns with her brother, Bubba Hiers. Jackson says she was sexually harassed and worked in an environment rife with racial slurs and innuendo.

Ultimately it was Deen's own words that proved damaging. Asked in her deposition if she had ever used the N-word, she replied: "Yes, of course." That she also insisted "it's been a very long time" seemed to matter little to the companies paying to use her name and image with their products. Neither were they swayed by Deen's apologies in online videos and in person with the Today show's Matt Lauer

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/07/04/paula-deen-n-word/2490543/

The same media that created the image of this non-entity, propelled her to celebrity status, and helped to substantially line her pockets, simply proved they could undue her earning power just as quickly. What the media giveth, the media can take away.

I don't think that getting a new agent will help her image seem any more appealing to potential new business contacts.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 10:59 am
Quote:
July 6, 2013
Should America Ever Forgive Paula Deen?
By Ishmael Reed

Does celebrity chef Paula Deen, widely attacked for her use of racial epithets, deserve forgiveness?

For a publisher’s classics series, I’ve written the afterword for “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” and “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,” both of which show the horrors of slavery, and how those who would be considered “good people” cooperated with the bartering of slaves. The afterword was published on July 2,2013 by Signet.

“The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” was published seven years after the Hayes Tilden Compromise of 1877, which symbolized a reconciliation between the north and south. The compromise led to the withdrawal of federal troops from the south, leaving the newly freed slaves, at least on paper, to the mercies of terrorism. It ended the first post race period. (The second post race period has been ended by the Robert court’s recent decision to invalidate a portion of the 1965 Voting Rights Act.)

Huckleberry Finn, whose father could be a present day Tea Party member, after sharing a raft with Jim, a fugitive slave, finds that Jim is more than property; he’s a person who has goals, loves his family and not just an abstraction, “a nigger.”

This is such a shock to Huck, he concludes that Jim must be an exceptional black. He has to grapple with the errors about blacks with which he has been indoctrinated by his learning and upbringing.

In the afterword, I point out that Frederick Douglass, in his memoir “The Life and Times of Frederick Douglass,” uses the hated term at least ten times, yet there are no calls for Douglass’s book to be banned as there have been for Twain’s books. You even have critics maiming Twain’s work in order to make them politically correct, which is like a vandal ripping off the arm of an ancient piece of sculpture, or the Taliban destroying Buddhist monuments.

So why the difference between the treatment of Twain and Douglass? I suspect that it’s because those who are outraged by Twain haven’t read Douglass. During my “formal” education, nowhere was I introduced to slave narratives written or recorded by black Americans whose witness to the American society of their time is just as powerful as that of Alexis de Tocqueville.

I doubt that Deen, who was recently cut loose from the Food Network, came across the works of black authors during her education. Indeed, if we had a branch of forensics that would trace the origin of some ham-fisted bigoted statements like the ones for which she and others have been called upon to apologize and ask for forgiveness, we might find it in the American school curriculum.

Deen says she wants to “learn and grow,” but what kind of opportunity did she have to learn in schools that are devoted, obsessively, to the study of what American intellectuals and academics refer to as “Western Civilization,”at the exclusion of the study of the histories and cultures of blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans and Asian Americans? I’ve been traveling to Europe since I was a teenager. Europe is where the real Europeans live. There is no consensus among European intellectuals and scholars about what the term Western Civilization means. I can imagine the kind of southern education that Deen had. A place where Jefferson Davis has landmarks named after him and is elevated over Lincoln who is still hated in some parts of Dixie.

When those in charge of teaching young people do have an opportunity assign books by black authors they choose books that repeat the stereotypes about blacks that are available in the movies and on television. Though Hispanics are now the largest minority, few titles by Hispanic writers even make it to school reading lists. As for Native Americans, forget it.

Recently a New York publisher discussed the difficulty in finding Hispanic literature. In the city where the company does business, there exists the Nuyorican cultural movement, which has received notice in Europe and Asia. In 2008, The Nuyorican Poets Cafe, the hub of the Nuyorican cultural experience, celebrated its 35th anniversary. It was featured in the movie “Short Eyes,” which featured the work of the late Puerto Rican playwright Miguel Pinero. The late Nuyorican Poet Pedro Pietri has part of a Lower East Side street named for him. On the west coast, both the Poet Laureate of California, Juan Felipe Herrera, and the Poet Laureate of San Francisco, Alejandro Murguía, are Hispanic males. If a major publishing company has difficulty negotiating the multi-cultural U.S., how does one expect Deen to find her way around?

So though Deen’s apology was accepted by some of her working class black fans, she was mocked by television pundits. On “Meet The Press,” her situation was described as “a debacle.” Which institution has the highest percentage of blacks in attendance? One of Chef Deen’s restaurants or one of the Sunday talk shows like “Meet The Press,” “State of the Union,” “This Week,” or “Face The Nation,” which all have been criticized for their lack of diversity, a problem that plagues the industry at large? Media Matters issued a report on May 13,2013, that invites a type of rhyme for which Jesse Jackson is known, maybe something like: those who are not clean should not point fingers at Deen. Media Matters found “A review of guests on 13 evening cable news shows on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC during the month of April 2013 reveals that these networks overwhelmingly host male and white guests.”

So are we going fire or ostracize everybody who makes a stupid slur about a minority, or should we provide Deen an opportunity, to, in her words, “learn and grow”?

I had a chance to make life miserable for a student of mine. I chose not to. I entered my class one day and found written on the board, “Dinner with Professor Reed. Bring your own watermelon.” I knew who the culprit was. But I decided to let him dangle. He had the reputation for being a troublemaker in other classes. He reminded me of myself. As a student at the University of Buffalo, I drove some of my professors crazy. The incident occurred about a week before the end of the quarter. I said that I knew who had committed the offense and that I would report him to the dean after the vacation period. He fessed up. I told him that he had an option. I could report him to the dean or he could work with the playwright Ed Bullins at Berkeley’s Black Repertory Theater, one of the oldest black theaters in the country. He chose to work with Bullins.

For ten weeks, he became Obie award winner Bullins’s assistant. When Bullins’s plays opened, I found that not only had he become Bullins’s assistant but had a role in one of his productions. This was a kid who was from an upper middle class southern California family, whose only contact with blacks was through the media. I don’t know how he feels now. Maybe he became a member of the Klan, but that experience working at a black theater with a great playwright is something he’ll never forget.

So how do we all get rid of our inner Archie Bunker? As a result of about forty five years of connecting with ethnic intellectuals, white and colored, I think that I’ve gone a long way in shrinking mine. They’ve taught me and I have taught them.

Through education? Don’t look to the current school curricula or media to provide a cure. During the week that Deen was the mainstream media’s Bogey Lady, the Supreme Court rolled back the 1965 Voting Rights Act. While Deen was mocked, many in the media treated Judges Samuel Alito and Antonin Scalia’s legal mind shadow Clarence Thomas with reverence.

Ishmael Reed is Visiting Scholar at the California College of the Arts and is the author of such novels as “The Free-Lance Pallbearers” and “Reckless Eyeballing.” He publishes the online magazine Konch at IshmaelReedpub.net
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/07/06/should-america-ever-forgive-paula-deen/
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:36 pm
@firefly,
PD has to do something to me before I can forgive her, and it does not sound like many can as most people are saying that she has never been anything but nice to them.
firefly

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
So why have you been referring to her as "the bitch" in your previous posts if most people, who know her, describe her as a nice person?

You've described her in very unflattering terms, having nothing to do with the current controversy.

What justifies your calling her a "bitch"?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:26 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
So why have you been referring to her as "the bitch" in your previous posts if most people, who know her, describe her as a nice person?

because my theory is that she has tended to be a bitch to do business with, as a business partner. there has pretty clearly been the sweat southern fat chick act being put on by a tough as nails savvy business woman who will not hesitate to shank her business partners
firefly

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
there has pretty clearly been the sweat southern fat chick act being put on by a tough as nails savvy business woman who will not hesitate to shank her business partners

The blubbering woman we've seen in her recent videos and interviews hardly seems "as tough as nails."

How do you know she's shanked her business partners? Or wouldn't hestitate to shank them?

If that was the case, business associates would have stopped contracting with her long ago if they couldn't trust her.

So where is this at all "clear"?

If anything, she doesn't shank her business partners. It's her standing by her crude and offensive brother/business partner that's really gotten her into this current mess.

Your repeatedly referring to her as "the bitch" does not seem at all justified.

Not all savvy, or even tough, businesswomen are "bitches".
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:52 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The blubbering woman we've seen in her recent videos and interviews hardly seems "as tough as nails

when the illusion is shattered one is traumatized, she freaked.

Quote:
How do you know she's shanked her business partners? Or wouldn't hestitate to shank them?

refusing to rework the shows in the can after she came out diabetic, refusing to redo a promotional video that was too raunchy to be used by her promoter, and I am almost positive lying to partners by omission about her diabetes for three years.

Quote:
If that was the case, business associates would have stopped contracting with her long ago if they couldn't trust her
they were locked into contracts and non disclosure agreements....now they have invoked the morality clause to get free.
BillRM

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 02:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
they were locked into contracts and non disclosure agreements....now they have invoked the morality clause to get free.

I would love to be on a civil jury that needed to decide if a word spoken a generation ago and unproven claims coming out of a civil suit is enough to allow them to back out of contracts.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 03:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

refusing to rework the shows in the can after she came out diabetic, refusing to redo a promotional video that was too raunchy to be used by her promoter, and I am almost positive lying to partners by omission about her diabetes for three years.

One minute you say she's a savvy businesswoman, now you're giving examples of her not being very savvy.

Well, if true, those were all good reasons for her business partners to part company with her, having nothing to do with the current controversy.

And Food Network, which was her major platform, simply refused to re-new her contract, they didn't break her contract. They were under no obligation to continue renewing her contract, particularly if her ratings were falling, as they were.

None of that justifies your calling the woman "a bitch". Particularly if most people who know her describe her as nice, which is something you pointed out.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:01:43